CPU idles at 70°C, and remains at 70°C while gaming?

Go to solution Solved by Tycho,

Can you give us a picture of what your thermal paste looks like?

My CPU has had overheating problems in the past as it hit 98°C once which prompted me to rush out and snag a Hyper 212 EVO cooler for it. My problem is that it idles at 70°C and entering a heavy gaming session has no effect on its temperature. I'm just concerned about how it's so hot while idle. It's the middle of a cold night here in California, so it's not just ambient temperature messing with the sensors. Help?

Hi.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

With that cooler it should be idling around 35-40C. Sounds like bad thermal compound. The fact the temps don't change when gaming means it might be thermal throttling. 

i7-4790k </> GTX980Ti </> 8GB DDR3 </>  ASUS Z97-A </> 512 NVMe </> LG 27" UHD IPS LED

I say pull your cpu, clean it,  slap some new thermal paste on in the "X" formation. My daughters heatsink on her comp got pulled off some(idk). She had the same heating temps with her 4790k.

19 hours ago, Tycho said:

I forgot to take a picture while looking at it, but I sure as hell need some more lol.

Hi.