Motherboard cpu led light up red

Go to solution Solved by Inf3cted_Worm,

Yeah that may be your best option, somewhere with some spare parts should be able to sort which component is having issues. I wish you luck man!

I just finished a game of Battlefield One and my pc crashed and said it would restart automatically, but upon reatarting it would not post and the cpu led light came on, on my Asus z170 Deluxe MB. I took out the cpu to inspect it and re set the possitioning thinking maybe it was off, but the light is still red and it will not post. what do I do now?

System info:

I7 6700k

Asus z170 deluxe Motherboard

16GB RAM

950 Pro SSD

WD 1T Black HDD

850watt psu

Gtx 1070

Kraken x61 aio cooler.

Od fix, but you might want to try switching up ramm slots. I've had this happen to me

The POST isn't detecting the CPU right. It's either broken or the settings for it are off. Since you've just recently suffered a critical crash, and I'm assuming it's closer to the first time than the thousandth, I'd say it's more likely that your settings are off. Reset your BIOS and re-enter the relevant settings manually. You know, the time, boot order, RAM timings and voltages and so on. The CPU itself I'd leave at stock for now.

11 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

The POST isn't detecting the CPU right. It's either broken or the settings for it are off. Since you've just recently suffered a critical crash, and I'm assuming it's closer to the first time than the thousandth, I'd say it's more likely that your settings are off. Reset your BIOS and re-enter the relevant settings manually. You know, the time, boot order, RAM timings and voltages and so on. The CPU itself I'd leave at stock for now.

How do I reset my bios if the pc wont post? i hit the reset button on the motherboard and it's still not posting.

Just now, Mrtyumara666 said:

How do I reset my bios if the pc wont post? i hit the reset button on the motherboard and it's still not posting.

Take the battery on the mobo out for about a minute to reset. Or find the bridge to trip the CMOS reset, both will achieve the same thing

2 minutes ago, Inf3cted_Worm said:

Take the battery on the mobo out for about a minute to reset. Or find the bridge to trip the CMOS reset, both will achieve the same thing

Just tried to clear the CMOS, light is still on amd refusing to post.

3 minutes ago, Mrtyumara666 said:

Take a look at your motherboard's manual. There's either a battery or a jumper or both. 

1 minute ago, Mrtyumara666 said:

Just tried to clear the CMOS, light is still on amd refusing to post.

Was it OC'd? I'm running out of ideas to be honest. Do you have any spare 1151 socket boards around?

8 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Take a look at your motherboard's manual. There's either a battery or a jumper or both. 

Just tried the jumper. still not working.

7 minutes ago, Inf3cted_Worm said:

Was it OC'd? I'm running out of ideas to be honest. Do you have any spare 1151 socket boards around?

It was, but it's never come close to overheating or anything before. also no, i don't unfortunatly.

Edited by Mrtyumara666

Not always necessary for it to overheat to crash. Many times the OC may trip a crash and your bios remembers oh hey by the way don't boot that, that setting is wrong and it'll freak out. Asus is usually pretty good though, you've unplugged all the USB's etc too?

Nice set up by the way

2 minutes ago, Inf3cted_Worm said:

Not always necessary for it to overheat to crash. Many times the OC may trip a crash and your bios remembers oh hey by the way don't boot that, that setting is wrong and it'll freak out. Asus is usually pretty good though, you've unplugged all the USB's etc too?

Nice set up by the way

Thanks, and I just tried to boot with the usbs unplugged, still nothing. starting to think my cpu is just dead for no apparent reason. i can't imagine there is much more I can try to test what could have happened.

Damn! Try and source another mobo to confirm, if anyone you know has a 1151 socketed board they could lend you to test the cpu on. Does the LED panel give you an error code to look up?

4 minutes ago, Inf3cted_Worm said:

Damn! Try and source another mobo to confirm, if anyone you know has a 1151 socketed board they could lend you to test the cpu on. Does the LED panel give you an error code to look up?

Nope. just displaying 00

1 minute ago, Inf3cted_Worm said:

Okay so what if you remove all but one stick of RAM as well?

I don't see how ram could effect the cpu from not working. but what do I know? I'm on here asking questions cuz I have no idea what I'm doing.

There's so many different things that will prevent a post, even if you have mobo stand offs installed incorrectly and it's causing a short on the board can cause boot issues. Try everything man, eventually you'll find something that initially you may have thought to be irrelevant but it fixes it. Haunted hardware at its best

5 minutes ago, Inf3cted_Worm said:

There's so many different things that will prevent a post, even if you have mobo stand offs installed incorrectly and it's causing a short on the board can cause boot issues. Try everything man, eventually you'll find something that initially you may have thought to be irrelevant but it fixes it. Haunted hardware at its best

Just tried the ram thing you suggested. didn't work. i just don't get it. might just have to bring it to a local guy for a fix or real troubleshoot. there is nothing more i can think to do.

Yeah that may be your best option, somewhere with some spare parts should be able to sort which component is having issues. I wish you luck man!