Do I need new RAM?

Go to solution Solved by helping,

rams

That is indeed 1333 RAM, but not to worry 1333 is perfectly fine and the difference between it and 1600 is barely noticeable.

What I was worried about is what voltage it was, being as old as it is, but they're 1.5v so no problems here.

You could mix ram sticks, they will almost always work assuming timings, voltage, and frequency are manually set between all sticks to match. It's typically a 97% kind of thing, so there are instances where the motherboard will not accept mixed sticks. 

Wait to see if you actually need more ram, as those sticks are perfectly capable for now. If you find that you do need more RAM, you will be tossing those for a 2x8 (or 4x4, 2x8 is expandable but can you see yourself needing 32gb in the future?) kit. 

Hello forum! I'm in the process of upgrading my PC but I have a question regarding RAM. I have 8 GB (4 x 2) of DDR3 1333 GHz RAM that I reused from a 5 year-old PC. Has modern RAM significant improved over the last 5 years and worth the upgrade? I mostly use my PC for gaming and a little but of 3D software. 

Yes, you need it. For your usage 16 GB would be nice. So 2 good looking stick of 8 GB RAM.

Quote me to get a reply!

You could add another 4GB

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

No, 8GB 1600 is perfectly capable, 16gb is only needed for work, depending on what you do you may or may not need it. If you see your system using ~7gb of RAM while doing whatever it is that you do, go ahead and upgrade to 16gb. 

though...5 years old? What voltage do they run at? Could you give us the part number specifically? 

Error: 410

You can never have enough ram.

I second this.

If budget=false

Go to town. ^_^

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Yes, you need it. For your usage 16 GB would be nice. So 2 good looking stick of 8 GB RAM.

I think I'll go with 8 GB right now and then upgrade to 16 GB early next year. I don't have a budget but I like to play safe when it's possible.  

You could add another 4GB

How about another 8 GB? :D 

Hello forum! I'm in the process of upgrading my PC but I have a question regarding RAM. I have 8 GB (2 x 4) of DDR3 1600 GHz RAM that I reused from a 5 year-old PC. Has modern RAM significant improved over the last 5 years and worth the upgrade? I mostly use my PC for gaming and a little but of 3D software. 

No, 8GB 1600 is perfectly capable, 16gb is only needed for work, depending on what you do you may or may not need it. If you see your system using ~7gb of RAM while doing whatever it is that you do, go ahead and upgrade to 16gb. 

though...5 years old? What voltage do they run at? Could you give us the part number specifically? 

Give us the exact model of RAM.

But I would say its fine.

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

no you will be fine with that amount for a little longer (at least 2-3 more years) nothing 
honestly running ddr2 800 RAM and there is nothing i do that it cant handle (gaming wise) 
apparently BF4 ram speeds will matter but 1600 is still pretty good

I think I'll go with 8 GB right now and then upgrade to 16 GB early next year. I don't have a budget but I like to play safe when it's possible.  

How about another 8 GB? :D

Yeah you could do that, but make sure the RAM has the same: timings, speed, voltage, manufacturer.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Get a single stick of 8 and then get another one of the same stick later.

Quote me to get a reply!

I'm currently at school for a computer science degree so I have no idea if I'll be needing more RAM for the programs I'll be required to use. Ughhh that RAM was taken out from an old HP case but I remember the name of the PC. I went on the HP website and looked up the specs of the PC and only found the following for the RAM. I do recall seeing a Samsung logo on them if that matters. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01859884#N289

• Amount: 8 GB
  • Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec (message as PC3-8500)

Orly? :c 

I second this.

If budget=false

Go to town. ^_^

I don't have a budget but I also don't want the cold-sweat feeling of clicking the submit button with a total of $900 (I'm doing a major pc upgrade)

Honestly, I wouldn't mismatch RAM. I don't know what RAM you have now, but if you could get another pair of the same exact sticks, then go for it, if not, go for a NEW 2x8GB setup.

Guys I'll take out the RAM and post a picture. I'll switch to my laptop real quick. Just a sec!

I don't have a budget but I also don't want the cold-sweat feeling of clicking the submit button with a total of $900 (I'm doing a major pc upgrade)

If you want the peace of mind, get 16GB. I'm upgrading from 8 to 16GB soon ^_^ Though I'll be getting into some heavier work ;) 

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Especially when it's so easy to download more.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

thats 1333 not 1600 mhz

Thanks for the correction! I edited the my original post.

rams

That is indeed 1333 RAM, but not to worry 1333 is perfectly fine and the difference between it and 1600 is barely noticeable.

What I was worried about is what voltage it was, being as old as it is, but they're 1.5v so no problems here.

You could mix ram sticks, they will almost always work assuming timings, voltage, and frequency are manually set between all sticks to match. It's typically a 97% kind of thing, so there are instances where the motherboard will not accept mixed sticks. 

Wait to see if you actually need more ram, as those sticks are perfectly capable for now. If you find that you do need more RAM, you will be tossing those for a 2x8 (or 4x4, 2x8 is expandable but can you see yourself needing 32gb in the future?) kit. 

Error: 410

Wait to see if you actually need more ram, as those sticks are perfectly capable for now. 

Alright so I guess I can save a little more on my upgrade. I'll buy new RAM if I feel comfortable spending more money after the upgrade. Thanks for the help! 

Ram is at an all time high price wait a little

Ram is at an all time high price wait a little

Yes, I did catch that when I was looking for them on Newegg. Now that I mentioned Newegg. I signed up for a free trial for their ShopRunner shipping service and ended up receiving 1 year and 3 months extra when I was going to cancel before the trial ended. You guys might might want to sign up and try this too. Free 2 day shipping is amazing!