Changing to a new motherboard

Recently bought a new 6700k and planning to change the current motherboard that i'm using that is gigabyte h110m ds2 ddr4...i'm planning to upgrade to z170 motherboard, didnt decide what brand yet..so the question is can i change the motherboard without clean format my ssd ? , there are alot of article outhere that saying u need to start fresh when changing a new motherboard, but a lot of forumers said that the clean format wasnt neccesary , and i just have to swap the hardware just like that..

Just now, blitzshockz said:

Recently bought a new 6700k and planning to change the current motherboard that i'm using that is gigabyte h110m ds2 ddr4...i'm planning to upgrade to z170 motherboard, didnt decide what brand yet..so the question is can i change the motherboard without clean format my ssd ? , there are alot of article outhere that saying u need to start fresh when changing a new motherboard, but a lot of forumers said that the clean format wasnt neccesary , and i just have to swap the hardware just like that..

it is possible but there will be some driver issues and you may need a new windows Key

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

When I swapped a mobo with cpu with a seperate mobo and cpu and I had to put in my license key again and it reconfigured windows automatically. 

1 minute ago, Matt_98 said:

it is possible but there will be some driver issues and you may need a new windows Key

not a new windows key if you boot off the same drive

you dont have to format your drives... unless you want too... also to mention that you have to install the drivers of the new mainboard after 

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

When I swapped a mobo with cpu with a seperate mobo and cpu and I had to put in my license key again and it reconfigured windows automatically. 

Thanks  for the answer have  i 12 tb of stuff in 4seperate hdd, didnt want to reformat it because it relate to each other

1 minute ago, blitzshockz said:

Thanks  for the answer have  i 12 tb of stuff in 4seperate hdd, didnt want to reformat it because it relate to each other

12tb is a bit :D

wait for other statements. 

@blitzshockz

edit:
I don't remember if there were any problems. I have had problems with my pc before. 

7 minutes ago, DaBeggad said:

The key is tied to the motherboard

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

4 minutes ago, DaBeggad said:

12tb is a bit :D

Buy used 3 wd blue 4tb for 150usd ,  usage under 2500hours..that what happens..lol

Just now, blitzshockz said:

Buy used 3 wd blue 4tb for 150usd ,  usage under 2500hours..that what happens..lol

150 for 3 HDD?!?!?! I spent 120 for a SINGLE 4tb HDD. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

150 for 3 HDD?!?!?! I spent 120 for a SINGLE 4tb HDD. 

Got lucky..didnt have warranty, the owner had them lying around for years

15 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

The key is tied to the motherboard

its not... i changed my mobo a few times but didnt change anything else and didnt format the drives... i never had to do anything about windows or the key or someshit

2 minutes ago, DaBeggad said:

its not... i changed my mobo a few times but didnt change anything else and didnt format the drives... i never had to do anything about windows or the key or someshit

Was it a retail Key?

PSU tier list- 

5 minutes ago, Matt_98 said:

Was it a retail Key?

it was the version you get from upgrading from win 7 which was a retail

Just now, DaBeggad said:

it was the version you get from upgrading from win 7 which was a retail

Then that can be activated on multiple PC's, I think the limit is 3

PSU tier list- 

3 hours ago, DaBeggad said:

If your windows license key is a OEM key.

Then your activation will fail after a motherboard swap.

This is because OEM keys getting linked to system id aka motherboard serial number.

If you have a retail license key, then it will reactivate without any problem.