Buidling a PC Games Library

NormRickard

Hello. I am making the switch from console gaming to PC gaming, and I need some games to play for PC. I already have Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 on console so I will not be repurchasing them for PC :(. I do plan on getting Overwatch and CSGO as of now for PC, and I wanted to know what you guys thought would be other essentials for my new PC library. I would also like to know how I should purchase these games. Should I use: Steam, Origin, Battlenet, G2A, Amazon, Etc?

Steam by far, origin is only good for sims, titanfall and battlefield. If you like racing games (not many people on this forum do ;-;), Dirt Rally is probably the best right now.

Just now, PatTheGeek said:

G2A and Kinguin . Mafia II, great storyline and you can get it for $5-10

Alright, I am still a little skeptical about these sites, but I hear they are legit. Have you ever had any issues with them?

humblebundle.com is a great place to get games for steam and origin, g2a does steam keys and origin keys and some more DRM platforms i think, so does kinguin (usually i check kinguin price and then g2a price and pick the cheapest at payment). battlenet is just for overwatch and other blizzard games, amazon is like g2a and kinguin but probably also sells physical copies if you want. steam and origin are both a DRM platform. i personally use steam mostly because its the most elaborate. just look at games and see what DRM platform they are on and if i like that platform.

what kind of games do you enjoy? just first person shooters? mainly online? or some indie stuff? story heavy?

1 minute ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

Steam by far, origin is only good for sims, titanfall and battlefield. If you like racing games (not many people on this forum do ;-;), Dirt Rally is probably the best right now.

I played the shit out of the Gran Turismo Games, and I have Dirt Games on console already ^_^.

Just now, NormRickard said:

Alright, I am still a little skeptical about these sites, but I hear they are legit. Have you ever had any issues with them?

No problems at all, buy from G2A all the time however Ive not used Kinguin my self but Ive heard great things about them 

Just make sure that you use the optional thing that makes you safe when you buy from them,idk how it is called but it is about extra 1$

they basically are like a craigslist for gamekeys, just buy from highly rated sellers. i never use their proprietary protection (g2a shield and kinguin whateverthefuck)

3 minutes ago, NormRickard said:

Hello. I am making the switch from console gaming to PC gaming, and I need some games to play for PC. I already have Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 on console so I will not be repurchasing them for PC :(. I do plan on getting Overwatch and CSGO as of now for PC, and I wanted to know what you guys thought would be other essentials for my new PC library. I would also like to know how I should purchase these games. Should I use: Steam, Origin, Battlenet, G2A, Amazon, Etc?

• The entire Half-Life and Portal franchises
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Rocket League
  • DiRT Rally
  • Overwatch
  • DOOM
  • Planet Coaster
  • Elite: Dangerous
2 minutes ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

If you like racing games (not many people on this forum do ;-;), Dirt Rally is probably the best right now.

DiRT Rally racer reporting in! :D

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, tlink said:

they basically are like a craigslist for gamekeys, just buy from highly rated sellers. i never use their proprietary protection (g2a shield and kinguin whateverthefuck)

This. :D Shield and whateverthefuck LMAO

Have you played Mafia II? I swear no one has on this forum, IMO best game ever.

Black Friday is coming up so you might be able to get some deals. Overwatch is 40% off until the 28th I believe.

and we will live such tragedy in perpetuity.

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

humblebundle.com is a great place to get games for steam and origin, g2a does steam keys and origin keys and some more DRM platforms i think, so does kinguin (usually i check kinguin price and then g2a price and pick the cheapest at payment). battlenet is just for overwatch and other blizzard games, amazon is like g2a and kinguin but probably also sells physical copies if you want. steam and origin are both a DRM platform. i personally use steam mostly because its the most elaborate. just look at games and see what DRM platform they are on and if i like that platform.

what kind of games do you enjoy? just first person shooters? mainly online? or some indie stuff? story heavy?

Thanks for the info. For games a lot of FPS. I also do enjoy racing. Open world games are always fun. Mostly online, but I will goof around in games without a multiplayer like Skyrim. Never really gotten into indie stuff too much, but maybe you can convince me to try it. I enjoy stories when there is something to do after the story is over.

If you want a solid open-world RPG, Witcher 3 is your best bet. You can also play Witcher 2 but it isn't necessary to enjoy Witcher 3. I highly recommend getting the Complete (GOTY) Edition that includes Hearts of Stone, Blood and Wine, the 16 free DLC that was delivered periodically right after release, and the latest patches. I also recommend you refrain from installing too many mods until you complete the game + expansions, but there are a couple that are too good to not have. It's pretty likely the Complete Edition will go on sale, so you can wait for that if you like. 

3 minutes ago, PatTheGeek said:

Have you played Mafia II? I swear no one has on this forum, IMO best game ever.

I did, and it was pretty good. played it twice. Mafia 3... well... it's an okay game, but seeing how poor it performs I would only get it when it has a hefty sale. 

