Buying a CPU from 2nd hand Stores

Here in the Uk, we have CEX. its not a bad company with all the deals and such. But would buying computer parts from there be a risk? 

I've spotted an i5-6500 selling for £130 and its price on amazon is around £185.

CEX warranties are quite lengthy, but would you guys says its worth the risk?

1 minute ago, BaronButtsie said:

Here in the Uk, we have CEX. its not a bad company with all the deals and such. But would buying computer parts from there be a risk? 

I've spotted an i5-6500 selling for £130 and its price on amazon is around £185.

I dont see how it is a risk if the box is sealed

I have no idea about the specific store but so far I've had a 3570, a 3770k and a 5820k, only the 3570 was new and the rest was used. All the CPU's have worked perfectly, just like the new one. The 3770k even turned out to be a monster chip overclocking to 5GHz on air and 5.3GHz with air temperatures below the freezing point. I bought that CPU 1.5 years ago for only €185 and it was the best purchase I ever made when it comes to tech.

If you have any way of knowing that you will get a working CPU (which you do as you have a warranty), I'd take the shot and get that CPU (unless you manage to find a better deal).

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

Buying a non-K used cpu is quite safe. And even buying k ones is pretty safe too.

When in doubt, re-format.

5 minutes ago, BaronButtsie said:

IMO i would NOT buy from CEX i had a warranty in a 64GB S6 which had a problem and they agreed it comes under the warranty, they didnt have a like for like replacement anywhere 

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

6 minutes ago, BaronButtsie said:

i bought 2 i5 6500 from cex and they were both great, one was even faster than my 6600K 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I can't speak for CEX, but I have bought an i7 2600, e5640, and q6600 second hand from eBay and each worked, although I was unable to use the q6600 myself and gifted it to another member.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430