Xbox "720" wtf?

heineygoat

I assumed that the Xbox 360 got its name from the idea of being "revolutionary" (360 as in revolution, duh).

Everyone's talking about a 720. Why the shit would they call it a 720? I don't think its because Microsoft want to imply that their consoles are going around in circles.

Thoughts?

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

The 720 is just the nickname of the new console, you could also use Durango(as it is the project name). The "Xbox 720" is not the official name, people call it that because it's 360*2=720. So it's the second Xbox 360, ergo Xbox 720.

Again, it isn't the official name and supposedly Microsoft will make an official announcement in April next month about the new Xbox.

because 720 is bigger then 360, and we all know bigger is always better.

Like EChondo said, it's just a nickname. To be honest, it's probably the dumbest nickname I've ever heard as well - Xbox Trinity would make more sense from a marketing perspective.

The Xbox 360 got it's name simply to compete with the PS3. Sony's Playstation was going to be on it's third iteration of consoles, while Microsoft's Xbox was only going to be on it's Second. Even though they were both on the same competitive level from a consumers stand point they would have potentially been destroyed in the market.

The average consumer of a console is a parent buying it for their kids. They go into the store they see an XBOX 2, and a PS3 obviously PR determined that the average customer goes for larger number. Microsoft now needed to find a way to compete with the version iteration of PS3. A smart and logical move was to call it the 360 and use a circle theme to promote it.

I'd expect the them to use the Xbox 720, as the next official name as it suddenly gives them an edge over the PS4 to an average parent/grandparent consumer with no background knowledge of technical specs.

If you don't think naming schemes matter in marketing, take a look at Nintendo. At the moment their biggest downfall has been with their 3DS and WIIU names. They failed miserably with naming (I am somewhat of a nintendo fan boy and this is an unbiased opinion). The names of their current generation do not differ enough from the previous which is causing confusion with general consumers. The 3DS for example, without looking into it or knowing beforehand. I would assume its just another DS version like the XL, LITE, etc. I would simply see all the new 3DS games, and assume I could play them, I just wouldnt experience the 3D effect. Similar situation for the WiiU, lots of people assume it's either an addon to support the tablet like controller, or just another version of the wii. People will unknowingly pick up a WiiU game expecting it to work in their WII simply because the naming scheme has caused confusion.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

i have heard rumors that it will be called Xbox 8 because of windows 8 buts its a rumor take it with a grain of salt.

i have heard rumors that it will be called Xbox 8 because of windows 8 buts its a rumor take it with a grain of salt.
I've heard Xbox infinite, "Xbox" (Yes Just Xbox kinda like apple with "Ipad")

My personal Favorite is NXbox (Like next-box)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Only way I could see them using Xbox 8, would be if they used a lite version of windows 8 for the dashboard. barring that I don't see that happening. I would like to see that happen and have actual PC functionality but I think that would be to much of an open platform for a console.

No matter what the name of it is, once it launches, I probably wont be picking on up anytime soon if ever.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

They'll probably call it "XBox 3", or "Xbox" and a name next to it, like "XBox Experience" (sorry, I suck at marketing)

• 4 weeks later...
The Xbox 360 got it's name simply to compete with the PS3. Sony's Playstation was going to be on it's third iteration of consoles, while Microsoft's Xbox was only going to be on it's Second. Even though they were both on the same competitive level from a consumers stand point they would have potentially been destroyed in the market.

The average consumer of a console is a parent buying it for their kids. They go into the store they see an XBOX 2, and a PS3 obviously PR determined that the average customer goes for larger number. Microsoft now needed to find a way to compete with the version iteration of PS3. A smart and logical move was to call it the 360 and use a circle theme to promote it.

I'd expect the them to use the Xbox 720, as the next official name as it suddenly gives them an edge over the PS4 to an average parent/grandparent consumer with no background knowledge of technical specs.

If you don't think naming schemes matter in marketing, take a look at Nintendo. At the moment their biggest downfall has been with their 3DS and WIIU names. They failed miserably with naming (I am somewhat of a nintendo fan boy and this is an unbiased opinion). The names of their current generation do not differ enough from the previous which is causing confusion with general consumers. The 3DS for example, without looking into it or knowing beforehand. I would assume its just another DS version like the XL, LITE, etc. I would simply see all the new 3DS games, and assume I could play them, I just wouldnt experience the 3D effect. Similar situation for the WiiU, lots of people assume it's either an addon to support the tablet like controller, or just another version of the wii. People will unknowingly pick up a WiiU game expecting it to work in their WII simply because the naming scheme has caused confusion.

I think they even did some marketing surveys which showed most people tough PS3 was better than Xbox 2.

It will be probably called "XBox".. simple as that, or "XBox 3"

Or pull a Nintendo and call it: "XBox Entertainment System".. or XES for short :p... actually that makes 'sex' on reverse... bad idea.

Or pull a Nintendo and call it: "XBox Entertainment System".. or XES for short :p... actually that makes 'sex' on reverse... bad idea.

Some one made the point that it would be bad marketing by Microsoft to call it an Xbox 3 because a lot of the uneducated audience will see a PS4 and an Xbox 3 and assume that the one with the number 4 is later and better and therefor that is the one they should buy for their grandson at Christmas.

I like the XES idea haha.

Xbox 361

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

My idea is Xbox Home it makes sense because they are trying to take over your living room its catchy to i think it would be a very good name

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

from what i gather the name for the new console is just "XBOX"

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

Just a quick fact. It was originally called the "xbox" because its a box of hardware that utilises all off microsofts DirectX software. Direct X is a group of Direct3d, DirectSound, DirectPlay, DirectMusic, DirectDraw etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I assumed that the Xbox 360 got its name from the idea of being "revolutionary" (360 as in revolution, duh). Everyone's talking about a 720. Why the shit would they call it a 720? I don't think its because Microsoft want to imply that their consoles are going around in circles. Thoughts?

Because Microsoft is stupid and want to go backwards on everything they achieved with the 360.

Seriously... These always online rumors are ridiculous and getting out of hand. Blocking used games is nuts too. This is something that PC gamers are used to to a certain extent but not console gamers.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably gonna be called "Xbox Next" or "Xbox Fusion" seeing as Microsoft owns those domains.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.