Considering upgrading my CPU (also ebay)

I currently have an i5 3350p, and I've been trying to find a way to upgrade my PC without spending a ton of money. I don't want a new motherboard, so I'm stuck LGA 1155. I've been looking around on ebay and it seems that i5 3570K goes for around $100 (like this one). Is that a good idea, and is it worth upgrading even? Normally I just play Rocket League and GTA V, and GTA V is tends to dip below 60fps pretty often when driving or in crowded areas. I've felt for a while now that my CPU may be holding it back, but would a GPU upgrade give a better results (currently have a radeon hd 7950)?

Thanks for your time.

Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Intel i5 3350P @ 3.3GHz | 16GB RAM | MSI B75MA-P45

Samsung 840 EVO 256GB | Western Digital Black 1TB

Easiest way of finding out is by downloading MSI, and letting it show on-screen cpu and gpu usages. 

If your cpu is at 100% and your gpu is lower then there's bottlenecking going on by the cpu

If your gpu is at 100% but your cpu is lower, then there's bottlenecking being done by your GPU

I doubt your i5 will be having issues though 

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

Easiest way of finding out is by downloading MSI, and letting it show on-screen cpu and gpu usages. 

If your cpu is at 100% and your gpu is lower then there's bottlenecking going on by the cpu

If your gpu is at 100% but your cpu is lower, then there's bottlenecking being done by your GPU

I doubt your i5 will be having issues though 

As I remember, they're both basically always at 100%

1 minute ago, SouthernPotato said:

As I remember, they're both basically always at 100%

If that's really the case (I suggest you double check) then if you insist on upgrading, go with a better GPU. Then save the CPU upgrade for when you switch motherboard platforms

If you are interested in making your computer as a whole faster, a CPU upgrade will be worth it. Buying a new GPU would probably bottleneck the machine pretty badly.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

23 minutes ago, Wolther said:

If that's really the case (I suggest you double check) then if you insist on upgrading, go with a better GPU. Then save the CPU upgrade for when you switch motherboard platforms

If anything, the CPU would periodically  have less than %100 utilization because the GPU had %100 percent use every time I ever graphed it

21 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

IMO just get a E3 1230 and some 1866MHZ memory...

Hmm, can you explain why you think this one is better? It would go at 3.6 GHz which is faster than what I have, and it would have 8 threads, but does that help performance a lot in games? The 3570K I'm looking at would go at around 3.8 GHz, would that not be preferable? Interested to hear about it.

25 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

If you are interested in making your computer as a whole faster, a CPU upgrade will be worth it. Buying a new GPU would probably bottleneck the machine pretty badly.

If I was going to get a GPU, I was thinking I would wait until I could get something in the $200+ range, like a 1060. You reckon that'll not take to my current set up too kindly?

4 minutes ago, SouthernPotato said:

Hmm, can you explain why you think this one is better? It would go at 3.6 GHz which is faster than what I have, and it would have 8 threads, but does that help performance a lot in games? The 3570K I'm looking at would go at around 3.8 GHz, would that not be preferable? Interested to hear about it.

This has Hyper-Threading, so it basically acts like a i7 2600. But if I were you, I'd get a V2 as it's Ivy Bridge, PCIE 3.0 support, and clocked higher.

These videos should give you a idea.

As for bottlenecks, it's irreverent. I'm using a R9 Fury with my 8320 and having no problems, just I usually play around 1440P.

33 minutes ago, SouthernPotato said:

If I was going to get a GPU, I was thinking I would wait until I could get something in the $200+ range, like a 1060. You reckon that'll not take to my current set up too kindly?

Nah, that would be a very reasonable courae of action. For gaming, I'd delay cpu upgrades until the cpu struggles while the gpu waits.

And remember what a "bottleneck"  is: your system will perform better with better components, period. All a "bottleneck" would imply is that the gpu is overkill for what the rest of the system can handle,  not that your system will see a decrease in performance in any way. 

56 minutes ago, SouthernPotato said:

If you are certain a 1060 is what you plan to use in future iterations of your computer, then that is a reasonable purchase, but many titles would probably make the i3 a bottleneck in this situation. If you feel like you need more GPU power in the future, then you should wait and save. Buying preemptively will always lead to smaller budgets down the line.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

1 hour ago, Bubblewhale said:

The sandybridge/ivybridge e3s aren't like haswell they will not work in every lga 1155 board there are a couple of desktop chipset boards that support them, but not most, to ensure compatability you want a "c" series workstation/server chipset.

2 hours ago, SouthernPotato said:

I currently have an i5 3350p, and I've been trying to find a way to upgrade my PC without spending a ton of money. I don't want a new motherboard, so I'm stuck LGA 1155. I've been looking around on ebay and it seems that i5 3570K goes for around $100 (like this one). Is that a good idea, and is it worth upgrading even? Normally I just play Rocket League and GTA V, and GTA V is tends to dip below 60fps pretty often when driving or in crowded areas. I've felt for a while now that my CPU may be holding it back, but would a GPU upgrade give a better results (currently have a radeon hd 7950)?

Thanks for your time.

I would suggest a better gpu like a rx 470/  480, or a gtx 1060 first, that i5 is still plenty enough for modern gpus that 7950 is what is holding you back. It is pretty much on par with a 1050 or 1050 ti.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

14 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

The sandybridge/ivybridge e3s aren't like haswell they will not work in every lga 1155 board there are a couple of desktop chipset boards that support them, but not most, to ensure compatability you want a "c" series workstation/server chipset.

I would suggest a better gpu like a rx 470/  480, or a gtx 1060 first, that i5 is still plenty enough for modern gpus that 7950 is what is holding you back. It is pretty much on par with a 1050 or 1050 ti.

Under the motherboard CPU support list, it says it support's Xeons.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B75MA-P45.html#support-cpu