Looking for a nice 4k TV

orels1
Go to solution Solved by Stagea,
16 hours ago, orels1 said:

So my questions are:

• Are the claims for HDR on non-OLED panels even worth investigating?
  • Can you get a decent enough 4k TV at this price point?
  • Should I bother finding something with android-tv? or it is better to use plex client on my console, and roll with that?
  • How do they handle 4k60? hdmi 2.0 only, or display port on TVs is the thing?

Sorry if the questions sound dumb to you, but I'm really a noob in TVs =/

Any advice or (even better) links to the actual products are appreciated.

Thanks!

My answers:

1. HDR on Non-OLED can still be good to excellent, depending on the TV. A VA panel with good lighting can deliver awesome contrast. The Samsung KS9800 is the reference HDR screen for some of the large content creators, for example.

2. Yes, there are decent screens for $500. The Samsung KU6300 / KU6290 models offer good objective performance for the price. The 40" model is $399 at Best Buy (50" variant can be squeezed in for a little over your budget). Here's a link: UN40KU6300

3. At this price point, I suggest looking for good fundamentals (static contrast, panel uniformity, color gamut, input lag, viewing angle, etc.) instead of looking at smart/playback features that your other devices can handle. 

4. Displayport is not common on TVs. They normally rely on HDMI 2.0 for 4k60.

So, as a person who played on a monitor for my whole life, after trying to dive into the world of TVs, I was overwhelmed by all those 1000hz marketing stuff, a bunch of different "enhancers", suspiciously looking HDR solutions on non-OLED panels and such, so I really need an advice here.

I have around $500 (US), and that is what I'm looking for:

• A 4k tv
  • Fast enough, so I can play games on it (for dem consoles)
  • Around 43'' in size
  • No sound required
  • 3 hdmi ports would be cool

So my questions are:

• Should I bother finding something with android-tv? or it is better to use plex client on my console, and roll with that?

Thanks!

All I can say is up your budget. The only thing that I can think to register at around $500 is a TCL.
I've never experienced using a TCL product. but usually only has mid level reviews.
Black Friday is just around the corner, though.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

this just happened to cross my view.
Once again, a brand I can not attest too.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

16 hours ago, orels1 said:

So my questions are:

Thanks!

My answers:

1. HDR on Non-OLED can still be good to excellent, depending on the TV. A VA panel with good lighting can deliver awesome contrast. The Samsung KS9800 is the reference HDR screen for some of the large content creators, for example.

2. Yes, there are decent screens for $500. The Samsung KU6300 / KU6290 models offer good objective performance for the price. The 40" model is $399 at Best Buy (50" variant can be squeezed in for a little over your budget). Here's a link: UN40KU6300

3. At this price point, I suggest looking for good fundamentals (static contrast, panel uniformity, color gamut, input lag, viewing angle, etc.) instead of looking at smart/playback features that your other devices can handle. 

39 minutes ago, Stagea said:

My answers:

Thank you. Those answers are just what I was looking for =)

8 hours ago, orels1 said:

Thank you. Those answers are just what I was looking for =)

You're welcome. In Russia the equivalent for the KU6300 TVs would be the KU6000 models (UE40KU6000U for the 40" model).