i3 6100 or i5 4460s

TomR
1 minute ago, TomR said:

i5 4460s or i3 6100 for a budget gaming rig?

Get the 6500 with that budget

My Current Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO GPU: ASUS STRIX OC 1070 Motherboard: MSI Z170-A Gaming M5 Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 Storage: A-Data Premier 240GB SSD/Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM Case: NZXT S340 PSU: Corsair RM750i Monitors: Acer R240HY/ Dell S2716DG

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xwcjLD

For performance the i5 would be better, however i'd go with the 6100 just because of the upgrade options if you ever decide you want more (i5, i7, kaby lake)

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I already have a computer with a 6500. That's not what the question is.

There's a Black Friday deal for complete combo with i3 6100 with 1050 ti for about $430. There's also another deal for a prebuilt with i5 4460s and I can add a 1050 ti for about the same price.

5 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

For performance the i5 would be better, however i'd go with the 6100 just because of the upgrade options if you ever decide you want more (i5, i7, kaby lake)

Yeah good point

This is for a friends first gaming PC. He only wants to spend like $400 so it's a tough budget. i3 seems to make more sense For future upgrades

Just now, TomR said:

This is for a friends first gaming PC. He only wants to spend like $400 so it's a tough budget. i3 seems to make more sense For future upgrades

Futureproofing isn't really worth it with new technology always right around the corner. 

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

Futureproofing isn't really worth it with new technology always right around the corner. 

Unless he plans to upgrade within 1-2 months.

10 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Isn't that the same thing?

Not even close. Futureproofing means that you dont have to upgrade/replace.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED