overclock arma 3

Hi, if I were to oveclock my i5 6600k, will it give me better fps in arma 3 mulitplayer ( king of the hill) ?

probably, but it will also depend on the gpu. either way it would be a wasted potential if you paid extra for the overclock ability you might as well use it and overclock.

Not really. Lowering settings to medium helps a lot more. Unfortunately.

Also installing that game on SSD helps with stuttering a lot.

Yes with Arma if you overclock you should have better performance but Arma has lots of problems even if you overclock your processor the fps could not change at all, and is worse on servers so yeah.

But if you have the 6600k overclock it and test to see if you are able to notice better performance.

If you dont have it i dont know only if you dont mind spend the extra money or you need the processor for something like rendering and stuff because just buy it for overclok for arma you could be really disappointed.

Well good luck.

You would likely get more FPS by overclocking your GPU than your CPU.

When in doubt, re-format.

5 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

You would likely get more FPS by overclocking your GPU than your CPU.

Not in Arma

Arma is known to be very CPU intensive. Overclocking your CPU will provide better results than you'd see in other titles.

Though don't expect it to be anything mindblowing maybe like 3-6 FPS would be gained OCing just your CPU; and if you overclock your GPU which I'm assuming is at stock right now, you could probably manage another 3-6 FPS gain.

So should you overclock both you can get maybe a solid 6-8 FPS more minimum, maybe 10-12 in certain situations.
This is assuming they are pretty heavy overclocks, like +250MHz on GPU and like +1.0GHz on your CPU.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

Arma 3's engine is a mess. I went from an i5 2500K at 4.6 Ghz to an i7 2600K at 4.7 Ghz, and lost major FPS in Arma 3. Also, my CPU and GPU utilizations in Arma 3 are like 30% CPU and maybe something like 40% GPU, while I'm getting 35 FPS. So, something is very much not working properly with the Arma 3 game engine.

And this issue happens for a lot of people:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/138999-low-cpu-utilization-low-fps/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/14/527274088401516860/

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Yes, but I wouldn't count on it doing much I understand it only uses 2 cores effectively. (DX11?)

It's kind of ridiculous a game of this magnitude uses your hardware so poorly, which is basically why I stopped scripting my own mission. It's just too frustrating when you have to be very very careful wether multiple loops don't clog up the whole thing. 

So also don't buy a new CPU for this game you will be dissapointed. I really hope they will improve it in the future. (DX12,Vulkan)

They do have the Enfusion engine which is used for DayZ, let's hope they can use some things they learned while making it in Arma 3.

Logical thinking does not work with Bohemia games. 

Their best optimized game is still in Alpha while they pump out "full release" titles that even the compensator build from LTT cant keep a steady FPS

Yes and No, It will most likely help a little, but alot of the FPS problems is also server lag. When I play, both my CPU and GPU will be around 60%