1 minute ago, Lowspecgamer said:

no, it has to be Z97 chipset to overclock. the H81 chipset isn't for overclocking, it is the lowest end Haswell chipset

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

2 minutes ago, Apollo Refugio said:

no, it has to be Z97 chipset to overclock. the H81 chipset isn't for overclocking, it is the lowest end Haswell chipset

I thought the h81 series were made for the pentium g3258

Just now, Lowspecgamer said:

All over YouTube people are using h81 motherboards to overclock there pentium g3258s

Right, but they're not meant for actually overclocking the CPU. Z97 is the only board chipset that supports overclocking the G3258.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

its compatible, but it isn't overclockable. the G3258 is mainly for overclocking i think, so if not, just go for G3250. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

8 minutes ago, Lowspecgamer said:

Yes, you can overclock a G3258 on an H81 board if the board's BIOS supports overclocking.

You do not need a Z97 board to overclock a G3258. I've overclocked Anniversary Pentiums on H81M, B85 and Z97 boards with no issues whatsoever. The microcode thing that screws up Windows is no longer an issue.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

its compatible, but it isn't overclockable. the G3258 is mainly for overclocking i think, so if not, just go for G3250. 

I don't understand how in this video are they using a h81 to overclock their pentium g3258 

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Yes, you can overclock a G3258 on an H81 board if the board's BIOS supports overclocking.

You do not need a Z97 board to overclock a G3258. I've overclocked Anniversary Pentiums on H81M, B85 and Z97 boards with no issues whatsoever. The microcode thing that screws up Windows is no longer an issue.

Well how about the one I picked can I overclock on that

1 minute ago, Lowspecgamer said:

I don't understand how in this video are they using a h81 to overclock their pentium g3258 

Oh i guess you can overclock on an H81 mobo, i just know that Z97 overclocks really well.

Well how about the one I picked can I overclock on that

It's an ASUS, so I'd assume so. The boards that don't allow overclocking, IIRC, tend to be off-brand or OEM. Not 100% sure, but I don't know why you wouldn't be able to.

Just now, Apollo Refugio said:

Oh i guess you can overclock on an H81 mobo, i just know that Z97 overclocks really well.

True story: I got my G3258 to 4.5GHz stable on a B85 board. The highest I was ever able to stabilize it on either of the two Z97 boards it spent time on was 4.4GHz. The Anniversary Pentium is a weird little bugger.

Just now, aisle9 said:

It's an ASUS, so I'd assume so. The boards that don't allow overclocking, IIRC, tend to be off-brand or OEM. Not 100% sure, but I don't know why you wouldn't be able to.

True story: I got my G3258 to 4.5GHz stable on a B85 board. The highest I was ever able to stabilize it on either of the two Z97 boards it spent time on was 4.4GHz. The Anniversary Pentium is a weird little bugger.

lmao a b85 chipset overclocks better than a Z97. oh my life

1 minute ago, Apollo Refugio said:

Link me to a b85 motherboard 

1 minute ago, Apollo Refugio said:

I thought about trying to replicate that with a 4790K for funsies, but I don't like it when my computers catch fire.

I thought about trying to replicate that with a 4790K for funsies, but I don't like it when my computers catch fire.

you got balls for putting devil's canyon on the verge of life and death. im scared to overclock my i5 4590 on a Z97 board

19 minutes ago, Apollo Refugio said:

Actually, you can overclock using h81 chipset if you update the bios 

9 minutes ago, Lowspecgamer said:

Link me to a b85 motherboard 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/LRDwrH/asus-motherboard-b85mecsm

This is the B85M motherboard that I used to get to 4.5GHz.

That said, overclocking is more about the CPU than the motherboard, and that particular board outperforming a Z97 could have been (and likely was) a complete fluke. The point of a G3258 is to strap it to a cheap-ass H81 chipset and let it fly. The only reason I'd pair a G3258 with a Z97 board is if I were intending to replace it with an overclockable i5 or i7 in the not-too-distant future. Even the B85 board was purchased only because I got it on deep discount at Micro Center, and it was originally purchased for an i3-4150.

6 minutes ago, Apollo Refugio said:

you got balls for putting devil's canyon on the verge of life and death. im scared to overclock my i5 4590 on a Z97 board

Like I said, I thought better of it before attempting the 4790K trick. Not even sure if it would have supported overclocking for the 4790K, and after about ten minutes of consideration on the topic, I decided just to leave it as a quirk of the Pentium and not fry a $300 CPU.

