Survey for my school project: DO you have an SSD in your system? (Yes or No)

GeorgeAcres

Survey for my school project: DO you have an SSD in your system? (Yes or No)  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Survey for my school project: DO you have an SSD in your system? (Yes or No)

• Yes
    • No

Just now, bgibbz said:

I disagree. the key word here is value. When you can get one component that will single handledly speed up your entire workflow for a not ubreasonable cost, then it is very viable. I wont use a computer unless it has an ssd, and most non enthusiast PC users I know feel the same way. 

honestly, I really couldn't care less about having an SSD in my PC. I'd much rather have a better CPU/GPU. I don't mind the 1 min wait from when i press the power button until Firefox loads. It's just not a big deal to me.

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

i have an nvme ssd to store my memes

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Until you realize you can buy a SSD to install your OS on for under 70 bucks easily. Sometimes it's not all price/gb ration but price/performance gain. You can keep your HDD for most storage but using a SSD for the OS just makes everything so much better. I recently just got done with a project where I upgraded the RAM and put in a SSD to 5+year old PCs at our workplace and they work flawlessly. Even faster and more responsive than my actual workstation.

Call me blind, but I don't see how an SSD would make my desktop much faster. yeah, Windows would boot faster but to be honest, I don't really care about that. It would probably make my laptop better considering the specs (2008 intel celery or some shit with 2gb of ram) but on my desktop, I'm going to stick to HDDs.

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

1 minute ago, imPixelTV said:

Call me blind, but I don't see how an SSD would make my desktop much faster. yeah, Windows would boot faster but to be honest, I don't really care about that. It would probably make my laptop better considering the specs (2008 intel celery or some shit with 2gb of ram) but on my desktop, I'm going to stick to HDDs.

I never once stated it would make your desktop faster.

And you are correct, it will definitely make (most) laptops faster. Remember as well, you can have a SSD and HDD at the same time. :)

Im SSD only in my pc. 

I have a HDD i temporarily install for back ups to keep my back ups on. 

But once the back up is done its taken out, and back in the anti static bag it goes.

Just now, NinJake said:

I never once stated it would make your desktop faster.

And you are correct, it will definitely make (most) laptops faster. Remember as well, you can have a SSD and HDD at the same time. :)

I'd prefer to have a 2TB HDD over a 128GB SSD. Need somewhere to store my por- oh wait, the houses of parliament are full of retards so its about to get fucking BANNED

bregsit

Spoiler

Also take into consideration the Operating System is the backbone to everything that gets done on your PC. If you have your OS installed on a SSD that will greatly improve all tasks done on your PC. Now if you save a game to your HDD of course it won't be as good as installing a game to a SSD but until you actually have a build with a SSD you won't understand the full potential. I was the same way. @imPixelTV

7 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

honestly, I really couldn't care less about having an SSD in my PC. I'd much rather have a better CPU/GPU. I don't mind the 1 min wait from when i press the power button until Firefox loads. It's just not a big deal to me.

Then you probably haven't used one. let me put it this way - my primary system for years was a pretty bad laptop. I got about 15fps min settings on gta V, etc. when I built my first PC (in sig) it was a huge improvement, but honestly less noticeable than when I upgraded the hdd to an ssd in the laptop. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Also take into consideration the Operating System is the backbone to everything that gets done on your PC. If you have your OS installed on a SSD that will greatly improve all tasks done on your PC. Now if you save a game to your HDD of course it won't be as good as installing a game to a SSD but until you actually have a build with a SSD you won't understand the full potential. I was the same way. @imPixelTV

still not entirely sold on SSDs. I've heard that Windows 7 bluescreens more on SSDs (although this wasn't a lab test or anything) and theres no way I'm using Windows Spy Edition or Windows Phone on Steroids edition (10 and 8 resp). still won't get one until they're super cheap lol

bregsit

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Then you probably haven't used one. let me put it this way - my primary system for years was a pretty bad laptop. I got about 15fps min settings on gta V, etc. when I built my first PC (in sig) it was a huge improvement, but honestly less noticeable than when I upgraded the hdd to an ssd in the laptop. 

