PC keeps crashing when running graphic intensive tasks. (Gaming)

mrchow19910319

My pc is keep crashing since yesterday. I thought it was just a random reboot.

But it showed a pattern , every time I opened starcraft 2, the screen turns black and pc reboot itself.

Just now it rebooted , however even after the reboot, it still did not come to its fully working state. 

Screen tearing, (weird tiling appeared at the left side of the screen), machine itself becomes super laggy, mouse cursor disappeared. 

Here is a video.  

* Do not worry about the smoke..... it was my cigarette... When I did a thumped up, I manually rebooted the pc. Other than that , I did not touch the power button.

I am thinking that my GPU is acting out. I will try to take out the GPU and using igpu and try it out . See whether this happens again. Now in my country it is 3:15 am.. I am gonna sleep.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

What are the thermals on the GPU and CPU?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

What are the specs of your rig?

Do you have a discrete GPU?

If so, I might suggest removing the GPU, and running on onboard graphics (since I don't know your setup, I'm just assuming you have onboard graphics).

If that works, then it could be a problem with your GPU.

You should check the CPU and GPU temps as recommended above, to see if that is the issue, before doing my advice if only for convenience's sake.

Also, is your system overclocked?

Also, my novice brain says maybe your power supply isn't functioning properly, as running a game is probably your most power-intensive use of the PC.

Anyway, answer those questions, give my troubleshoot a try, and let the more knowledgeable folks here help you out, this is about all I've got =).

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

Either you smoke like a lot in the same room and that causes problems with one of your components (the smoke isn't very good for your hardware over time) or one of your component died its natural death.
Either of both I'd run memtest86 and check if your RAM has problems, if you have problems there try with only one stick of RAM.

My second guess of hardware that could cause the problem would be the power supply. If you can try with a known good one.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

@Thx And Bye @Jake Dalay @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito

My gpu died. I did not check my ram. But I am pretty sure it is okay. I took out my gtx780. Everything works fine. I even use it to play a round of Starcraft 2. Nothing happened. Then I thought it was probably the driver issue. I plugged back my gtx780 downloaded the driver , then boom. Screen turned black, pc frozen. This gpu is a second hand one. So no warranty whatsoever. Used it for one and half year. Bought it for $290. Not sure what's gonna do next. Probably wait for a while cos I don't really play games anymore. Might as well use this period of time just plug in my MacBook Pro and learning programming. Give my PC a rest for a while.Meanwhile save some money for a few months. Maybe next year buy a rx480 or something. Not sure. Thanks for the help. And the gtx780 is an asus one. Lol. Just saying. 

Sorry to hear about your dead GTX 780, I dropped full price for mine at launch, if it dies before it's good and retired I'm gonna be pissed.

If you find you aren't gaming very much currently, I would recommend picking up something like a rx480 or a mid level (the X60, X60-ti, where X is the current generation -10 currently - of Nvidia cards) nvidia card. Though of course you could go with a mid level of an older generation, didn't mean to say it has to be current.

Anyway, good luck with programming, it can be a fun hobby.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

5 hours ago, Jake Dalay said:

Thanks dude, nah, I was pissed at 1st. That card did help me get through a tough period of time. But what's done is done. Now I need to move on. 

If I want to go back to some light gaming, I probably gonna buy a gtx1060/rx480.  The most intense game I play is witcher 3. 

Thanks for the help!! :D