home sever and nas

m2234323

is this one IBM System x3650 7979 8 core E5420 Xeon 2.5GHz Dual Quad Core 24 GB RAM Server   

recommend for use as a nas

how to decide if I should kept on use the pile of hard drive or get a nas have 4 hard drive  aready  on 4 tb one 500gb 2 320 gb 

I think it a little over the top for a home server.

The geek himself.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

I think it a little over the top for a home server.

then what to get I also want to run vm on to test stuff

Oh. Virtual Machines, Multiple at a time. I do recommend this server now if your going to be multitasking like crazy. 

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Oh. Virtual Machines, Multiple at a time. I do recommend this server now if your going to be multitasking like crazy. 

not may just  nas and one once in while to test out os like window sever or Ubuntu
IBM System x3650 M3 Server 2x) Six Core X5650 2.66GHz 64GB RAM 4x146GB SAS RAID

$279.99

+$60.00 shipping

The only issue with this server is that if you plan to use the case, you are limited to 2.5" drives.  

Just now, VanguardScar said:

The only issue with this server is that if you plan to use the case, you are limited to 2.5" drives.  

did not know

how to find a good use one or to buld one

do it have to be XEON  cpu for home use

1 hour ago, m2234323 said:

how to decide if I should buy one or buld one

If you are having trouble deciding between building a server yourself or buying a secondhand unit perhaps consider some of the pros and cons of each.

Buying secondhand;
- Cheap parts and easy to find fully configured servers or computers, ready to go.
- Parts may be old, which could make it susceptible to failure, slow or inefficient (i.e. high power draw, excess heat or noisy)
- Often times you will come across servers with proprietary connectors or adapters, requiring you to find and source identical replacement parts if something fails.

- You may be limited in expansion options, some boards or parts may not support the features you require(i.e. old RAID cards often don't support more than 2TB per drive, or you're limited to 2.5" in a particular case, or the motherboard only supports legacy standards like PCI-x) 

Buying New;

- Expensive

- Can choose parts to exact specifications

- Often desktop parts are made to, or you can easily choose, standards that are interchangeable and easily replaceable in the event of failure

- Newest parts run cooler and more efficiently. 

1 hour ago, m2234323 said:

do it have to be XEON  cpu for home use

No, It does not have to Xeon for the use case you are suggesting. Normal desktop parts a reliable enough for a home server, even running 24/7. The advantage of Xeon's comes from added reliability, through extensive testing and validation, the addition of ECC RAM, their efficiency and the ability to scale beyond a few cores and a single processor. 

If you want a fast, cheap computer to run as a NAS and have enough horsepower left over to experiment with and with reasonable expansion options, I would suggest something along the lines of a secondhand workstation. You can often find them cheaply and they have support for multiple drive types and add-in cards while being powerful enough for your needs, however they also are often proprietary in size or connectors. That said, you can also often find cheap parts to transplant into and maintain the system in the event of a motherboard failure or PSU failure or the like. Just try and go for a common systems for maximum part availability. 

Something like this (Z600, Z800 series are good too) might take your fancy, please also note you can get cheap bay accessories if you wish to expand available drive spaces.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Workstation-Z400-PC-Desktop-Intel-Xeon-W3520-2-67GHz-16GB-500GB-DVDRW-W7P-/122211626065?hash=item1c74616c51:g:kkUAAOSwLF1X8rhm

A bit higher-end but with 2 CPUs and a graphics card, if you wish to experiment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Workstation-Z600-2x-QC-Xeon-E5520-2-27GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-FirePro-2270-/371689565699?hash=item568a6cae03:g:JbUAAOSwGIRXYvdY

Bay expansion (on the cheap)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/can-set-5pcs-3-5-SATA-SAS-HDD-PC-Host-Case-Hard-Drive-bay-Cage-Tray-Caddy-Rack-/381748892628?hash=item58e201d3d4:g:hGIAAOSw~OdVdpaQ

High-end hotswap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORCO-SS-500-5-Bay-SATA-SAS-Hot-Swap-Rack-Module-/122215117233?hash=item1c7496b1b1:g:RxkAAOSwB09YIIH1

EDIT: Also take into consideration age of parts. Generally speaking, looking up the processor model on Intel ARK is good enough to ballpark the age of the system, and also account for the cost of replacement parts vs the cost of new parts. For example if supply is plentiful and you could buy two or more parts for the cost of a new one it makes sense to go secondhand for personal use. 

