Server advice needed

Van Diekon
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, Van Diekon said:

Where would I buy such pieces? Are there any video guides?

here https://www.amazon.com/47-Ohm-Flameproof-Resistor-Pcs/dp/B0002ZP19S

You can just cut the red wire, strip it, solder the reistor on, cover it with electrial tape or heatshrink.

Hey there everyone!

I need to ask for a bit of help. I recently purchased a Dell PowerEdge 2950 Gen 3 Rack Server and it preforms great for the $250 I paid for it. I has x8 146GB 15k SAS drives in RAID 1+0. The only real problem with this server is it's far too loud for continuous use. I am only able to keep it on when I am away from home or just using it when I need to.

I need to find something that can match the performance of this server, but stay quiet for 24/7 use. Any suggestions?

If you want to make it quiet, you can just add reistors to the fans. Thats what i did on mine ands its pretty quiet now, and not much hotter.

Just add a 40 ohm reistor on the red lead of all the fans.

Skull canyon NUC?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

here https://www.amazon.com/47-Ohm-Flameproof-Resistor-Pcs/dp/B0002ZP19S

You can just cut the red wire, strip it, solder the reistor on, cover it with electrial tape or heatshrink.

What do you mean? My fans are just hotswap fans.

I may have to take a second look at the fans, as I did not pay them much attention. I was under the impression that the wiring was inside the fan plastic.

5 minutes ago, Van Diekon said:

What do you mean? My fans are just hotswap fans.

I may have to take a second look at the fans, as I did not pay them much attention. I was under the impression that the wiring was inside the fan plastic.

There are wires in there. Ive done this.

Thank you so much for your help!

Last question (so I think), what do you mean by the noise doesn't bother you. I have a BM-800 Microphone running through my soundboard. It's okay with background noise, but I have no where to put my server temporarily. It's sitting on the desk next to me.

Will it be bearable for people on the other end of my skype call or recording?

10 minutes ago, Van Diekon said:

Thank you so much for your help!

Last question (so I think), what do you mean by the noise doesn't bother you. I have a BM-800 Microphone running through my soundboard. It's okay with background noise, but I have no where to put my server temporarily. It's sitting on the desk next to me.

Will it be bearable for people on the other end of my skype call or recording?

Should be much better after you spin down the fans. 

Also do you have anouther room/closet to put the server in?

Id also consider getting a r710. There cheaper than you got your 2950 for, there newer, and much quieter, and save money from the lower power usage.

23 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Should be much better after you spin down the fans. 

Also do you have anouther room/closet to put the server in?

Id also consider getting a r710. There cheaper than you got your 2950 for, there newer, and much quieter, and save money from the lower power usage.

I do have a closet I could fit it in with the proper networking and whatnot. However, there is 0 cooling once that door is closed.

I read on this guide (http://www.ratzblog.com/2014/08/reducing-dell-poweredge-pe-295029002800.html) that after he modded his fans, his BMC started making his fans raise and lower rpm every few minutes. Is that happening to you?

1 minute ago, Van Diekon said:

I do have a closet I could fit it in with the proper networking and whatnot. However, there is 0 cooling once that door is closed.

I read on this guide (http://www.ratzblog.com/2014/08/reducing-dell-poweredge-pe-295029002800.html) that after he modded his fans, his BMC started making his fans raise and lower rpm every few minutes. Is that happening to you?

Nope, but i modded the firmware to allow the lower rpm. You can also put a smaller reistor to have it spin a bit faster and not have that problem.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nope, but i modded the firmware to allow the lower rpm. You can also put a smaller reistor to have it spin a bit faster and not have that problem.

You're using Linux, right?

I'm using Windows. I don't think you can mod the firmware with Windows.

4 minutes ago, Van Diekon said:

You're using Linux, right?

I'm using Windows. I don't think you can mod the firmware with Windows.

If you want linux, you can just run it off a usb drive.

Do you need the chassis for any reason? If not, you might be able to swap the internals out into a quieter case. 

5 hours ago, FroTo said:

Do you need the chassis for any reason? If not, you might be able to swap the internals out into a quieter case. 

I was planning to rack mount it, but I could also do that. I am not aware of any cases that would fit that oddly shaped board and the rest of the internals.