YouTube video render server

I am looking at buying a server. Is it possible for computers in various locations to connect to the server via port forwarding to transfer a project from power director 12 to be rendered in a file to upload to YouTube. With theses files could it store them on it's self. For all the computers to have access to them.

The server has 5gb's of ram which I will probably upgrade and a single old 3ghz zeon(dual compatible). 

Is this possible using free software. I would only have 4 computers communicating to the server. 

Thanks

Does power director 12 have a render server? That is your first thing to figure out. The other programs people normally use in such a fashion, like After FX, Blender, Cinema 4D, etc, all have specific render server modes where they either watch a folder for new projects, or have some method integrated into the regular software to send a project to another computer for rendering.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Update:

1.It seems that power director 12 does not have a render server. I am considering adobe after effects.  If you have any other recommendations for free editing programs please post them.

2.The current plan for the server is to install a gtx 570, another xeon, install 500gb's worth of hard drives and upgrade the ram to 8gb.

2 hours ago, Uskompuf said:

Update:

1.It seems that power director 12 does not have a render server. I am considering adobe after effects.  If you have any other recommendations for free editing programs please post them.

2.The current plan for the server is to install a gtx 570, another xeon, install 500gb's worth of hard drives and upgrade the ram to 8gb.

How do you intend to connect to all of these computers via the server? Where will the server live?

Is everything being done locally on a LAN (Eg: The server and all the clients are inside your house), or are you intending on transferring the projects over the Internet to then render the work?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

How do you intend to connect to all of these computers via the server? Where will the server live?

Is everything being done locally on a LAN (Eg: The server and all the clients are inside your house), or are you intending on transferring the projects over the Internet to then render the work?

I intend to connect the computers to the server via port forwarding with a password. Is this possible. The server will live in a closet and be on mostly 24/7.

I am intending to transfer the projects via the internet to be rendered in a compatible format for YouTube. Then I want to transfer the file to a file storage server next to it.  I want the file to be accessible by all clients in other locations. 

Server update:

1.Changed gpu to hd5770

2.Will this server be able to render in 1080p then upscale to 4k.  I do not mind how long it takes.

Thanks Luke

14 minutes ago, Uskompuf said:

I intend to connect the computers to the server via port forwarding with a password. Is this possible. The server will live in a closet and be on mostly 24/7.

I am intending to transfer the projects via the internet to be rendered in a compatible format for YouTube. Then I want to transfer the file to a file storage server next to it.  I want the file to be accessible by all clients in other locations. 

What is the Internet Connection (Download and Upload) of the location the server will live at?

What is the internet connection of the remote clients?

8 minutes ago, Uskompuf said:

Server update:

1.Changed gpu to hd5770

2.Will this server be able to render in 1080p then upscale to 4k.  I do not mind how long it takes.

Thanks Luke

An HD 5770 will render 1080p or 4K - just quite a bit slower then newer GPU's. It'll still get the job done though, assuming you have software that is GPU accelerated that works with AMD GPU's (eg: no CUDA acceleration).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

What is the Internet Connection (Download and Upload) of the location the server will live at?

What is the internet connection of the remote clients?

An HD 5770 will render 1080p or 4K - just quite a bit slower then newer GPU's. It'll still get the job done though, assuming you have software that is GPU accelerated that works with AMD GPU's (eg: no CUDA acceleration).

Will update as I get speeds:

Server:

Download:6.27Mbps

Upload:0.78Mbps

Client1:

Download: 13.92Mbps

Upload: 0.86Mbps (Is there any way to increase this) 

Client2:

Client3:

Client4:

Edited by Uskompuf
Server speed update

24 minutes ago, Uskompuf said:

Will update as I get speeds:

Server:

Client1:

Download: 13.92Mbps

Upload: 0.86Mbps (Is there any way to increase this) 

Client2:

Client3:

Client4:

I'll wait until you've got the rest, but I've got to warn you, I hope you've already done the math on transfer speeds vs filesize. 4K footage can be enormous - and even 1080p footage isn't small.

If you need to upload a 2GB file (some 4K footage) over Client1's upload, it would take in the neighbourhood of 5.7 hours to upload.

The only way to increase your upload, is to upgrade your Internet Plan to a higher package that included faster upload, IF the ISP offers this, and it's even available at your location.

Certainly doable, just don't expect it to be fast.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'll wait until you've got the rest, but I've got to warn you, I hope you've already done the math on transfer speeds vs filesize. 4K footage can be enormous - and even 1080p footage isn't small.

If you need to upload a 2GB file (some 4K footage) over Client1's upload, it would take in the neighbourhood of 5.7 hours to upload.

The only way to increase your upload, is to upgrade your Internet Plan to a higher package that included faster upload, IF the ISP offers this, and it's even available at your location.

Certainly doable, just don't expect it to be fast.

Internet in Australia is bad. 

Hopefully getting faster internet with nbn soon. 

The other clients will have about the same speeds as client 1 and server.

Is there anyway to compress the file for sending to server to speed up upload. 

Thanks Luke

5 hours ago, Uskompuf said:

Internet in Australia is bad. 

Hopefully getting faster internet with nbn soon. 

The other clients will have about the same speeds as client 1 and server.

Is there anyway to compress the file for sending to server to speed up upload. 

Thanks Luke

Guess what another word for compressing is? Encoding. Not exactly, the difference is that most people use "compress" to mean lossless compression, like ZIP, while encode means some form of lossy compression like MP4 or most other audio and video formats. So what you are asking is if there is a way to compress (losslessly, I'm assuming) your source video files for ipload to the render server, which will render your projects and encode them for YouTube. Considering that most video formats can't be losslessly compressed by more than 1%, the process would not save you any time overall. You will find it is faster to have every client just render their projects themselves locally, than it will be to (optionally compress), upload, render, and upload the result.

The only way I can see this working is if you find a way to have the source files already present at the server. This could mean that every SD card coming off the cameras gets duplicated and mailed to where the server is, and it gets loaded onto the server's storage (if you put 8 256GB SD cards into a padded envelope, and it takes 36 hours to arrive, that is an effective upload speed of ~135Mb/s. There are a lot of situations where "Snail Mail" and "Sneaker Net" are still the fastest way to transfer data. That's why cloud backup companies like BackBlaze will ship you a hard drive of your files when you need to do a recovery of lots of data, and why CDNs like Amazon S2 let you ship them a hard drive full of your files that need to be uploaded.) Another option would be to have a NAS or other storage at every location that all sync with each other, meaning as soon as the files are taken off the camera they start uploading. The problem with this is you are going to end up uploading all of your source material, not just the video files that get used.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: