GTX 1080 FTW VRM

CantThinkOfAUserName

I just spoke with a evga tech and he told me "VRM temps are in spec and the thermal pads are optional". While the pads are optional the temps the vrm's can get at due to the design of the cooler are deff not in spec and JayzTwoCents covers this and he even went out to EVGA in Cali and they told him differently. Not to mention there isnt any links on their website to request the thermal pads. Other than that my only other gripe is that the power link is not free you still have to pay for shipping. EH kind of stupid to make the consumer pay for shipping for a promotional item.

1 minute ago, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

I just spoke with a evga tech and he told me "VRM temps are in spec and the thermal pads are optional". While the pads are optional the temps the vrm's can get at due to the design of the cooler are deff not in spec and JayzTwoCents covers this and he even went out to EVGA in Cali and they told him differently. Not to mention there isnt any links on their website to request the thermal pads. Other than that my only other gripe is that the power link is not free you still have to pay for shipping. EH kind of stupid to make the consumer pay for shipping for a promotional item.

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

I couldn't find it maybe I'm blind.

also

dfdsfd.png

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

7 minutes ago, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

VRM temps are in spec and the thermal pads are optional".  deff not in spec

VRM is usually rated up to 120C - 130C. 

So it's in spec. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

With the BIOS update you'll be fine. You don't need the pads. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Piece of mind. 

IMG_1256.JPG

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

22 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

So it's in spec. 

Believe Jay saw it go up to 200c when he went to evga near him. Forgot the exact number and it doesnt affect all 1080's and 1070's. Its more that the  rep said that non of the vrms had temp issues that was a little odd to me.

3 minutes ago, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

Believe Jay saw it go up to 200c when he went to evga near him. Forgot the exact number and it doesnt affect all 1080's and 1070's. Its more that the  rep said that non of the vrms had temp issues that was a little odd to me.

They weren't doing 200C.

More like 200F, although it is Jay so who knows. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

They weren't doing 200C.

More like 200F, although it is Jay so who knows. 

All I know is that he wouldnt say they were way to hot if they werent. Add the fact that it was evga showing him the high vrm temps.

57 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

So it's in spec. 

It's not the vrms that are the problem (though those are really toasty too), but the vram chips right next to them which are only rated for like 100C.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just don't run the fxxking Furmark. Running normal games the VRM and VRAM aren't really in any danger.

4 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

It's not the vrms that are the problem (though those are really toasty too), but the vram chips right next to them with are only rated for like 100C.

The VRM isn't a problem. VRM in a FTW/Classified card is designed to be hammered. When it gets hot while it's being hammered though, then there's a problem. VRM of that calibre must be kept cool. Although not running fans during FurMark is asking for trouble. 

VRAM probably is the bigger concern though. 

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The VRM isn't a problem. VRM in a FTW/Classified card is designed to be hammered. When it gets hot while it's being hammered though, then there's a problem. VRM of that calibre must be kept cool. Although not running fans during FurMark is asking for trouble. 

VRAM probably is the bigger concern though. 

You just restated what I said...

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, sazrocks said:

You just restated what I said...

Gotta add some body to your point though. 

And it's late and i don't really care too much at all tbh.

Yea, thermal pads are a must. 

9 minutes ago, Deli said:

Just don't run the fxxking Furmark. Running normal games the VRM and VRAM aren't really in any danger.

Actually, running normal games are what killed those cards. 

Here's one: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/59v6co/rip_evga_ftw_gtx_1070/

it wouldn't have been so much of a problem if only furmark actually killed those cards. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

So in any of these cases did people turn the fans up or just do the average joe let it back method?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

43 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

So in any of these cases did people turn the fans up or just do the average joe let it back method?

It was from people just using the card for games. The fact that the bios only makes the fans run 400rpm faster makes the point Jay said about airflow to the back of the PCB where the vrms are and under the acx cooler to be what causes it and adding thermal pads significantly lowered temps.

Update the Bios and add the Thermal Pads. It's easy and you will be safe of overheating your card. Even if you don't add the thermal pads, it's unlikely your card will blow up. If you damage your card during the installation, or in the case you card dies, EVGA will send you another one.