CPU Temps on Load

Bradl79

hi, i have an i5  6500k and asus z170a mb

i had run through the ASUS 5-way optimization and it OC at 4.6Ghz, now i am encoding a video file and temps are running about 70 C on 100% load, should i be ok? thank you.

well core temp says about 70 c and the ASUS software Dual Intelligent processor 5 is saying 61 c

My PCPartPicker - 1st Build

Just now, Spork829 said:

Yeah anything under 80 is fine.

thank u, should i go based off of Core Temp or the Asus software, thank you.

Just now, Bradl79 said:

thank u, should i go based off of Core Temp or the Asus software, thank you.

I'd trust CoreTemp more, but if you want to be sure try out some other software such as CPUID HWmonitor or CPU-Z and see which program they agree with.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Just now, Katsunaka said:

Should be fine, how long has the 100% load been going on for? 

about 10 min, core temp is showing about 73 c peak and asus software DIP5 is showing 62 c

Just now, Bradl79 said:

about 10 min, core temp is showing about 73 c peak and asus software DIP5 is showing 62 c

Watch it over a longer period.

10 minutes is really nothing. Download a benchmark program you like and run it for a few hours. If it survives that, and it's temps stay under 80-85 you'll be fine. 

A benchmark puts more of a load on a system that a game would, making temps go up higher. 

Don't want to find out the hardway your OC doesn't work in the middle of a gaming session.

Just now, Katsunaka said:

Watch it over a longer period.

10 minutes is really nothing. Download a benchmark program you like and run it for a few hours. If it survives that, and it's temps stay under 80-85 you'll be fine. 

A benchmark puts more of a load on a system that a game would, making temps go up higher. 

Don't want to find out the hardway your OC doesn't work in the middle of a gaming session.

i don't game, just video encoding really, but thank u though, i will do that, i used the Asus 5 way opt so it benches and raises the CPU until crash and then goes back to the best known frequency, but i never had my temps that high, so i didn't know if it would be ok, thank u everyone

6600k can go to 105 C. But don't try to get there on purpose lol.

Running at 70 is just going to make your room a little warmer, and you'll hear fans more often.

I game regularly at 60-67 C area. 

Everyone has a limit on what they feel is safe. The further away from TJ Max (max temp) the better.

16 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

6600k can go to 105 C. But don't try to get there on purpose lol.

Running at 70 is just going to make your room a little warmer, and you'll hear fans more often.

I game regularly at 60-67 C area. 

Everyone has a limit on what they feel is safe. The further away from TJ Max (max temp) the better.

sounds great thank you for all the info

I prefer RealTemp for its simplicity

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

16 hours ago, Bradl79 said:

hi, i have an i5  6500k and asus z170a mb

i had run through the ASUS 5-way optimization and it OC at 4.6Ghz, now i am encoding a video file and temps are running about 70 C on 100% load, should i be ok? thank you.

well core temp says about 70 c and the ASUS software Dual Intelligent processor 5 is saying 61 c

Nah you're good