Is an SSD really that much faster, what do I do when i get one

So I recently purchased a Crucial mx300 and it will be here soon. My OS is already on an SSD and then a few programs. That's only 256gb, the mx300 is 550 or right around there. When i load on a majority of my games and programs will they load significantly faster.

Also, how do I move my games to a new storage device.

It's slightly faster, but... Honestly not much in comparison to a good 7200RPM drive

Whenever I migrate, I just use CloneZilla and then Gparted, then I copy the games into the Steam library and select "install" on every single one and let them find the data.

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

If you want to use it as a boot drive, you will have to reinstall windows. at least to my knowledge. as to what to do when you get it

1st open case

2nd plug it in

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Yeah, the loadtimes will be much faster. For steam you will have to point your pathway to the new drive and while I've never done it myself, you probably have to find a setting to ensure Steam is just looking in the right area to load the games.

3 minutes ago, alexbianchi15 said:

So I recently purchased a Crucial mx300 and it will be here soon. My OS is already on an SSD and then a few programs. That's only 256gb, the mx300 is 550 or right around there. When i load on a majority of my games and programs will they be significantly faster?

Also, how do i move my games to a new storage device.

it wont be that much faster...

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

You don't have to reinstall Windows, you only have to run a migration software (look it up) which will copy the whole selected source drive to the destined drive. Then you can just format the old drive and do whatever you want with it.

As for performance in games you'll surely see a difference in load times. I used to have a 240 GB SSD and a 1 TB 7200 RPM SSHD, which I eventually had to install some games on that just were too big for the SSD. Now I have everything on a 1 TB SSD, and I notice a huge difference in load time (for instance the loading time of my game server is now 5 times shorter). As for improved performance, I'm not so sure about that, I guess it depends on the game.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

Thx for the fast replies, i was mainly thinking of load times in skrim and other Bethesda games lol. I think it will be worth it considering i got it on a discount.

41 minutes ago, alexbianchi15 said:

When i load on a majority of my games and programs will they be significantly faster?

It can significantly improve load times and possibly reduce texture streaming where applicable, but it's all highly dependent on the game. Storage isn't the only thing that dictates loading performance, so not all games benefit as much or as noticeably from an SSD as others. Any games that already load quickly enough from mechanical storage probably won't change much on an SSD. I don't normally recommend people buy an SSD solely for their benefits to gaming.

The biggest difference is the performance of Windows itself. Boot up and shut down times are much better when Windows is installed on an SSD, and many folder operations just feel much snappier. Load-heavy desktop applications like Adobe products are noticeably better as well. If you've ever felt the need to launch 5 Adobe Creative Suite applications simultaneously and have them all ready and responsive in a few seconds, an SSD will be pretty great to have.