Picking out a new CPU

So 2 years ago I built my PC with an i3-4150. It's come time to upgrade that CPU, and probably my GPU (270x) as well. I've noticed my CPU has been lagging behind, as I mainly play CPU intensive games like Civ 6 and Cities: Skylines. I'm not sure where to start on a new one. I definitely want to step up to an i5, but I can't decide on staying with Haswell, or upgrading to Skylake. I have a B85 chipset motherboard so I can't overclock a new Haswell right now anyway, and that's something I'd like to start trying out, but it isn't a must have. I don't have the money to get everything I need to switch to Skylake (CPU, Motherboard, RAM) and a get new Graphics Card. So I just need some advice on if I should wait on Skylake, get a Haswell i5 as well as a new GPU (was thinking about the RX 480), or get a Skylake chip, mobo, and ram, but wait on the GPU.

Thanks a bunch!

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz | Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC MATE | GPU: MSI R9 270x | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury Red | Storage: ADATA SP600 128GB / WD Blue 1TB | PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ | Monitor: Acer S220HQL Abd 21.5" | Audio: Logitech Z213 Speakers | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma | PCPartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v8FNmG

get an i5 4460 or if you have more money 4690 (non k) and the 480 and you are good to go

I didn't know what to put here...

4 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Get Xeon e3 1231 and a gpu

Image result for but why

I didn't know what to put here...

43 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

For an RX 480, or a gtx 1060, anything more than a 4th gen i5 is overkill

Not really. Games are getting more and more CPU intensive. 

5 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Not really. Games are getting more and more CPU intensive. 

Yes, many games are cpu intesive, but 4th gen i5s are powerfull cpus 

53 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

Yes, many games are cpu intesive, but 4th gen i5s are powerfull cpus 

It mostly will do the job for 90% of games.

Some games are very cpu intensif tho, wich will requrie an i7 to achieve smoothest gameplay.

Your req definitely needs a hyper threading on it. If you can get a cpu with 4CORES and hyperthreading on it, it should be fine. for GPU, if you wanna stay on budget, rx480 should be fine. what is your budget btw? we can work better if you can tell us your budget. without knowing your budget, its like hit and miss..

"Strive to be the best and be the best!"

2 hours ago, KazuMae said:

Your req definitely needs a hyper threading on it. If you can get a cpu with 4CORES and hyperthreading on it, it should be fine. for GPU, if you wanna stay on budget, rx480 should be fine. what is your budget btw? we can work better if you can tell us your budget. without knowing your budget, its like hit and miss..

My budget is around $450, maybe push it to $500. That's for both the CPU and GPU together

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz | Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC MATE | GPU: MSI R9 270x | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury Red | Storage: ADATA SP600 128GB / WD Blue 1TB | PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ | Monitor: Acer S220HQL Abd 21.5" | Audio: Logitech Z213 Speakers | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma | PCPartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v8FNmG

7 hours ago, frozeNNN said:

Get Xeon e3 1231 and a gpu

This is really intriguing me. To my understanding, it's basically a 4690 but WITH Hyperthreading, so basically an i7 at that point, but without integrated graphics. Sounds like a really good deal. Any objections? 

11 hours ago, roboplex22 said:

This is really intriguing me. To my understanding, it's basically a 4690 but WITH Hyperthreading, so basically an i7 at that point, but without integrated graphics. Sounds like a really good deal. Any objections? 

Maybe 10% slower than i7. Really good cpu which will last for so long

16 hours ago, roboplex22 said:

My budget is around $450, maybe push it to $500. That's for both the CPU and GPU together

With that budget, I'd think the best bet would be a K series i5. It should be more than enough power for gaming. Are you looking at the 4GB or 8GB RX480?

I would say i5 6600 should be fine and use the rest for your GPU. but then you need an LGA 1511 socket motherboard.

"Strive to be the best and be the best!"

1 hour ago, Magnetorheological said:

With that budget, I'd think the best bet would be a K series i5. It should be more than enough power for gaming. Are you looking at the 4GB or 8GB RX480?

I was looking at the 8GB 480. The issue is that I've got a B85 board which can't overclock, so I might as well just switch to Skylake at that point, but then I wouldn't have the money for a new GPU. That's why the Xeon is looking quite intriguing. It works with my board, overclocking isn't possible with my motherboard anyway, it's more powerful than the non-K Haswell i5s, but isn't i7 expensive.

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware you were using a B85 board. But non-overclocked i5s are still great for gaming. I used to use an i5 4570 before I changed it for a 4790k last year on black friday. Performance for some games was better but a good number of  games did not benefit much from the upgrade. I'm not sure how Xeons stack up against consumer CPUs, but since you can't overclock, the raw performance on comparable Xeons should do just fine.