Case Fans on CPU Fan connector?!

Hey guys,

I have a slight dilemma. My generic Acer Motherboard has no case fan connectors and a CPU fan connector. I would like to get some fans and I was wondering what my options are. One option in particular is using a fan splitter and connecting 2 case fans and one CPU one to the fan connector. Is that safe? All other suggestions are appreciated but I prefer a method that supports changing the fan speed.

I have more dedocated WAM than you on my Minecraft server!

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

i5 4460 w/ Raijintek Aidos cooler

XFX TS 650W PSU

Cheap OEM Acer motherboard w/ Cheap dollar tree Micro-ATX case

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

1TB Seagate Barracuda HHD

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

What type of PC do you have? I'm assuming a generic Acer mobo means it's not a custom build.

If you've got a 3.5" or 5.25" bay available, you might consider a fan controller.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

What type of PC do you have? I'm assuming a generic Acer mobo means it's not a custom build.

If you've got a 3.5" or 5.25" bay available, you might consider a fan controller.

Normal micro ATX but the board was from an old PC. Will the fan controller auto adjust the fan speeds?

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

Just now, somerandomguy12 said:

Normal micro ATX but the board was from an old PC. Will the fan controller auto adjust the fan speeds?

There are automatic controllers and manual controllers. You choose.

Just now, Naeaes said:

There are automatic controllers and manual controllers. You choose.

Do internal 3.5" work?

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

1 minute ago, somerandomguy12 said:

Do internal 3.5" work?

I guess but there's a display and buttons and knobs and all. If internal is your only option maybe you should look into Aquaero 5. You really don't have a 5.25" bay so you could use something less elaborate like NZXT Sentry

5 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

I guess but there's a display and buttons and knobs and all. If internal is your only option maybe you should look into Aquaero 5. You really don't have a 5.25" bay so you could use something less elaborate like NZXT Sentry

How about the using a fan splitter in the Cpu fan slot?

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

every motherboard has different specs for fan current and its very hard to find the specs. I have 3 low power fans on my cpu header

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

every motherboard has different specs for fan current and its very hard to find the specs. I have 3 low power fans on my cpu header

Right okay, I don't trust my generic Acer MB so that would be a no no.

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

6 minutes ago, somerandomguy12 said:

Right okay, I don't trust my generic Acer MB so that would be a no no.

you could take the rating from your current fan and then buy two fans at half that rating. Noctuas are very low mA in comparison to others

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

There are splitters that use power directly from the PSU. All the fans will run at the same RPM as the CPU fan.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Ignore

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

12 hours ago, somerandomguy12 said:

How about the using a fan splitter in the Cpu fan slot?

If you do that, the motherboard will adjust both fans according to CPU temps/utilization. So if the intent of this new fan is to cool something other than the CPU, it might not be the optimal choice. But lacking other option, it's definitely better than nothing. I'd still go with a molex adapter instead.

19 hours ago, somerandomguy12 said:

Hey guys,

I have a slight dilemma. My generic Acer Motherboard has no case fan connectors and a CPU fan connector. I would like to get some fans and I was wondering what my options are. One option in particular is using a fan splitter and connecting 2 case fans and one CPU one to the fan connector. Is that safe? All other suggestions are appreciated but I prefer a method that supports changing the fan speed.

http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Cables&type_sub=Fan

You connect it to the motherboards PWM connector and one of your sata connections (power). You can connect up to 3 4pin fans to it and all will have the same rpm's thanks to PWM. In short..