PC Won't boot after windoze 10 update

Alir

I have Windows 10 Pro. Did an update and shut down yesterday. Doesn't boot now. I had my R9 390 in before. Didn't boot. Tried to boot Linux. Still doesn't boot. Note: I was running on old version of Ubuntu which DOES work with the 390. It can only boot to BIOS. EDIT: I have found that it wasn't booting linux because my dvd drive was NOT being recognised! No idea why. I think it's faulty as a result of the Windows update. Thanks Microsoft.

My build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PLwJm8

Opened up my case. Took my graphics card out. Took out all cables and reconnected... just in case.

Took out GPU and I am on internal graphics now. Windows was still not booting.

Any advice on what to do guys? I have no idea what Windoze is even doing when it updates. I have heard so many stories of things like this happening. Never thought it would happen to me.

I'm not completely out of ideas yet. Fortunately Linux booted. Going through data and backing it up. I've still lost a lot of data which was in other programs such as bookmarks and game progress for games that weren't saved in conventional places.

Edited by Alir
Formalities

Oh I forgot to mention. I've been getting some kind of (memory?) exception errors every time I shut down my PC. I thought it might be a RAM issue but kept delaying testing the RAM.

10 minutes ago, kirby99_2016 said:

My Windows 10 upgrade worked but it's also good to keep track of your PC when upgrading to see if it's going ok

Do you mean wait there while your PC is installing updates? A good idea but I generally shut my PC off when I'm knackered. No time to wait.

I'm hoping repairing Windows is possible. Going to see how it goes for now, but if anyone else has any info that is relevant, please share.

Huh. I've found my motherboard isn't detecting my DVD drive at all. Making this process a little more difficult.

I'm worried this could be the result of a faulty motherboard.

I contacted Microsoft customer support and the Microsoft employee said my PC has experienced a "system wide failure" and is offering me "no charge support". He/she is going to email me a link for me to resolve the issue.

I will get round to it tomorrow.

... didn't work. Windows 10 USB can't detect I even have an OS installed. Worth noting my partition isn't even detected. Not under gparted in Linux or under cmd > "diskpart" "list disk" "select disk #" "list partition".

No partitions are detected but I can access the files for some bizarre reason.

Thanks Windows.

Microsoft support.

Called them. Woman hung up after almost starting to tell me something, think it was an accident. I was expecting them to call back. Nothing.

Called again. This chat lasted almost an hour. Takes them forever to understand your situation. It was 5:30, 30 minutes after their call lines are supposed to close, and she told me there was nothing she could do. I have been scheduled with a call with Level 2 technicians tomorrow.

She said it could be a hardware defect, possibly with the HDD. I'm not convinced. I was getting error messages but that would be something wrong with the RAM, not storage.

Thanks Windows.

While booting the Windows 10 USB, the guy told me to:

Choose a custom install

Click next.

I was repeatedly asking him if this would format my hard drive. He said no. I said it will. He said no. He kept insisting this would only reinstall my OS and programs. He kept saying all my documents and everything else would be saved on the hard drive.

He kept insisting. So was I.

I did it.

To my unsurprise, It deleted my files.

Now I'm pissed. tbh, I saw this coming and so backed up everything possible (NOT everything though - files within programs especially those encrypted or encoded were lost). But Microsoft customer support are fricken useless if everytime you experience a problem, they tell you to reinstall Windows. Post a question in a Linux forum regarding Linux problems and you get REAL help. And Microsoft actually charge for this shit service? Yeah I'm sorry I was trying to stay nice but not only does Windows 10 screw up your machine, but their employees are useless at helping you.

I'm done.

You have no idea how much time of mine they've wasted (several weeks of reinstalling everything - I work full time and don't even have time for this at home!). If I knew this was the best support they could give me, I'd have told them to screw it yesterday.

I was actually expecting them to tell me to download something similar to MSDART or give me something to repair my computer. Nah. Format that shit and reinstall cos that's all we've been taught.

I have changed the wording of my original post.

Microsoft have wasted 2 days of my time.

For those thinking of contacting them, please for the love of God don't! Actual customer service is extremely hard to come by these days.