Buy a car and drive, or live on campus?

Live on campus or dive 40min?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy a car and drive 40m, 4 days a week. Or live on campus?

• Buy a car and drive
    • Live on campus

Been looking at options for my spring semester. simply can't decide between driving to school 40m each way, or rent out a dorm room.

For renting, it would cost about 6k plus food. 

The other option is to buy a family friend's wife's 2007 Subaru for $3k, and drive that. Food / house at home would be free.

Total cost both ways adds up to around 8k est.

Driving would mean that I get a car of my own. But the dorm means school is more accessible.

Having my own car is a massive thing for me, as my location requires it for almost everything.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

honestly, if it were up to me, i'd rent out the dorms, but i'd still keep a car on campus in case of emergencies or if you need to get around town, that would render a bike/walking impractical.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Fuel and insurance prices may put the costs about on par. 

Depending on location, public transit system and preference, the capability to drive may be nearly irreplaceable, or borderline negligible. This aspect only you can decide.

Given the time, this is most likely highway miles. The drive train and brakes should experience somewhat less wear, though tires, suspension and other such components will experience more wear, if this were the case. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…