Best laptop/ultrabook/2 in 1 for £800-1200?

Ghostay

I've got quite a wide budget and I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for here. If somebody could point me in the direction of the "best" laptop, ultrabook and 2 in 1 laptop I would appreciate it. Just to clarify, that's one of each category. I'd just like to compare them and make a final decision. Obviously it is quite a large budget gap but I'm also willing to go below that or above that if it can be justified.

I'd be looking to use it for 3-5 years before I would consider a replacement. I think I've ruled out laptops because I am looking for portability.

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

I would say that the best Windows Ultrabook would be the Dell XPS 13 - it has excellent displays, battery life, and it has just been refreshed with Intel's Kaby Lake processors. The only downside is the use of a 15W cpu, limiting performance somewhat. 

For 2 in 1s, I would probably say the Surface Pro 4 or the HP Spectre X360, depending on what form factor you prefer (detachable or flip)   

What are you planning to do on your device - this will help me judge better what would be best for you?

3 minutes ago, jafico1 said:

I would say that the best Windows Ultrabook would be the Dell XPS 13 - it has excellent displays, battery life, and it has just been refreshed with Intel's Kaby Lake processors. The only downside is the use of a 15W cpu, limiting performance somewhat. 

For 2 in 1s, I would probably say the Surface Pro 4 or the HP Spectre X360, depending on what form factor you prefer (detachable or flip)   

What are you planning to do on your device - this will help me judge better what would be best for you?

I'm really quite stuck. I'll be in education for 5 years now; I don't foresee any major work with the laptop in the first 2 years but I'll be using it a lot after those 2 years. I was wondering whether it would be better to save up for 2 years and then cash out on something. Maybe I could get a cheap 2 in 1 for now? Who knows. I'm just considering my options.

The work would be standard college/university work. I don't foresee me doing any CAD or intense productivity programs. Just some office work and probably light gaming such as Source games.

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

It depends on how you feel. The XPS/Surface/x360 would last and are decently built, but they are not upgradable  if you really want to future proof. If longevity is a real concern, business laptops would be your best bet - either the ThinkPad T460 or the Dell E7470, as they have fantastic build quality and excellent warranties/support.