Two 2TB WD Blacks or One 4TB WD Black?

mtty34

Title says it all. Using it for storing games and recording some video onto it. 

Whatever is cheaper and whatever you have room for 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

3 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Get one drive, raid 0 is never a good idea 

raid 0 isnt BAD, just not recommended for storage drives. 

18 hours ago, mtty34 said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

what are you planning to use the storage drive/s for? Any particular hardware specs list? Any specific application? Will the OS be stored there as well? 

Having multiple drives instead of a single one can have its pros and cons. More drives always means more noise, vibrations and heat as well as less space in your case. Here it also means less overall storage space. On the other hand, having two separate storage drives means that if a drive fails you will lose only the data on that particular drive while the other drive will still hold your data safely while if you use a single storage drive with a higher capacity you will lose everything in case something happens with the drive (kinda like having all your eggs in a single basket). 

Larger-capacity drives usually offer higher performance. Gaming generally doesn't rely on the storage's performance for anything but the loading times (FPS and graphics aren't really affected). 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

1 hour ago, Captain_WD said:

Hi there :)

what are you planning to use the storage drive/s for? Any particular hardware specs list? Any specific application? Will the OS be stored there as well? 

Larger-capacity drives usually offer higher performance. Gaming generally doesn't rely on the storage's performance for anything but the loading times (FPS and graphics aren't really affected). 

Captain_WD. 

Only my games; got Sansung 850 Evo SSD's for my OS. 

17 hours ago, mtty34 said:

~snip~

As I pointed out, you won't see any benefits from running games off a performance-oriented storage drive besides the loading times so whichever option you choose you should be completely fine on the performance side. 

Let me know if you need any other information on these drives. :)

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/