Computer won't turn on

PalkiaRock484

So I'm panicking right now because my computer was working fine yesterday and now the power button doesn't work, when I use the psu testing tool it works fine, and now it's just flashing on and off for split seconds when I adjust the 24 pin.

Grump Bumb

Do you think the problem lies in the 24-pin connector? You'll know because it will work sometimes or intermittently. I'm not able to tell what you're saying in the question.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Just now, kimsejin5 said:

Do you think the problem lies in the 24-pin connector? You'll know because it will work sometimes or intermittently. I'm not able to tell what you're saying in the question.

No, the power supply works fine whenever I use the psu tester, it might be my motherboard but I don't know what to do about it and I'm panicking because I have a bunch of work to do.

Grump Bumb

We know that the power supply works; it could be the connector itself. Do you have another power supply that you could swap out just the 24-pin connector with?

7 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

We know that the power supply works; it could be the connector itself. Do you have another power supply that you could swap out just the 24-pin connector with?

No I don't and the psu tester uses the 24 pin so I'm sure that thats not the problem

Grump Bumb

Is the computer itself dirty or dusty? Additional debris around the motherboard can easily short it out and cause problems like the ones that you describing. Thankfully, most of these shorts don't damage the board given that they are cleared relatively quickly.

Learn how to clean your computer here:

9 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

Is the computer itself dirty or dusty? Additional debris around the motherboard can easily short it out and cause problems like the ones that you describing. Thankfully, most of these shorts don't damage the board given that they are cleared relatively quickly.

Learn how to clean your computer here:

The case standoffs didn't exactly match up to the motherboard when I built it, so I tried taking the screws out to further diagnose the problem and I heard cracking sounds. I don't know if that means my mother board is dead because the screws have been like that for almost a year with no problems

Grump Bumb

Were the cracking sounds electrical cracking (small but frequent pops) or were they stress cracks (cracks made when something is bent or stretched, creaking included)?

40 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

Were the cracking sounds electrical cracking (small but frequent pops) or were they stress cracks (cracks made when something is bent or stretched, creaking included)?

sorry for the late response my phone died, they were stress crackings

Grump Bumb

On 11/5/2016 at 10:26 PM, PalkiaRock484 said:

sorry for the late response my phone died, they were stress crackings

Ditto, sorry for the late reply; unfortunately, if they're stress crack sounds, there's a good chance that you've simply been dodging bullets this entire time and that the board's been on the brink of collapse for the time that you've been using it. Sorry to break the bad news.

have you tried to jumper the power on header to turn it on bypassing the case button?

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

10 hours ago, kimsejin5 said:

Ditto, sorry for the late reply; unfortunately, if they're stress crack sounds, there's a good chance that you've simply been dodging bullets this entire time and that the board's been on the brink of collapse for the time that you've been using it. Sorry to break the bad news.

all the layers of the mobo have different layers of electrical runs. if you severed one of those runs from the "cracks" you've got yourself a very nice paperweight.