Still, pay very close attention to compatibility with secondhand server/workstation parts. I can't stress this enough. For example, that Z400 PSU looks like it's ATX sized, but its not and it doesn't have standard ATX power wiring on the end, but you can plug an ATX PSU into the motherboard, though you might fry it.

You could also look at secondhand desktop machines as well; they often have better compatibility with commercial of the shelf parts, however I often find it's harder to find good deals as most are overvalued and they often have the same trappings of using custom size form factors when purchased from manufacturers; perhaps something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-780-Desktop-Core-2-Quad-Q9400-2-66GHz-4GB-DDR3-250GB-WIN7-COA-Used-/371782897625?hash=item568ffccfd9:g:hKgAAOSw2GlXJN5v

You could also cobble a machine together from component parts but this is often quite difficult secondhand, best bet for this option would be to scrounge around a secondhand computer parts stores and get a Motherboard, CPU, RAM and case to fit. Afterwards buy HDD's, PSU (always if you can, buy good PSU's new), any extras you might need- GPU etc - and your flavor of Operating System. 

1 hour ago, VanguardScar said:

If you are having trouble deciding between building a server yourself or buying a secondhand unit perhaps consider some of the pros and cons of each.

Buying secondhand;
- Cheap parts and easy to find fully configured servers or computers, ready to go.
- Parts may be old, which could make it susceptible to failure, slow or inefficient (i.e. high power draw, excess heat or noisy)
- Often times you will come across servers with proprietary connectors or adapters, requiring you to find and source identical replacement parts if something fails.

- You may be limited in expansion options, some boards or parts may not support the features you require(i.e. old RAID cards often don't support more than 2TB per drive, or you're limited to 2.5" in a particular case, or the motherboard only supports legacy standards like PCI-x) 

Buying New;

- Expensive

- Can choose parts to exact specifications

- Often desktop parts are made to, or you can easily choose, standards that are interchangeable and easily replaceable in the event of failure

- Newest parts run cooler and more efficiently. 

No, It does not have to Xeon for the use case you are suggesting. Normal desktop parts a reliable enough for a home server, even running 24/7. The advantage of Xeon's comes from added reliability, through extensive testing and validation, the addition of ECC RAM, their efficiency and the ability to scale beyond a few cores and a single processor. 

If you want a fast, cheap computer to run as a NAS and have enough horsepower left over to experiment with and with reasonable expansion options, I would suggest something along the lines of a secondhand workstation. You can often find them cheaply and they have support for multiple drive types and add-in cards while being powerful enough for your needs, however they also are often proprietary in size or connectors. That said, you can also often find cheap parts to transplant into and maintain the system in the event of a motherboard failure or PSU failure or the like. Just try and go for a common systems for maximum part availability. 

Something like this (Z600, Z800 series are good too) might take your fancy, please also note you can get cheap bay accessories if you wish to expand available drive spaces.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Workstation-Z400-PC-Desktop-Intel-Xeon-W3520-2-67GHz-16GB-500GB-DVDRW-W7P-/122211626065?hash=item1c74616c51:g:kkUAAOSwLF1X8rhm

A bit higher-end but with 2 CPUs and a graphics card, if you wish to experiment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Workstation-Z600-2x-QC-Xeon-E5520-2-27GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-FirePro-2270-/371689565699?hash=item568a6cae03:g:JbUAAOSwGIRXYvdY

Bay expansion (on the cheap)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/can-set-5pcs-3-5-SATA-SAS-HDD-PC-Host-Case-Hard-Drive-bay-Cage-Tray-Caddy-Rack-/381748892628?hash=item58e201d3d4:g:hGIAAOSw~OdVdpaQ

High-end hotswap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NORCO-SS-500-5-Bay-SATA-SAS-Hot-Swap-Rack-Module-/122215117233?hash=item1c7496b1b1:g:RxkAAOSwB09YIIH1

EDIT: Also take into consideration age of parts. Generally speaking, looking up the processor model on Intel ARK is good enough to ballpark the age of the system, and also account for the cost of replacement parts vs the cost of new parts. For example if supply is plentiful and you could buy two or more parts for the cost of a new one it makes sense to go secondhand for personal use. 

