Can i use my TV for gaming? It says 60Hz

Optigamerp07

I would like to know if i will be able to use my TV for gaming, its 42 inch and it says 1080@60Hz. I heard that its just some trickery the Tv manufacturers do to make it look like it has more Hz but does that apply to this? When i click the source button on my tv remote a small box pops up on the left upper side of the TV and it says: HDMI2/DVI

1080p@60Hz

Is this the true Hz it can play at? (I will be buying a monitor in a year or so.)

A TV will be 60Hz, yes. Its those higher refresh rates like 120 that are fake. The main problem with a TV is getting it to cooperate with a computer and the input lag that TV's inherently have. If it has a game mode, that helps. 

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

Yea most TVs are actually 60Hz. But beware of higher than normal input lag on TVs. 

The trickery is when manufacturer's claim to have a 120Hz display but are actually using some sort of refresh rate manipulation to make a 60Hz display look smoother than it really is.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

60Hz is not one of those fake marketing gimmicks. It legitimately runs at 60. If you see 120 or 240 hz, that's when your BS detector should go off.

One thing when using a TV as a computer display is to disable all the extra processing that the TV does (anything "dynamic" "automatic" or "clearmotion/truemotion" because this will increase the display lag.

When in doubt, re-format.

console gamers dont seem to be bothered by playing on TVs, but every console gamer I have met was a weirdo

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Response Time is the greater concern. Why don't you just try it?

The Pc parts still haven't arrived. ?

Just now, Optigamerp07 said:

The Pc parts still haven't arrived. ?

Oh okay.

I am actually using three tv's as monitors because they were cheaper. You just have to look in the settings and set the right modes and color settings. Personally, I would never buy TV's again for the purpose, but thats mainly because of the thicker bezels and having to use a remote to turn them on and off rather than it being automatic.

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Oh okay.

I am actually using three tv's as monitors because they were cheaper. You just have to look in the settings and set the right modes and color settings. Personally, I would never buy TV's again for the purpose, but thats mainly because of the thicker bezels and having to use a remote to turn them on and off rather than it being automatic.

Are you have a good gaming and cinematic experience with the TVs ?

What's the PC configuration your running, if you dont mind me asking. E.g:- GPU?

4 minutes ago, Optigamerp07 said:

Are you have a good gaming and cinematic experience with the TVs ?

What's the PC configuration your running, if you dont mind me asking. E.g:- GPU?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/D8jJ8K

Its upgraded from a Dell XPS 8700 Desktop

The TV's have been discontinued.

I didn't know alot when I purchased them, but I guess I got lucky. They are full 60FPS, and have little resposnse time. Its actaully quite nice. Like I said, having to turn them on and off manually is annoying.

Computers r fun