Memory Issues

Go to solution Solved by Bannanabread04,

FINNALY a resolution. And the 3rd motherboard later. I borrowed a friends cpu (exact one) and it boots up just fine with all 4 ram sticks installed! That's gotta be crazy rare for it to happen? Just wanna say thanks for the help. As frustrating as it was. ?

ok, so before we get started heres my pc specs.

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz    37 °C
RAM
    16.0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1503MHz (17-18-18-36)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z170 S (LGA1151)
Graphics
    PHL 272G5DY (1920x1080@144Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (EVGA)    41 °C
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (EVGA)    36 °C
    SLI Enabled
Storage
    465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)    34 °C
    3726GB Western Digital WDC WD4002FYYZ-01B7CB0 (SATA)    37 °C

Now here's the issue, every time i try and run in dual channel mode using Dimm slots 2,4 like its recommended in the manual. I can't get it to boot. If i put one stick in the 2 slot it works. if i use one stick anywhere it works. I'm using Corsair Vengeance LED ram 2x8 GB @ 3000 MHz the only way i can get the 16GB to register or boot is when i put them in slots 1,2 and iv'e adjusted the bios to run them @ 3000MHz. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong or if there is something wrong with the motherboard. I've tried calling ASUS but they wern't much help. 

Maybe I have read this incorrectly (sorry if I have, I'm being trolled on another thread, losing my stride, but ho-hum).#

What you're saying is that you have a single DIMM chip (16GB) but you want to run it as if it were 2 chips (in separate DIMM slots)? You can't, it's a single DIMM. Dual mode will only work with 2 SDIMMS (1 in both slots). Oh, and they should be identical (2x 8GB for 16GB total, both with the same timings).

If I have misread your post, please reply and I'll correct! 

Sounds like something came out of the factory fucked up, or the mainboard doesn't support 3000MHz RAM. Does this happen if you set it to lower speeds?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Oh, I've got a fan. A stalking troll fan, but a fan nonetheless! Cheers matie!

To the O/P, good luck!

2 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Maybe I have read this incorrectly (sorry if I have, I'm being trolled on another thread, losing my stride, but ho-hum).#

What you're saying is that you have a single DIMM chip (16GB) but you want to run it as if it were 2 chips (in separate DIMM slots)? You can't, it's a single DIMM. Dual mode will only work with 2 SDIMMS (1 in both slots). Oh, and they should be identical (2x 8GB for 16GB total, both with the same timings).

If I have misread your post, please reply and I'll correct! 

Nope I have 2 DIMM chips 8 GB and it won't boot if I have them in any other configuration.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Sounds like something came out of the factory fucked up, or the mainboard doesn't support 3000MHz RAM. Does this happen if you set it to lower speeds?

I'll have to try and run it at lower speeds when I get home tonight, as I am at work now. -_-

11 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Ok so I've slowed down to 2133 MHz (the max the board is supposed to be able to handle. Even though I know of people that have ran higher MHz then I'm trying to run. And I've turned down the voltage to the sticks to what it says on the back of them. And I still can't boot to the bios. But in my PC specs it didn't even get the timing correct. It's supposed to be ran @ 15-17-17-35 but that's a little too advanced for me to change it in the bios.

Just now, Bannanabread04 said:

Ok so I've slowed down to 2133 MHz (the max the board is supposed to be able to handle. Even though I know of people that have ran higher MHz then I'm trying to run. And I've turned down the voltage to the sticks to what it says on the back of them. And I still can't boot to the bios. But in my PC specs it didn't even get the timing correct. It's supposed to be ran @ 15-17-17-35 but that's a little too advanced for me to change it in the bios.

Seems like the mainboard is faulty. If you have a friend with a Skylake desktop, try using their RAM in your system and vice versa. It you still have the problems with their RAM, it's the mainboard (likely) or CPU (unlikely), but if they have the problems with your RAM in theirs, then the RAM is faulty.

You might also be able to take the RAM to a local shop and have them test it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Fast ram speed compatibility is, in my experience, less good than many think. However, unless there is something wrong, I'd expect ram to run at base (2133) speed. Before you get to manual settings, put everything ram related to auto and see if that works. With manual, you might overlook something. Make sure XMP is off. If that boots in dual channel, at least we have a starting point. Also, check if your board has a newer bios. There has been a lot of updates from vendors since the release of Skylake and a fair amount of them are for ram stability.

Side note: I had trouble running Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 in an Asus board and it wouldn't boot at 3000 but did at 2800. The same board booted at 3333 with old G.Skill. The Corsair worked fine at 3000 in an MSI board.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Ok so get this... I went today and replaced the board with the z170A xpower gaming titanium edition and it does the exact same thing. Slots 1,2 work but 3 and 4 won't work. It's not my ram because I tried all 4 sticks in slot 2 and it boots but as soon as I try and run dual channel (2,4) it won't boot. But it will still boot with 1,2 populated.... could it be CPU related? I checked the pins on the board and everything seems to be ok.

23 minutes ago, GTBTK said:

updated the boards to the latest bios versions?

Yep. I'm trying a fresh install for windows. If for some reason that's it....

2 minutes ago, Bannanabread04 said:

Yep. I'm trying a fresh install for windows. If for some reason that's it....

I wasn't talking about reinstalling windows. It cant be that because you are having trouble POSTing at boot time and the PC doesn't know anything about windows at that time..

I was talking about checking the vendor website for the motherboard model you are using and make sure that you have the latest UEFI bios installed on the motherboard. that can improve memory compatibility

7 minutes ago, GTBTK said:

I wasn't talking about reinstalling windows. It cant be that because you are having trouble POSTing at boot time and the PC doesn't know anything about windows at that time..

I was talking about checking the vendor website for the motherboard model you are using and make sure that you have the latest UEFI bios installed on the motherboard. that can improve memory compatibility

Yea, I know what you meant. But yea the board is up to date.... I needed to install a fresh copy of windows anyway. 

sometimes if you over tighten the screws on the CPU cooler it can distort the motherboard making the ram not get good connections. Have you tried loosening the cooler and making sure that the thumbscrews are only an even finger tightness all the way around?

19 minutes ago, GTBTK said:

sometimes if you over tighten the screws on the CPU cooler it can distort the motherboard making the ram not get good connections. Have you tried loosening the cooler and making sure that the thumbscrews are only an even finger tightness all the way around?

Just loosened everything up and still nothing. 

2 hours ago, Bannanabread04 said:

it keeps repeating post codes : 55 0d 30 00 4c. When I have two sticks in that is.

Is that the sabertooth? the digital display on the board?

4 hours ago, GTBTK said:

Is that the sabertooth? the digital display on the board?

Nope, I already replaced the board with another. I'm using the z170A xpower titanium edition now. 

FINNALY a resolution. And the 3rd motherboard later. I borrowed a friends cpu (exact one) and it boots up just fine with all 4 ram sticks installed! That's gotta be crazy rare for it to happen? Just wanna say thanks for the help. As frustrating as it was. ?

for future reference, the MSI also has a memory ok type button that will try and find lowest common denominator settings so it will boot with some types of high speed memory