Still, pay very close attention to compatibility with secondhand server/workstation parts. I can't stress this enough. For example, that Z400 PSU looks like it's ATX sized, but its not and it doesn't have standard ATX power wiring on the end, but you can plug an ATX PSU into the motherboard, though you might fry it.

You could also look at secondhand desktop machines as well; they often have better compatibility with commercial of the shelf parts, however I often find it's harder to find good deals as most are overvalued and they often have the same trappings of using custom size form factors when purchased from manufacturers; perhaps something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-780-Desktop-Core-2-Quad-Q9400-2-66GHz-4GB-DDR3-250GB-WIN7-COA-Used-/371782897625?hash=item568ffccfd9:g:hKgAAOSw2GlXJN5v

You could also cobble a machine together from component parts but this is often quite difficult secondhand, best bet for this option would be to scrounge around a secondhand computer parts stores and get a Motherboard, CPU, RAM and case to fit. Afterwards buy HDD's, PSU (always if you can, buy good PSU's new), any extras you might need- GPU etc - and your flavor of Operating System. 

or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-933T-2x-AMD-Opteron-250-2-4Hz-8GB-RAID-15-Bay-SATA-Storage-NAS-/112165618097?hash=item1a1d9781b1:g:baMAAOSwLF1X~uGR

would it work

See below.

2 hours ago, m2234323 said:

A little bit of research reveals that this particular system is a long out of date dual processor, single core design from 2004. They're 90nm fab process running at 2.4Ghz, the 15x 3.5" drive bays are appealing, however it is in the 3U server form factor and unless you have a server rack, may be unwieldy to store or use.  The system runs 8GB of DDR SDRAM, likely 133Mhz. The expansion card running to the front back-plane is an LSI Logic MegaRAID SATA300-8X which runs at 300MB/s on a PCI-X bus and does not support greater than 2TB per drive.

This may or may not fit your needs or wants, however without more information about your usage or plans I could not say either way. 

Edit: Forgot to quote. Oops.

13 hours ago, VanguardScar said:

A little bit of research reveals that this particular system is a long out of date dual processor, single core design from 2004. They're 90nm fab process running at 2.4Ghz, the 15x 3.5" drive bays are appealing, however it is in the 3U server form factor and unless you have a server rack, may be unwieldy to store or use.  The system runs 8GB of DDR SDRAM, likely 133Mhz. The expansion card running to the front back-plane is an LSI Logic MegaRAID SATA300-8X which runs at 300MB/s on a PCI-X bus and does not support greater than 2TB per drive.

This may or may not fit your needs or wants, however without more information about your usage or plans I could not say either way. 

Edit: Forgot to quote. Oops.

it is very hard to decide which one to get

23 hours ago, m2234323 said:

have 4 hard drive  aready  on 4 tb one 500gb 2 320 gb 

21 hours ago, m2234323 said:

5 hours ago, m2234323 said:

The expansion card running to the front back-plane is an LSI Logic MegaRAID SATA300-8X which runs at 300MB/s on a PCI-X bus and does not support greater than 2TB per drive.

If you bought the server you linked (The one with the dual AMD Opterons from 2004) you would be unable to use the 4TB drive you already have on hand for storage, as the RAID card in this particular server does not support over 2TB. 

47 minutes ago, VanguardScar said:

If you bought the server you linked (The one with the dual AMD Opterons from 2004) you would be unable to use the 4TB drive you already have on hand for storage, as the RAID card in this particular server does not support over 2TB. 

How to decide how power full how many hard drive did the computer you show have space for 

or will this work http://www.ebay.com/itm/2U-Server-8x-3-5-Bay-SATA3-6GB-s-JBOD-FreeNAS-Server-X8DTI-F-2x-Xeon-E5620-24GB-/142166511422?hash=item2119c8cf3e

11 hours ago, VanguardScar said:

sure

how to decide I should get the sever or the workstation

Cheapest and best: Dell R710, Dell R610, Dell 2100, IBM 3650 M3, HP G6.

Workstation - not many for sale, price usually higher.

Avoid socket 771, look for socket 1366.