Torn Between Cherry MX Blue and Red

Omie

So this will be my first high end gaming build with a i7 6700k and GTX 1070. I want to experience the most out of it and I'm torn between a Cherry MX blue or red keyboard.

I researched a little about them but I've been hearing that MX blues are not that good for gaming especially in games where you double tap, etc. But at the same time, I really like the clicky sound of blues.

MX reds are said to be more preferred for gaming but I don't like how there is no feeling of when you know the key is actually being registered. With MX blues however, I also don't like not being able to double tap properly which is important when sprinting in most games, etc.

I don't know which to go for.

6 minutes ago, Omie said:

So this will be my first high end gaming build with a i7 6700k and GTX 1070. I want to experience the most out of it and I'm torn between a Cherry MX blue or red keyboard.

I researched a little about them but I've been hearing that MX blues are not that good for gaming especially in games where you double tap, etc. But at the same time, I really like the clicky sound of blues.

MX reds are said to be more preferred for gaming but I don't like how there is no feeling of when you know the key is actually being registered. With MX blues however, I also don't like not being able to double tap properly which is important when sprinting in most games, etc.

I don't know which to go for.

it's actuation force of the keys for more precise games that require multiple accurate clicks in rapid succession I'd go for the mx reds. I personally like the blues more due to the feel and due to the slight lower actuation force. 

I also like them because it's obviously more clicky. Reds are typically more gaming oriented but blues can be depending on the game itself. You need to actually try them to know. Go to a best buy or some tech relater to see how they feel and see which you prefer. 

Having used a keyboard with MX blue switches for years, i have to say that i don't notice any issues with double tapping or anything...

The noise however makes me go crazy when i'm typing long texts.

I guess it depends from person to person.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, spiralfuzion said:

it's actuation force of the key's for more precise games that require multiple accurate clicks in rapid succession I'd go for the mx reds. I personally like the blues more due to the feel and due to the slight lower actuation force. 

Looking at cherry switches reds have a lower actuation, remember you don't have to bottom them out for it to register a click

Personally i would go for blue switches (or brown for quieter switches) just because i like having the click, nothing more too it

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

1 minute ago, Rupe said:

Looking at cherry switches reds have a lower actuation, remember you don't have to bottom them out for it to register a click

Personally i would go for blue switches (or brown for quieter switches) just because i like having the click, nothing more too it

I'm assuming for registration? I should have clarified haha. It is better for registration that's the main reason its better for gaming. But yeah if you're more of a gamer you should go red. both are clicky but they have different types of clicks so try them out in person before committing. 

I'm currently using MX Reds on a k70 keyboard. I have tried blues in the past, but personally I feel that the reds are easier for gaming for me because I don't even need to fully press them down for them to register. It's all up to personal preference really. 

I personally find the Reds to be a little too sensitive outside of gaming. I was alot more accurate when typing with my old keyboard -> first I thought it was just a matter of getting used to it, but I still have a problem after a couple months.

Very good for gaming though.

I have my first mechanical keyboard with MX Blue switches. Before I used only membrane keyboards which are more like Red switches.

After two days I got used to gaming with the Blue switches and for typing they are awesome.

However they are loud as hell so I got O-Rings from ebay to dampen them a bit which made it better but they are still loud. I don't mind it but be aware of that.

I've had keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches for almost 3 years now and still haven't gotten really comfortable on writing with it...
There's odd feeling when you press the key, you never know did it register or not, unless you bottom it out.
Also they are so light that you can accidentally press in middle of two keys and then it registers both without you even noticing, because there's no actuation point.
Installing O-rings helped a lot, I can now bottom the keys more comfortable without making too much noise.

For games where you need to smash the keys like a maniac they are really good, but for writing and general use MX Blues could be the better choice.
Guess it's just a personal preference, I like the lightweight feel and quietness of MX Red switches, the only real noise comes when the spring and switch mechanism returns back to it's position.