Roccat Ryos Mk Pro (Cherry MX red)

54Gmw.jpg

Introduction

The Roccat Ryos Mk Pro is a new Mechanical Keyboard from Roccat, and features several unique features. One on them is a Glossy but fingerprint resistant surface which surrounds the Keyboard.

Also there is a "jumbo" sized Wrist rest which is large enought for people with smaller hands, like myself. It's probably also good enough in terms of size for Linus and those who got similar sized hands.

Packaging and included stuff

The Packaging is pretty simple but effective. There is no foam or anything, just a simple Black box with the keyboard and a Quickstart Guide in.

Here are a few photos for y'all.

Box front

55b5A.jpg

Box back

55b6W.jpg

Inner box

55b8w.jpg

Inside the box

55ba8.jpg

55bbK.jpg

55be1.jpg

Dem pro quality Velcro

55bfU.jpg

All dem cables

55bhF.jpg

USB Ports of the keyboard

55bj0.jpg

Audio jacks

55bl8.jpg

Dem braided calbe (can't see through at all)

55bma.jpg

The switch (it's really a MX red, what a magic)

55b1X.jpg

Personalization

You can personalize the Keyboard in a lot of ways. You could change Lightnight options for every single key, set Lightning macros, to for example fade all keys to off, when dead in a specific game (Can be done via SDK) or have the number keys' illumination represent the current windows volume level. With that said, you can also programm any illumination actions, given when pressing a key. The key Illuminations does have 5 Brightness levels, and can be turned completely off or on for any key.

There are two predefined actions. Riple FX and Fade FX. Fade FX changes the Illumination mode of the pressed key for as defined amount of time (in seconds) so you can have like a keyboard footstep things, to see which keys were pressed within the defined time.

The time starts at 1 and ends at 30, so you can ahve a pressed key glow for 30 seconds and then turn off again, or have it not glowing anymore if it was already glowing before it was pressed.

But you can even personalize the Keymapping itself. So for example you are a Canadian Techguy and you would love to have a Eu layout Keyboard, but the only thing that you really hate is the positioning of the Z key for EU keyboards because it is swapped with the Y Key on US Keyboards.

If this would be the problem, you could simple swap out the keycaps, and go to the Key assignment Menu, and change the Primary Key funktion to totally remap the key to anything...

So you can not only swap out Z and Y, you can also change the function of EVERY key to spacebar, if you want to troll someone or stuff like that (NOTE: you can only remap the keys in the MAIN Block which Roccat calls the "Easy Zone". All other keys could simply be deactivated without any problems.)

54HJ6.jpg

54HJS.jpg

Backlight 5/5

55aUh.jpg

Backlight 4/5

55aWj.jpg

Backlight 3/5

55aY0.jpg

Backlight 2/5

55aZz.jpg

Backlight 1/5

55b0M.jpg

Showing off:

- Per Key Illumination

- RippleFX (the thing when I press the spacebar)

- Volume Indicator (with the Numberkeys)

Software

Most things have already been said, so here is what wasn't mentioned before.

The Roccat Ryos Mk Pro Driver software features the R.A.D. which stands for Roccat Achivement Display. It basically is thier Achivement software within thier driver. Here is a quick look at it:

54IHJ.jpg

As you can see in the Picture the R.A.D. Software records how often you press e.g the Backlight level changer Key.

Personal thoughts

Overall the Buildquality of this Keyboard is jsut astonishing. It has got like no flex to it at all, and the enormous rubber feet on the bottom of the Keyboard make it to not move anywere. The typing experience is really great, thats why I went with the Cherry MX red switches, even though this is my first Mechanical Keyboard every, and I have not tried any switches before..

But my Rubberdome keyboard I have before was more on the Heavier side (similar to the MX Black in terms of preasure required to actually activate the key) and I didn't like that too much, so I went with the lighter and still somewhat quiet MX red. When i compare the noise of the actual keystrokes to those on my Rubebrdome keyboard it's acutally somewhat loud, but i got used to it after a few hours actually using it and it doesn't bother me anymore.

But to be honest there are a few things which could ahve been improved by Roccat. For example the Keycaps don't feel really premium or something. They just feel like the usual cheap'o Keykaps which come with like any Keyboard. But considering this Keyboard did cost 170 bucks i would ahve wished some more premium Keycaps, and maybe some additional ones for like W A S D Keys and stuff.. But is came with nothing inside the Box but the Keyboard and a Quickstart guide. Everything else seems just fine for me on this specific Keyboard.

The rubber feets, and cable routing

55aQE.jpg

Conclusion

Is this worth 170 Bucks? Probably no, but if you are looking into a keyboard which got those features and looks then why not go for it? The features are somewhat unique, and the build quality is astonishing.

Would I recomend this keyboard? No, there are programms which let you do the kind of stuff, that makes this Keyboard unique (atleast key remapping), and paying like 30 bucks for Illumination macros over the MK Glow isn't really what I call great value.

So the choice is yours. If you got the money and you don't bother trying to use software as replacement for this Keyboard then go for it. If not then not. It's up to the individual to either buy it or not.

And fot those blaming Roccat for Products in the Past: go try it. There is a much that has been changed over at Roccat. If you then still think your Product is defective, ask the support for a refund. They are verry nice there.

Greetz

Dr3nz4r

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

[reserved]

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

Oohh daaaahm i really love the commercial of the Roccat Ryos MK pro! I'm not a ROCCAT fanboy but it really like their products! 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I'm kind of anti-Roccat guy, because they dissapointed me in many products. 

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I'm kind of anti-Roccat guy, because they dissapointed me in many products. 