7 minutes ago, NormRickard said:

Make an account with Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG, and Humble Bundle. Uplay is giving away farcry blood dragon for free this month. Origin generally gives out a (crappy) game each month as well. Humble bundle always has lots of deals, mostly for indie games but still worth looking at. Gog also tends to have some great sales. Steam as you know has insane sales all the time, though not for newer games right away.

I stay away from the resellers since the keys can be bad sometimes. I have been burned twice by G2A. Never used kinguin but have heard better things about them. GreenMan Gaming is another reseller that actually seems much more legit than G2A.

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, Technicolors said:

If you want a solid open-world RPG, Witcher 3 is your best bet. You can also play Witcher 2 but it isn't necessary to enjoy Witcher 3. I highly recommend getting the Complete (GOTY) Edition that includes Hearts of Stone, Blood and Wine, the 16 free DLC that was delivered periodically right after release, and the latest patches. I also recommend you refrain from installing too many mods, but there are a couple that are too good to not have. It's pretty likely the Complete Edition will go on sale, so you can wait for that if you like. 

I did, and it was pretty good. played it twice. Mafia 3... well... it's an okay game, but seeing how poor it performs I would only get it when it has a hefty sale. 

I was thinking about the Witcher because I have heard so much about it, just don't know if I will be able to finish it all.

HumbleBundle.com

Dude, Arma 3. It'll blow your mind, or you'll play it once and be like fuck that. 

Mount and blade Warband. 

Shadow of Mordor. 

Metro 2033, Metro Last Light (OR the Metro 2033, and Metro Last Light Redux)

Definitely the Stalker Series for a punishing shooter. Play Shadow of Chernobyl first, then Clear sky, and finally after those two play call of pripyat. 

Dare I say Fallout new vegas with mods? 
http://www.falloutthefrontier.com/
Just click the link and watch the trailer. Everyone watch the trailer. 

idk what else to recommend. Space engineers is pretty cool. PC minecraft is more hardcore, and has mods. 

Garry's mod is a mod.(Requires you to own Half Life 2)

I personally use steam almost 100%. 

Uplay isn't bad. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon may still be free. 

But js mods... I just found out how to install them for Arma 3, and omg mods. MODSSSSS!!!WJLDFSJKLL:AD KL!:EH AL

1 minute ago, NormRickard said:

I was thinking about the Witcher because I have heard so much about it, just don't know if I will be able to finish it all.

yeah, it is a very long game. There is no need to rush though. 

Just now, fpo said:

I personally use steam almost 100%. 

Uplay isn't bad. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon may still be free

Yes, I recommend Blood dragon as well. A pretty incredible spin-off, I might say. It won't take you long to complete but it's an excellent game

And along the same vein Wolfenstein the new order is excellent. The old blood, which is a prequel, is fine too 

1 minute ago, NormRickard said:

Thanks for the info. For games a lot of FPS. I also do enjoy racing. Open world games are always fun. Mostly online, but I will goof around in games without a multiplayer like Skyrim. Never really gotten into indie stuff too much, but maybe you can convince me to try it. I enjoy stories when there is something to do after the story is over.

terraria is amazing especially if you can tag along with a friend, its an open world sand box with lots of exploring and HOURS of fun.

tabletop simulator is loads of fun if you enjoy tabletop games and is a really well made game that you might like. fully customizable, you can upload your own games and virtually play any boardgame you can think off as long as it doesnt rely too heavily on physics :P 

Don't starve (or don't starve together) is a shitton of fun, its an open world survival game.

chivalry is a great first person melee game, its a well balanced competitive medieval combat game.

punch club is a fun story heavy fighter, but i don't know if it has much of a replay value.

loadout is a competitive first person shooter, just like overwatch and that game with hats (forgot the name lol)

papers please is a really fun story driven border patrol simulator, has a lot of replay value imo. 

kingdom is a small base building game that you can easily sink a few hours in when you're bored, it has the addictiveness of a mobile game with micro transactions, but without the micro transactions.

then there is surgeon simulator which is pretty fun when you're bored, its like goat simulator but less "lol look at this random thing laugh at it"

Guns of Icarus Online is a great team game, loads of fun if you have enough friends to play together with:

Kerbal Space program is an advanced space craft building simulation game that can be loads of fun if it suits you, if you never touched something like it you should try it out to see if you like it.

Faster than light is a fun and easy to pick up Real time strategy game with a great soundtrack.

The escapist is a game where you have to escape a prison, you can do it in many different ways and in that sense its pretty open world, it has a load of different maps you can choose from.

gunpoint is a small and light puzzler game, you're a spy that has to "hack" and fight its way trough the story with moral choices, supports player made maps so it has a lot of replayability. also has a great sense of humor.

those are all games i truly enjoy and can recommend. 

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will definitely look into them.