12v 17 amp battery pack?

SilicateWielder

Hey guys, I have a qurstion for you all

How would I go abour building a battery pack capable of supplying a minimum voltage of 12v while being able to provide at least 200 watts worth of power? I'm using this to power an ultra portable PC that I have in the works

It has to use 18650 cells or something that will fit into to the top portion of the case, which has a depth of approximately 2.1 cm from the bottom aluminum lip

this is the space I am working with, it's approximately 32.54 cm by 34.6 cm

IMAG0043.jpg

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Just buy a 3s lipo, those are 12v when fully charged.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Just buy a 3s lipo, those are 12v when fully charged.

How do I go about charging it then? Don't i need a charging circuit to safely recharge the battery?

Just now, UnbrokenMotion said:

How do I go about charging it then? Don't i need a charging circuit to safely recharge the battery?

Yes...just like 18650s do....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you care about the weight and size all that much? For that kind of Energy, I would recommend you to use lead acid batteries with a high power buck converter. Also:

Yes...just like 18650s do....

Not all 18650s have a built in circuit, and those that do not have a charging circuit, but a protection circuit. To charge such a monstrous lithium based battery bank you NEED a constant current and constant voltage charger capable of monitoring each array of cells. Lead acid on the other hand is much more forgiving and motorcycle battery chargers are cheap and readily available. (Mechatronics engineering student here)

Cheers

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

1 hour ago, dany_boy said:

Do you care about the weight and size all that much? For that kind of Energy, I would recommend you to use lead acid batteries with a high power buck converter. Also:

Not all 18650s have a built in circuit, and those that do not have a charging circuit, but a protection circuit. To charge such a monstrous lithium based battery bank you NEED a constant current and constant voltage charger capable of monitoring each array of cells. Lead acid on the other hand is much more forgiving and motorcycle battery chargers are cheap and readily available. (Mechatronics engineering student here)

Cheers

This is what a BMS is for, However finding one capable of handling 17 amps of current is proving to be a challenging task.

I already looked into using Lead Acid cells and they just dont make them small enough for my needs. Anything I put into my PC must have a thickness at or under 2.1 cm; This is why I am opting for 18650 Lithium Ion cells. (Please don't tell me to use LiPo, those things are just way too dangerous)

Do you know if premade CC/CV charging PCBs are a thing? Integration into the PC is key here.

17 hours ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

This is what a BMS is for, However finding one capable of handling 17 amps of current is proving to be a challenging task.

I already looked into using Lead Acid cells and they just dont make them small enough for my needs. Anything I put into my PC must have a thickness at or under 2.1 cm; This is why I am opting for 18650 Lithium Ion cells. (Please don't tell me to use LiPo, those things are just way too dangerous)

Do you know if premade CC/CV charging PCBs are a thing? Integration into the PC is key here.

To be honest I have never dealt with such high capacities on lithium technologies, and I dont think you will find any pre-made solutions that are simple to use (as in like a laptop). One option would be to use chargers like the ones used for Radio Control models, but those require some user input in order to start charging. If you have knowledge in electronics you could look into something like the linear tech LTC4007. You would still need a balancing circuit though. (Linear tech has some more powerful and advanced options, but you would need to design and build them yourself)

Cheers

Edited by dany_boy
Added some aditional info

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

19 hours ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

(Please don't tell me to use LiPo, those things are just way too dangerous)

Your conclusion that 18650s are any less dangerous is false. Incorrect usage/charging of any Li based battery will eventually cause it to catch on fire and explode. Correct usage/charging of either is equally safe. 

There is a REASON fireproof charging bags exist for Li based batteries.

17 A is a lot lot lot of amps for LiPo/LiIon. If you're using 1C, 2600 mAh cells, you'll need at least 7 cells in parallel to get 17A discharge.

And if you need a very solid 12V, I'd do a 4S or higher pack that gives out greater than 12V and regulate it down.

Put these together, and your battery pack is going to be a 4S/7P = 28 cell pack.That's a lotta batteries. If you can find reliable 2C discharge cells, you can do a 4S/4P pack, or just 16 cells. 

You can get high-discharge LiPos, like 10C, and manage a 4S/2P = 8 cell pack. Or if 17A is an overspec, there are cells that will sustain 16 A discharge and 24 A peak. You could do a simple 4S pack of that. At 16 A of draw they'll last about six minutes, though.

And yes, pre-built charger and general management PCBs for all sorts of cell arrangements are available. You can usually find them and the batteries from drone enthusiast stores.