Well to be honest, my Kova[+] had massive glue leaking after the warrenty was over.. I emailed em and they sent me a brand new one.. They allowed me to keep my old glue leaking one, which i just ripped the rubber pieces off, removed any glue and used super glue.. so i basically have 2 fully functional and brand new Kova[+] 's now.

Well to be honest, my Kova[+] had massive glue leaking after the warrenty was over.. I emailed em and they sent me a brand new one.. They allowed me to keep my old glue leaking one, which i just ripped the rubber pieces off, removed any glue and used super glue.. so i basically have 2 fully functional and brand new Kova[+] 's now.

I can tell you on the other hand that they released shit drivers for Roccat Valo keyboard, making the older drivers undownloadable and when I reported my issues they almost didn't even bother replying like other companies, which replay in a day or two , here I got my response after a month. Note that I bought the keyboard for €100 so it's not something cheap ass that I can throw into the dumpster and buy a new one, altough my patience is over and I will be getting a new one. Roccat? Not again.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Whaaat, Roccat makes mech keyboards now ? Interesting, not really a big fan of the brand though

Edit: 200€ ??????? WTH, not sure if the price is right...

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

Whaaat, Roccat makes mech keyboards now ? Interesting, not really a big fan of the brand though

Edit: 200€ ??????? WTH, not sure if the price is right...

169.99€ for the Pro version is correct. But the basic one is coming at 99€ without backlighting and such.

It finally arrived.. gonna update my first post soon with impressions, and pictures.

Where did u get it? I have newegg set to notify me when there available and have gotten no email yet...

Where did u get it? I have newegg set to notify me when there available and have gotten no email yet...

bought it off amazon.. they were sold out in 2 hours though.. every version (normal/glow/pro) was sold out within a day... pretty hardcore how many people must have been waiting for thiis keyboard..

bought it off amazon.. they were sold out in 2 hours though.. every version (normal/glow/pro) was sold out within a day... pretty hardcore how many people must have been waiting for thiis keyboard..

On US amazon? The reason I ask is because it says you can preorder it and it comes out nov 18th or something like that. And yes im waiting for it I believe it essentially has a programmable fn layer for the whole keyboard when utiling easy shift, mind checking that out for me?

I bought it on Amazon DE (germany) there would be no reason, to order from outside Germany :D Shipping costs over 9000.

Well here in Germany the Ryos was released on 24th of October.. so 2 days ago

you can create multiple layers.. when using the basic funtionallity you got 3 layers:

normal

FN key down

easyshift

under the advanced methods you can do stuff like this:

-when shift left doen

- shift right down

- alt down

- alt gr down

- ctrl left down

- ctrl right down

- etc....

I bought it on Amazon DE (germany) there would be no reason, to order from outside Germany :D Shipping costs over 9000.

Well here in Germany the Ryos was released on 24th of October.. so 2 days ago

you can create multiple layers.. when using the basic funtionallity you got 3 layers:

normal

FN key down

easyshift

under the advanced methods you can do stuff like this:

-when shift left doen

- shift right down

- alt down

- alt gr down

- ctrl left down

- ctrl right down

- etc....

Sweet im sold I do wish it was a TKL or TK not a fullsize

Sweet im sold I do wish it was a TKL or TK not a fullsize

:D i ugently wanted a fullsize keyboard, with mecahnical keys, beucase i was using a Logitech K320 which is a compact sized laptop like keybaord with shitty flat rubebrdome keys..

Edit: here's a screenshot of all available Illumination layers:

4ZTNO.jpg

Main Window

4ZTUS.png

Key Assignment:

4ZTT2.jpg

:D i ugently wanted a fullsize keyboard, with mecahnical keys, beucase i was using a Logitech K320 which is a compact sized laptop like keybaord with shitty flat rubebrdome keys..

Key Assignment:

4ZTT2.jpg

Well once you can have layers fullsize is too big and TKL or TK is optimal if you still want a numpad otherwise you can go even smaller.

Wait so you can just remap the default lay too like make it to without holding anything you can make the "k" key the "e" key? If so I want this even more because that means its fully programmable something thats never been available in a consume board before!

Well once you can have layers fullsize is too big and TKL or TK is optimal if you still want a numpad otherwise you can go even smaller.

Wait so you can just remap the default lay too like make it to without holding anything you can make the "k" key the "e" key? If so I want this even more because that means its fully programmable something thats never been available in a consume board before!

You can remap every key, to anything.. so you could like get a EU Keyboard Layout in the US, but you dont like that Y and Z are swapped, so you simply remap those keys and swap the keycaps.. done you got a QWERTY like EU keyboard layout. Within remapping you can use combinations of keys aswell, so e.g rebind "e" to "shift+c" only single keys possible

Proof of Concept:

54FoF.jpg

Added Photos and a video demonstration of the LightningFX to the first post

check it out!

You can remap every key, to anything.. so you could like get a EU Keyboard Layout in the US, but you dont like that Y and Z are swapped, so you simply remap those keys and swap the keycaps.. done you got a QWERTY like EU keyboard layout. Within remapping you can use combinations of keys aswell, so e.g rebind "e" to "shift+c" only single keys possible

Proof of Concept:

54FoF.jpg

Proof of Concept:

54FoF.jpg

Sweet im even more sold now. hopefully you can do the shift+c in the layer though.

Sweet im even more sold now. hopefully you can do the shift+c in the layer though.

Not working sorry, maybe they'll add this in future driver updates? I hope so..

Roccat is sooo sick! :D and I also love it how they got cheap keyboards for people on tight budgets 

Roccat is sooo sick! :D and I also love it how they got cheap keyboards for people on tight budgets

Thats not this board as its $170.

i ordered mine on monday and it should be here tomorrow. :D