Unable to boot from USB stick, or anything to be honest

I installed Ubuntu last night but with failure. Today it seems like my laptop doesnt event want to boot from a USB stick. I am able to see it in the BIOS but when booting it just seems to skip it. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 7730 (Old junk).. I have tried burning the ISO's straight to the HDD itself but with no luck of booting. Anyone got any ideas on how to get it running?

| Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz | XFX RX 480 8 GB | Asus Z87i-Pro | 8.0 GB Kinston DDR3 | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD |

16 minutes ago, OLS said:

I installed Ubuntu last night but with failure. Today it seems like my laptop doesnt event want to boot from a USB stick. I am able to see it in the BIOS but when booting it just seems to skip it. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 7730 (Old junk).. I have tried burning the ISO's straight to the HDD itself but with no luck of booting. Anyone got any ideas on how to get it running?

have you changed the boot order lol

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

Ubuntu can mess with your bootloader. GRUB (the default Ubuntu bootloader) can cause issues sometimes if your HDD configuration was changed or partitions were re-sized after the install.

I would try actually disconnecting the drive that Ubuntu is installed on, and seeing if you can boot off a USB key that way.

When in doubt, re-format.

20 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

have you changed the boot order lol

I have changed bootorder.. I even removed the internal HDD from the BIOS to see if it would try booting from the USB stick

| Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz | XFX RX 480 8 GB | Asus Z87i-Pro | 8.0 GB Kinston DDR3 | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD |

14 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Ubuntu can mess with your bootloader. GRUB (the default Ubuntu bootloader) can cause issues sometimes if your HDD configuration was changed or partitions were re-sized after the install.

I would try actually disconnecting the drive that Ubuntu is installed on, and seeing if you can boot off a USB key that way.

Does not work. I connected the HDD to another PC and formatted it. Still no luck

8 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

EFI or legacy boot?

Unable to change anything. The BIOS is changing time and choosing boot order..

23 minutes ago, OLS said:

Unable to change anything. The BIOS is changing time and choosing boot order..

is your bios battery installed?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

is your bios battery installed?

Yeah

2 minutes ago, OLS said:

Yeah

does it have any charge left in it?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

does it have any charge left in it?

Very unlikely, but then probably it's been like it for years. And this worked 1 day ago, then the other day it just didnt.

15 minutes ago, OLS said:

Very unlikely, but then probably it's been like it for years. And this worked 1 day ago, then the other day it just didnt.

if its old and the bios cannot save settings or clock then your battery is dead. can happen anywhere between 5-10 years old

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_