Screw-less Way to Mount Power Supply?

toastythomas
Go to solution Solved by Valkyrie Lenneth,

velcro/doublesided tape   or hot glue lol

doublesided tape is alot thinner then ductape ;D

I desire to transfer a proprietary power supply out of a pre-built HP system and onto a wooden board along with the motherboard and hard drive. I plan on cutting out some wood and placing the power supply on a block to stabilize it however, there is an issue. There is no mounting hole anywhere. The power supply mounts with a latch on the case. I was wondering about the safest way to secure it. Securing it cannot be with screws as there are no mounting points and I don't want to make my own mounting points at all costs. Any ideas? Thanks.

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG

Remember to drink water!

duct tape. But just looking at the PSU makes me want to shoot it. I would buy a standard size and make sure its from a reputable company........please. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

duct tape. But just looking at the PSU makes me want to shoot it. I would buy a standard size and make sure its from a reputable company........please. 

ITS a OEM psu and there sometimes really weired shapes

My life

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

CAN'T LOL I WISH. Proprietary motherboard connectors. I wish.

On top of that, I want to keep this really cheap as this is a side project and I have no source of income at the moment (14 yr old). Do you think the duct tape adhesive would melt under the heat of the PSU?

Edited by toastythomas
more

Remember to drink water!

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

velcro/doublesided tape   or hot glue lol

Again, would the heat of the power supply melt the adhesive?

Remember to drink water!

Lol duck tape or Velcro. I really wouldnt go and throw that in a new build but I used a 300w oem dell psu on my old p2 for about 6 months a few years ago so I say go for it! 

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

You  know unless your moving it a lot you can just leave it there without attaching it

My life

1 minute ago, RS2007GOD said:

Lol duck tape or Velcro. I really would go and throw that in a new build but I used a 300w oem dell psu on my old p2 for about 6 months a few years ago so I say go for it! 

Remember to drink water!

2 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

no because it wont get hot enough on the outside, if that thing is like 40*C on the outside then that thing inside will be like friggen 90-100*C xD no way man :P it wont be able to get that hot before it shuts down

only thing u need to worry about with the sticky sides is dust and dirt, could aswell jsut glue the tape onto it so it doesnt fall off but it should stick good enough without glue also :P

(◑‿◐)

Oh, God! It burns! It's breaking my vision worse than SlenderGuy! #KillWithFire #It'llBurnItself

Seriously, though, I'd recommend some double-sided tape.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

no because it wont get hot enough on the outside, if that thing is like 40*C on the outside then that thing inside will be like friggen 90-100*C xD no way man :P it wont be able to get that hot before it shuts down

Thanks man! That's just the general knowledge I was looking for.

Remember to drink water!

zip ties? Drills holes and zip tie it maybe? 

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

only thing u need to worry about with the sticky sides is dust and dirt, could aswell jsut glue the tape onto it so it doesnt fall off but it should stick good enough without glue also :P

I have a new problem though. If I cut would out to support the power supply, the fan's (the part sticking out) exhaust be blocked by the wood and would it cause issues?

Remember to drink water!

3 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

I have a new problem though. If I cut would out to support the power supply, the fan's (the part sticking out) exhaust be blocked by the wood and would it cause issues?

yes, never make a psu with a fan passive... w/e u do make sure that psu fan runs and can get som air, thats all u need to worry about really

make holes in the wood or somthin or have atleast a tiny bit of space between like 5mm - 10 mm so it can get rid of the hot air, if a psu cant get rid of air it will only get hotter and hotter and hotter, till it can get rid of it < not too much space is needed but atleast some :P cant make it blank flat against the psu exhaust ofc

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

yes, never make a psu with a fan passive... w/e u do make sure that psu fan runs and can get som air, thats all u need to worry about really

half of the exhaust goes through the top of the unit and actually cools the unit and the other half goes out into nothing. if i blocked that bottom half, would there be issues?

Remember to drink water!

2 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

half of the exhaust goes through the top of the unit and actually cools the unit and the other half goes out into nothing. if i blocked that bottom half, would there be issues?

if it has 50% of the fans / exhausts space atleast to push air out its fine, will be a couple degrees hotter then usual but not a problem , aslong it can exhaust its warm/hot air it will be fine, it takes alot to overheat a psu , it could also be just that the fan itself will go at higher rpms then when it aint blocked off for 50%

(◑‿◐)

if it has 50% of the fans / exhausts space atleast to push air out its fine, will be a couple degrees hotter then usual but not a problem , aslong it can exhaust its warm/hot air it will be fine, it takes alot to overheat a psu , it could also be just that the fan itself will go at higher rpms then when it aint blocked off for 50%

So no worries?

Remember to drink water!

3 minutes ago, toastythomas said:

So no worries?

like i said aslong it can exhaust air somewhat atleast like 30% of its capacity then it should be fine, could be more noisy the more u block off its flow but thats about it , ul notice soon enough if it starts overheating coz psu fans go like friggen airplanes when their hot, those things will literally fly away when their overheating :D haha, short said ul see soon enough if it overheats or not, if u hear it starting to go like an airplane and only louder and louder it aint got enough space to cool itself

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

like i said aslong it can exhaust air somewhat atleast like 30% of its capacity then it should be fine, could be more noisy the more u block off its flow but thats about it , ul notice soon enough if it starts overheating coz psu fans go like friggen airplanes when their hot, those things will literally fly away when their overheating :D haha, short said ul see soon enough if it overheats or not

Thanks for now. I will update you the second I get around to this.

Remember to drink water!

1 minute ago, toastythomas said:

Thanks for now. I will update you the second I get around to this.

u cna always drill holes the wood or somthing that is blocking it btw ;P shouldnt be a problem at all 

(◑‿◐)