DOOM screen tearing

baloonis

Greetings.

I play DOOM on ultra settings and 1440p using a GTX 1080 and a G-sync monitor ASUS PG278Q and I see tearing but only on some cutscenes, never in-game. 

Is there any way to get rid of it? (I have the in-game v-sync setting off)

By the way, switching between open-GL and Vulkan does not eliminate it.

Seek and you shall find.

Don't know if this is helpful but you're not the only ony

So I'm guessing theres no way, I mean the cutscenes aren't that long so :/ 

It's unfortunate, but pre-rendered cutscenes in games are usually run at low framerates and low resolutions. And if I'm not mistaken, I think Gsync's minimum refresh rate is 30 Hz. So if there's any fluctuation at all (like 29.9 FPS) that might show up as tearing.

1 minute ago, typographie said:

It's unfortunate, but pre-rendered cutscenes in games are usually run at low framerates and low resolutions. And if I'm not mistaken, I think Gsync's minimum refresh rate is 30 Hz. So if there's any fluctuation at all (like 29.9 FPS) that might show up as tearing.

If I can remember correctly, the cutscenes run at a steady 60 fps, while the rest of the game runs at around 120 fps.

So, I take it it's not g-sync's fault, but the game's?

Seek and you shall find.

Just now, baloonis said:

If I can remember correctly, the cutscenes run at a steady 60 fps, while the rest of the game runs at around 120 fps.

So, I take it it's not g-sync's fault, but the game's?

I'm unsure, then. If the game's cutscenes run at 60 FPS, that basically eliminates my theory. :P

I don't own the game, I'm just speculating based on the fact that jarring 29.97 FPS pre-rendered cutscenes have plagued high-performance PC games for a long time.

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

I'm unsure, then. If the game's cutscenes run at 60 FPS, that basically eliminates my theory. :P

I don't own the game, I'm just speculating based on the fact that jarring 29.97 FPS pre-rendered cutscenes have plagued high-performance PC games for a long time.

i could be mistaken about the 60 fps, i'll check when i get home, thank you anyway

Seek and you shall find.

• 8 months later...

I have the same GPU and the same monitor and I am experiencing the same issue. This thread was the first result when I Googled it. I suppose we just gotta live with it!