Flashing IBM ServeRaid M1015

ERSCreeper

Hey Everyone

So we received a bunch of "old" servers and the one had two raid cards installed wired into each other so I pulled the one out and I would like to use it in my media server.

The card is a IBM ServeRaid M1015 but the board name is SAS9220-8i and I would like to flash it with the LSI IT firmware so that I can use it has a HBA Card and setup FreeNas instead of Windows Server 2012 R2.

I have tried updating the IBM firmware to the latest version but it refuses to update since it is no longer installed in an IBM system so I would like to know if any one could help point me in the right direction to flash the LSI firmware :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

System Specs of Media Server:
Intel core i3 2120 3.3Ghz
Gigabyte H61M-S2P
2x 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3

Here is a picture of the back of the card:

IMG_20161108_172011.jpg

\

@alpenwasser wrote a great tutorial a number of years ago --

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I don't have the binary zip up on the website anymore (put it together yourself or maybe some other guides have it available for download?) but I think the write up still has some good information, take a look over here: http://blog.quindorian.org/2013/11/home-serverstoragelab-setup-part-12-x.html/

• Quindor from the Intermittent Technology blog (intermit.tech) and YouTube channel (Intermit.Tech)
  • Organizer of LAN-parties (1100 people) The Party and CampZone (~2000 people)
  • Officially a senior storage expert, un-officially a networking expert, besides all of that enjoys lots of different computer related subjects
  • Aspiring video maker! ;)