Bad Mobo?

Colonal-Kohler

So I just built a server, using some used parts off ebay. I just need a second opinion on which part is bad, I think it's the motherboard.

Going to start with saying everything is hooked up properly, this isn't my first time. When I press the power button, literally nothing happens. No lights inside or outside of PC, no fans move (CPU cooler or case fans). The power supply is brand new from EVGA off Newegg, it's unlikely the problem, and I don;t have a spare that has 2 CPU headers to swap in to test.

Can anyone think of anything else that could cause this? If you need any info, ask away.

check that the powerbutton is plugged in right first off, then check that its actiually getting power and PSU is on, if still nothing short the PSU to make sure that turns on and if it does its the motherboard

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, The Slimy Pig said:

Everything plugged in? Have you switched the PSU on?

Yes, the CPU 8 pin powers are both in, the 24 pin motherboard power is in. The power/reset button are hooked up. RAM, CPU, and fans/heatsinks all hooked up. I don't have any hard drives in yet, but it should be able to post without those. And the power supply is on, and plugged into a known working outlet. 

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

check that the powerbutton is plugged in right first off, then check that its actiually getting power and PSU is on, if still nothing short the PSU to make sure that turns on and if it does its the motherboard

I have double checked the power button is in the correct pins. I know the outlet the PC is plugged into is working, charged my phone with it.

What do you mean by shorting the power supply to turn it on? Sorry never done that before.

1 minute ago, Colonal-Kohler said:

I have double checked the power button is in the correct pins. I know the outlet the PC is plugged into is working, charged my phone with it.

What do you mean by shorting the power supply to turn it on? Sorry never done that before.

here is a guide on how to do it: http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick , you basically trick the PSU into turning on

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

got the server model and maybe a link to a manual so I can see what it is?

Did you not get redundant power supply on the server?

Iv reincarnated at dead pc by cleaning RAM contacts, use a air compressor on the socket and isopropyl on the pins.

You can test if a power supply is working by connecting the PS_ON pin to ground

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

here is a guide on how to do it: http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick , you basically trick the PSU into turning on

that guide is really really bad. its advice for a permanent job is to cover a paper clip in electrical tape. Its doesn't mention the name of the pin, just the colour of the wire, which can be different on non-standard power supplies. always check you socket against a drawing, especially for servers and prebuilt systems

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

that guide is really really bad. its advice for a permanent job is to cover a paper clip in electrical tape. Its doesn't mention the name of the pin, just the colour of the wire, which can be different on non-standard power supplies. always check you socket against a drawing, especially for servers and prebuilt systems

I googled it and figured it out since my wires are all black, jumpering it worked and it powered on the PSU.

2 minutes ago, Colonal-Kohler said:

Yes, the power supply turns on when that is jumpered.So it's not eh power supply then, do you agree it's the motherboard?

its the motherboard then, like its confirmed the motherboard is dead because the PSU works but there is no power to anything then its the motherboard

Builds:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

got the server model and maybe a link to a manual so I can see what it is?

Did you not get redundant power supply on the server?

Iv reincarnated at dead pc by cleaning RAM contacts, use a air compressor on the socket and isopropyl on the pins.

You can test if a power supply is working by connecting the PS_ON pin to ground

Here's the motherboard: http://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S7012_S7012GM4NR

I did not get a redundant power supply, I'm trying to do this on a budget. 

Wouldn't a problem with the RAM still let the motherboard at least power on the fans that's plugged into or something? And then it would just give an error code during post about the RAM? I'll try reseating them, and blowing them out.

clean your ram and check your CPU pins. even better remove CPU and RAM and see if the motherboard powers on and complains via PC speaker or LEDs

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_