6 minutes ago, Lowspecgamer said:

Link me to the best h81 

The best H81 board is the one that's on sale. Seriously, as long as it has USB 3.0 (and even that's optional depending on the case you choose) and is a name brand like ASUS, MSI, AsRock or Gigabyte, it's probably solid, and it probably supports overclocking. If you get one used (which is entirely possible, and at insanely low prices), you might have to update the BIOS before it'll OC.

Four RAM slots is a bonus, but again, if you're pairing more than 8GB of RAM with a G3258, you're spending your money in the wrong places.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/LRDwrH/asus-motherboard-b85mecsm

This is the B85M motherboard that I used to get to 4.5GHz.

That said, overclocking is more about the CPU than the motherboard, and that particular board outperforming a Z97 could have been (and likely was) a complete fluke. The point of a G3258 is to strap it to a cheap-ass H81 chipset and let it fly. The only reason I'd pair a G3258 with a Z97 board is if I were intending to replace it with an overclockable i5 or i7 in the not-too-distant future. Even the B85 board was purchased only because I got it on deep discount at Micro Center, and it was originally purchased for an i3-4150.

Like I said, I thought better of it before attempting the 4790K trick. Not even sure if it would have supported overclocking for the 4790K, and after about ten minutes of consideration on the topic, I decided just to leave it as a quirk of the Pentium and not fry a $300 CPU.

The best H81 board is the one that's on sale. Seriously, as long as it has USB 3.0 (and even that's optional depending on the case you choose) and is a name brand like ASUS, MSI, AsRock or Gigabyte, it's probably solid, and it probably supports overclocking. If you get one used (which is entirely possible, and at insanely low prices), you might have to update the BIOS before it'll OC.

people always shun ASRock, but i think their USB 3.0 headers are shit

5 minutes ago, Lowspecgamer said:

Link me to the best h81 

Asrock boards are known for its good overclocking capabilities, asus boards are also good. Just find the board with your preferred features from a reputable Brand, look up for the motherboard brand site, look fir the latest bios on your motherboard chipset. Then Download. Just google it. Lol

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The point of a G3258 is to strap it to a cheap-ass H81 chipset and let it fly

I, for one, wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

people always shun ASRock, but i think their USB 3.0 headers are shit

I was a pretty big fan of AsRock, then my last two boards from them (H81 and H110) failed me pretty miserably. The H81 had to be returned to Micro Center within a week of buying it because it just randomly up and died. There was no overclocking going on; it had an i3 on it at the time. The H110 board had one of the leads for the wifi tear straight out of the clasp that holds it to the M.2 slot, rending the board's wifi unusable. Customer support was slow to respond. Meanwhile, my main HTPC had a crappy USB wifi adapter hooked into it and was all but useless for streaming.

Gigabyte boards have yet to fail me, but their customer support is legendarily bad if something does go wrong. I tend to think that Gigabyte boards are the best deals out there right now. Priced below ASUS, but the BIOS is great, my Z97 overclocks like a champion (4.7GHz stable 24/7 on a 4790K, 1.265v, and I will be trying for 4.8), and they look pretty good.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I was a pretty big fan of AsRock, then my last two boards from them (H81 and H110) failed me pretty miserably. The H81 had to be returned to Micro Center within a week of buying it because it just randomly up and died. There was no overclocking going on; it had an i3 on it at the time. The H110 board had one of the leads for the wifi tear straight out of the clasp that holds it to the M.2 slot, rending the board's wifi unusable. Customer support was slow to respond. Meanwhile, my main HTPC had a crappy USB wifi adapter hooked into it and was all but useless for streaming.

Gigabyte boards have yet to fail me, but their customer support is legendarily bad if something does go wrong. I tend to think that Gigabyte boards are the best deals out there right now. Priced below ASUS, but the BIOS is great, my Z97 overclocks like a champion (4.7GHz stable 24/7 on a 4790K, 1.265v, and I will be trying for 4.8), and they look pretty good.

I only got ASRock becuz it was on open-box section. I have the Extreme4 Z97 which is know to be shit, but its working fine on me (knock on wood) and it'll last