I've used PCs with SSDs (my old PC had one and the most of the school PCs have them) but as good as they are, there's no way I'm buying one for my upcoming build. My PC can barely run gmod, i doubt an SSD would fix that.

bregsit

Spoiler

still not entirely sold on SSDs. I've heard that Windows 7 bluescreens more on SSDs (although this wasn't a lab test or anything) and theres no way I'm using Windows Spy Edition or Windows Phone on Steroids edition (10 and 8 resp). still won't get one until they're super cheap lol

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SUV400S37-120G/dp/B01FJ4UN76/ref=sr_1_17?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479849856&sr=1-17&keywords=solid+state+drive

120gb SSD, 40 bucks. If that's not cheap then you need to move into an easier to afford place to live or look for a better paying job. :P

Just trying to help you out though. I have 1 ssd for basic applications (photoshop) and my OS, I have 1 SSD for games and one 2tb HDD for other things.

Suit yourself. On the topic of win 10, don't worry about it. Everything spies on you, from your phone, to your programs, to your car. Nobody collects any personal information with the intent to sell it (read there privacy policies). If you are afraid of software spying on you then good luck staying in the computer game as everything spies on you. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, NinJake said:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SUV400S37-120G/dp/B01FJ4UN76/ref=sr_1_17?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479849856&sr=1-17&keywords=solid+state+drive

120gb SSD, 40 bucks. If that's not cheap then you need to move into an easier to afford place to live or look for a better paying job. :P

Just trying to help you out though. I have 1 ssd for basic applications (photoshop) and my OS, I have 1 SSD for games and one 2tb HDD for other things.

Appreciate of the help, I'm only 15 and i'm about to move towns, so a job isn't a good idea atm :P

I only have the money from christmases and birthdays (idk if americans get money on thanksgiving but the Chinese knock-off of the USA, aka the UK doesn't celebrate it)

bregsit

Spoiler

I hear ya. I've been working since I was 14, it's up to you to find a balance between school, fun, and work. Otherwise you have tons of time to focus on what you want to do, so don't sweat it. Life isn't supposed to be rushed, just live.

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Suit yourself. On the topic of win 10, don't worry about it. Everything spies on you, from your phone, to your programs, to your car. Nobody collects any personal information with the intent to sell it (read there privacy policies). If you are afraid of software spying on you then good luck staying in the computer game as everything spies on you. 

I don't really care about the spying (Every version of Windows since XP has done it) but windows 10 is ugly as all shit imo. I just call it spy edition because of the massive controversy over it, when no one knew it has done it for years. it also blue screened a lot for me. probably user error but cba to try it again especially since 7 still gets updated

bregsit

Spoiler

Just now, NinJake said:

I hear ya. I've been working since I was 14, it's up to you to find a balance between school, fun, and work. Otherwise you have tons of time to focus on what you want to do, so don't sweat it. Life isn't supposed to be rushed, just live.

I'm probably going to get a job anyway tho, the town i'm moving to has like a little theme park (think Alton Towers, but smaller and less crash-y), a ton of corner shops as well as 2 big-ish supermarkets. I'll probably be able to find a job.

bregsit

Spoiler

Just now, imPixelTV said:

I'm probably going to get a job anyway tho, the town i'm moving to has like a little theme park (think Alton Towers, but smaller and less crash-y), a ton of corner shops as well as 2 big-ish supermarkets. I'll probably be able to find a job.

Best of luck to ya, then you can really enjoy the PCMR with top of the line specs! And pocket change is always nice.

Best of luck to ya, then you can really enjoy the PCMR with top of the line specs! And pocket change is always nice.

ayy thanks. New PC will (probably) have an i5 (4460 looks likely) and a 3GB 1060 w/ my existing 16GB of RAM and 1TB HDD. I'll probably sell my current PC

bregsit

Spoiler

@GeorgeAcres

Considering this is a forum comprised of mostly computer nerds, your results may be biased. You also may want to take into account that some people (like myself) have a small ssd used as a boot drive and to store some games that take forever to boot (Civ 5, I'm looking at you), but a large hdd to store games that don't take long to boot and general storage.

There are also some people that use M.2 ssd drives, ram drives, and raid setups. There is probably other stuff I'm not addressing that so few people use you wont get any feedback in that category.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX