Airplane mode... no Wi-Fi, why? The physical button was switched off!

KCmetro

So, there I was, getting ready to download Windows 10 to put on USB, and I opened up the "MediaCreationTool" and just left it in the background while I was doing other stuff. I went back to it and it popped up a screen waiting for me to give it the go ahead to install Windows 10. No thanks. So, I canceled it out. At the same time, my internet suddenly cut off. There were issues with upgrading to Windows 10 in the past, so I plugged in the ethernet cable and started looking up workarounds. I went through all the trouble of troubleshooting and reinstalling drivers only to find out that the little switch on the side of the laptop ended up sliding to the off position. The Wi-Fi on/off switch. Okay, so lesson learned. Really, why the hell does that switch even exist? I always adjust network stuff in configs, never with a physical button or switch. I'd like to take that switch, rip it out, and permanently fix the position to On. Okay, end vent. :)

1 hour ago, KCmetro said:

So, there I was, getting ready to download Windows 10 to put on USB, and I opened up the "MediaCreationTool" and just left it in the background while I was doing other stuff. I went back to it and it popped up a screen waiting for me to give it the go ahead to install Windows 10. No thanks. So, I canceled it out. At the same time, my internet suddenly cut off. There were issues with upgrading to Windows 10 in the past, so I plugged in the ethernet cable and started looking up workarounds. I went through all the trouble of troubleshooting and reinstalling drivers only to find out that the little switch on the side of the laptop ended up sliding to the off position. The Wi-Fi on/off switch. Okay, so lesson learned. Really, why the hell does that switch even exist? I always adjust network stuff in configs, never with a physical button or switch. I'd like to take that switch, rip it out, and permanently fix the position to On. Okay, end vent. :)

It is because, before Windows 10, turning off wireless for the average user was a pain.

It was initially introduced back in the days when turning off wireless gave a noticable increase in battery life. 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Interesting stuff.

...well I need to break my laptop's wi-fi switch. :P

Or maybe just tape it or glue it to On position.

1 minute ago, KCmetro said:

Interesting stuff.

...well I need to break my laptop's wi-fi switch. :P

Or maybe just tape it or glue it to On position.

Or go in the BIOS and turn off the switch from working (usually, you have that option).

24 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Or go in the BIOS and turn off the switch from working (usually, you have that option).

Great idea! I'll give that a try.