5 x 1 Surround?

Optimus Prime

Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong section but couldn't decide between graphics, displays or software.

Anyways why doesn't NVIDIA support 5x1 surround like AMD's Eyefinity 5? I originally wanted sli/tri sli 780 in 3x1 landscape but after watching gameplay of games in 5x1 potrait I've decided on crossfire r9 290x's. I would choose NVIDIA over AMD if they supported it, especially since lightboost, gsync and to a lesser extent PhysX.

Apologies for the wall wall of text.

-Prime

Nvidia graphics cards don't support 5 monitors. Nvidia cards only allow for 3 + 1 configs.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Nvidia graphics cards don't support 5 monitors. Nvidia cards only allow for 3 + 1 configs.

I know, I said that but I wanted to know why or at least have a a discussion about it

Well in my opinion is like to have one screen and a extra monitor. Unless your doing productivity the. It isn't need to even have more than one screen. Also too much bezel.

Quote me to get a reply!

Well in my opinion is like to have one screen and a extra monitor. Unless your doing productivity the. It isn't need to even have more than one screen. Also too much bezel.

Debezelling is your friend :)

Also 5x1 potrait increases your fov and has less fish eye effect than 3x1 landscape even though they're the same width because potrait has more vertical resolution

Debezelling is your friend :)

Also 5x1 potrait increases your fov and has less fish eye effect than 3x1 landscape even though they're the same width because potrait has more vertical resolution

Debezelling is something I am not comfortable with. Also 21:9. And TN panels=Bad colors and angles.

Quote me to get a reply!

Debezelling is something I am not comfortable with. Also 21:9. And TN panels=Bad colors and angles.

Thats cool about the debezelling thing, ironically more more interested in the 21:9 for movies lol. IPS/PLS don't have that issue though and that xl2420te seems to be reviewing well for TN

Thats cool about the debezelling thing, ironically more more interested in the 21:9 for movies lol. IPS/PLS don't have that issue though and that xl2420te seems to be reviewing well for TN

I would have a single 1440p monitor instead of 3 monitors.

Quote me to get a reply!

I would have a single 1440p monitor instead of 3 monitors.

We seem to be off track, not trying to to convince you otherwise

Do we have any any information on why NVIDIA doesn't support 5x1 surround or how we can convince NVIDIA to support it

We seem to be off track, not trying to to convince you otherwise

Do we have any any information on why NVIDIA doesn't support 5x1 surround

They can't physical run it because of the connectors. Displayport doesn't play well with DVI or HDMI

Quote me to get a reply!

They can't physical run it because of the connectors. Displayport doesn't play well with DVI or HDMI

What do you mean DP doesn't play well?

Also nvidia surround can be run of ports over multiple cards.

-Sidenote - Wish NVIDIA/AMD would release cards with only display port and hdmi

What do you mean DP doesn't play well?

Also nvidia surround can be run of ports over multiple cards.

-Sidenote - Wish NVIDIA/AMD would release cards with only display port and hdmi

This is want most people say that you can only do surround with HDMI and DVI or just DP. Also I'm not sure about multiple card though. And they won't release cards with DP and HDMI because how many people will buy them?

Quote me to get a reply!

This is want most people say that you can only do surround with HDMI and DVI or just DP. Also I'm not sure about multiple card though. And they won't release cards with DP and HDMI because how many people will buy them?

Hmmmm never heard that but that sounds like its fixable and AMD requires/required display port as a compulsory connection.

If the 800 series has dvi I am going to be suprised since dvi has had its time and is bulky and going to be phases out soon

Hmmmm never heard that but that sounds like its fixable and AMD requires/required display port as a compulsory connection.

If the 800 series has dvi I am going to be suprised since dvi has had its time and is bulky and going to be phases out soon

DVI isn't a bad connector because it has locks reducing it's chances of popping out. Also it can support higher resolutions and refresh rates compared to HDMI.

Quote me to get a reply!

DVI isn't a bad connector because it has locks reducing it's chances of popping out. Also it can support higher resolutions and refresh rates compared to HDMI.

As far as I was aware dvi maxed at 2560 and hdmi at 3840

Also Y NO ONE ELSE COMMENT -.-

Love to know if they're is some info buried on the net saying why NVIDIA don't support that surround config or that they're maybe working on it or if we need to create a petion ans email NVIDIA

As far as I was aware dvi maxed at 2560 and hdmi at 3840

Also Y NO ONE ELSE COMMENT -.-

Love to know if they're is some info buried on the net saying why NVIDIA don't support that surround config or that they're maybe working on it or if we need to create a petion ans email NVIDIA

That's not true DVI can support 2560X1440 at 120HZ. HDMI doesn't support 4K yet. Only HDMI 2.0 supports it, which isn't out yet.

Quote me to get a reply!

Nvidia doesn't think their customers needs more.

They're also not as cool as AMD.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

DVI isn't a bad connector because it has locks reducing it's chances of popping out.

Seriously? I never encountered any cables popping out. My whole home cinema (TV, AV-R, Xbox, PS3 and my set-top box) was connected via HDMI and nothing ever disconnected when moved. On the other hand, i hate to unscrew a connector, reroute the cord and then screw it in place again. That's just wasted time to me.

Now on topic:

I guess Nvidia could implement the 5x1 surround setup, but since they made it possible to run 4 monitors off one card, to achieve the same thing they would have to add a 5th connector and change things in their drivers. That's a lot of work for a monitor setup that only a few people use.

144Hz goodness

Seriously? I never encountered any cables popping out. My whole home cinema (TV, AV-R, Xbox, PS3 and my set-top box) was connected via HDMI and nothing ever disconnected when moved. On the other hand, i hate to unscrew a connector, reroute the cord and then screw it in place again. That's just wasted time to me.

Now on topic:

I guess Nvidia could implement the 5x1 surround setup, but since they made it possible to run 4 monitors off one card, to achieve the same thing they would have to add a 5th connector and change things in their drivers. That's a lot of work for a monitor setup that only a few people use.

Unlike AMD, Nvidia can run surround off multiple cards so that's an easy solution. So the only issue would be a driver update to make it possible in theory. Than Nvidia can do everything AMD can do and more (mantle is still an unknown)

Now on topic:

My usage case is that the connectors are behind my monitor surrounded by other cables. Having that locking connectors is useful because if the cable get loose and comes out then I have to rummage throughout the cables.

Quote me to get a reply!

My usage case is that the connectors are behind my monitor surrounded by other cables. Having that locking connectors is useful because if the cable get loose and comes out then I have to rummage throughout the cables.

Sure but how often do HDMI cables lose their grip in the connector? Unlike DVI/VGA cables the do clip in quite tight, but it's not necessary to unscrew anything.

144Hz goodness

Sure but how often do HDMI cables lose their grip in the connector? Unlike DVI/VGA cables the do clip in quite tight, but it's not necessary to unscrew anything.

True, I do see your point.

Quote me to get a reply!

So I had a another quick search trying ti find NVIDIA's position on expanding surround to more than 3 dislays :/ Anyone find/know anything relevant