static void ContiniuousChecker()
        {
		while (true){
			//Do stuff here

Thread.Sleep(500);
            }

}

Hello,

I have made a c# program to look at an xml file and move the data and do what i wanna do with it. I need the program to run constant. I have it working but sometimes it crashes randomly with error "System.StackOverflowExcpetion" Make sure you dont have an infinite loop. I have it working like this. Any ideas on what could be causing crash at random times. Thanks.

{

//Do stuff here

Thread.Sleep(500);
            ContiniuousChecker();

}

WHY??

you have an enormous memory leak, just do

{
		while (true){
			//Do stuff here

Thread.Sleep(500);
            }

}

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

I see that you already have the answer, but remember that when using recursion you should also return. When you call a function memory is allocated for that function, it allows the function to use it again when it returns. If you keep calling new functions indefinitely, all of the memory will be consumed. So remember to only use recursion when you intend to return.

2 hours ago, espurritado said:

WHY??

you have an enormous memory leak, just do

{
		while (true){
			//Do stuff here

Thread.Sleep(500);
            }

}

Thanks, I thought of trying this just as i posted this and no isses for last 190Mins will see how it goes thanks.

2 hours ago, Ekras said:

I see that you already have the answer, but remember that when using recursion you should also return. When you call a function memory is allocated for that function, it allows the function to use it again when it returns. If you keep calling new functions indefinitely, all of the memory will be consumed. So remember to only use recursion when you intend to return.

I dont know if i need to return because i dont need anything else done apart from this?

3 hours ago, Fyfey96 said:

Thanks, I thought of trying this just as i posted this and no isses for last 190Mins will see how it goes thanks.

I dont know if i need to return because i dont need anything else done apart from this?

Every time you call a function, the address to return to is stored on the stack. This way, when the function is done, it can get that address from the stack in order to continue execution on the next line after the function call.

In your original code, the function "ContiniuousChecker" calls itself over and over again without ever returning. That means return addresses are endlessly put on the stack but never taken off, until the stack overflows. All you need is a endless loop like @espurritado demonstrated.

9 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

All you need is a endless loop like @espurritado demonstrated.

You don't even need a loop...

using System;
using System.IO;

namespace ConsoleApplication1
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            var watcher = new FileSystemWatcher(Directory.GetCurrentDirectory(), "test.txt") { EnableRaisingEvents = true };

watcher.Changed += (o, a) => Console.WriteLine($"{a.FullPath} {a.ChangeType}");

Console.ReadKey();
        }
    }
}

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

13 hours ago, Unimportant said:

Every time you call a function, the address to return to is stored on the stack. This way, when the function is done, it can get that address from the stack in order to continue execution on the next line after the function call.

In your original code, the function "ContiniuousChecker" calls itself over and over again without ever returning. That means return addresses are endlessly put on the stack but never taken off, until the stack overflows. All you need is a endless loop like @espurritado demonstrated.

Brilliant thanks been running for 18 Hours now and no issues anymore :)

On 12/3/2016 at 7:28 PM, Voze said:

Thanks for making my eyes bleed with that indentation.

I dont know what caused that but when i added to this it keeps moving over. It annoys me too. I always like my indents correct haha