2 SSD's in RAID 0. Are they any good in gaming??

arkam
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

There's really no benefit. You may get slightly faster load times than a single SSD, but that's it. It's definitely not worth the increased risk of data loss. 

RAID 1 with striped reads would be a better option as it would retain the speed of loading games but also provides some redundancy. 

Is there any benefit of using 2 ssd's in Raid 0 configuration in gaming and normal use given that the ssd's are already fast?? Also how identical must the ssd's should be??

2 minutes ago, arkam said:

Is there any benefit of using 2 ssd's in Raid 0 configuration in gaming and normal use given that the ssd's are already fast?? Also how identical must the ssd's should be??

just dont do it if you actually plan on storing anything on them  RAID 0 is very dangerous  

if you want a benefit then get an nvme ssd

I don't recommend RAID 0. SSDs are fast enough by themselfs, so RAID 1 would be somehow better (prevents complete data loss in case of single drive failure)

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

1 minute ago, Jer45 said:

just dont do it if you actually plan on storing anything on them  RAID 0 is very dangerous  

if you want a benefit then get an nvme ssd

Thanks

There's really no benefit. You may get slightly faster load times than a single SSD, but that's it. It's definitely not worth the increased risk of data loss. 

RAID 1 with striped reads would be a better option as it would retain the speed of loading games but also provides some redundancy. 

1 minute ago, Cryosec said:

I don't recommend RAID 0. SSDs are fast enough by themselfs, so RAID 1 would be somehow better (prevents complete data loss in case of single drive failure)

Yeah okay, raid configuration is not suited well for ssd's as they already are fast and realaible, just good for hdd?

Just now, arkam said:

Yeah okay, raid configuration is not suited well for ssd's as they already are fast and realaible, just good for hdd?

RAID is good for both (same benefits, higher speed on SSDs). Just don't RAID 0

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

7 minutes ago, arkam said:

SSDs can technically be better than HDDs for large RAID arrays as they're not affected by heat and vibrations like HDDs are. That said, it's often not practical due to the much higher cost (if we're talking 10+TB RAID arrays) and limited write cycles. 

For consumer and desktop applications, SSDs are fine for RAID (better than HDDs, actually). Just that RAID 0 really doesn't give much of a benefit to SSDs but does come with a load of drawbacks. RAID 0 is also technically not RAID, as it doesn't conform to the "redundancy" part, it should be grouped as something different like JBOD is if you ask me.

Okay thanks everyone for your answers. For better or worse i won't be doing any raid configurations on my SSD's now knowing that it won't help much and its dangerous.

15 minutes ago, arkam said:

Okay thanks everyone for your answers. For better or worse i won't be doing any raid configurations on my SSD's now knowing that it won't help much and its dangerous.

To be clear, RAID 0 isn't necessarily dangerous if you have good backup systems or are storing data you don't mind losing. It's just that if any drive in the array fails, you lose all the data on the array. There are benefits to RAID 0 that can be useful for scratch disks or combining multiple drives.

Also, a general rule of thumb for any type of RAID is that the drives should be identical if possible to avoid complications. This is most important for RAID types that access multiple drives at once (pretty much all of them other than RAID 1). For RAID 1, it's not so important that the drives are the same as they're just mirrored. 

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

To be clear, RAID 0 isn't necessarily dangerous if you have good backup systems or are storing data you don't mind losing. It's just that if any drive in the array fails, you lose all the data on the array. There are benefits to RAID 0 that can be useful for scratch disks or combining multiple disks.

Yeah i was gonna put my OS, games and some music projects in it, and i know the Raid 0's losing one means loosing all thing. I just want to know will it further increase the read-write speed of my ssd's? which i read and knew was minimal. So i won't risk it maybe i would consider Raid 1:)

Just now, arkam said:

Yeah i was gonna put my OS, games and some music projects in it, and i know the Raid 0's losing one means loosing all thing. I just want to know will it further increase the read-write speed of my ssd's? which i read and knew was minimal. So i won't risk it maybe i would consider Raid 1:)

Interestingly, RAID 0 can actually increase boot times, even though it increases read and write speeds. When using RAID (any type) the RAID controller and array(s) have to initialise first, so there's an additional delay when booting. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Interestingly, RAID 0 can actually increase boot times, even though it increases read and write speeds. When using RAID (any type) the RAID controller and array(s) have to initialise first, so there's an additional delay when booting. 

Yup, so better not using a RAID right??

1 minute ago, arkam said:

Yup, so better not using a RAID right??

For normal desktop use, a good backup is normally the better option. 

Okay. Gaming?

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

For normal desktop use, a good backup is normally the better option. 

Just now, arkam said:

Okay. Gaming?

That's what I'd consider normal desktop use. 

For content creation, workstations and similar uses with critical data, RAID can be useful to prevent data loss when working with important files and minimising down time. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's what I'd consider normal desktop use. 

For content creation, workstations and similar uses with critical data, RAID can be useful to prevent data loss when working with important files and minimising down time. 

Ah! okay so probably i won't use RAID as i don't dive much into content creation. Thanks for the help. :)