New ram kit doesnt work in my laptop

Alesek

Hey, I have an Acer TravelMate 5742G with 4GB ram and I decided to substitute it with 8gb one. I bought this one http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-8gb-high-performance-laptop-memory-upgrade-kit-cmsx8gx3m1a1600c10 and took the old one out but now Windows doesnt boot - I get BSOD while windows is loading and memtest crashes after 2 seconds. I tried the ram in a different laptop, but memtest keeps freezing.

Is it possible it is crashing because the RAM frequency is set to the default (1333mhz i guess) because I cant change it in BIOS or is it just a faulty memory?  

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

1 minute ago, Alesek said:

Hey, I have an Acer TravelMate 5742G with 4GB ram and I decided to substitute it with 8gb one. I bought this one http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-8gb-high-performance-laptop-memory-upgrade-kit-cmsx8gx3m1a1600c10 and took the old one out but now Windows doesnt boot - I get BSOD while windows is loading and memtest crashes after 2 seconds. I tried the ram in a different laptop, but memtest keeps freezing.

Is it possible it is crashing because the RAM frequency is set to the default (1333mhz i guess) because I cant change it in BIOS or is it just a faulty memory?  

Sounds like you broke it.

Corsair ram is almost always never DOA, so id say you broke it during install

Were you wearing an anti-static wrist strap when installing?

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

Sounds like you broke it.

Corsair ram is almost always never DOA, so id say you broke it during install

Were you wearing an anti-static wrist strap when installing?

haha yes, I was. And I had to RMA 2 different corsair ram kits before so I guess I am unlucky. Anyways, it sounds like a dead kit, right?

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

1 minute ago, Alesek said:

haha yes, I was. And I had to RMA 2 different corsair ram kits before so I guess I am unlucky. Anyways, it sounds like a dead kit, right?

Probably.

Laptop RAM is a lot more susceptible to failures then desktop ram, due to the smaller space and higher temps.

Ive never had a problem with faulty Corsair ram, so id say try a different brand if Corsair isnt working out

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

The max ram supported is 8gb I don't think haveing it on one stick would make a difference but weirder things have happened.  

20 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Probably.

Laptop RAM is a lot more susceptible to failures then desktop ram, due to the smaller space and higher temps.

Ive never had a problem with faulty Corsair ram, so id say try a different brand if Corsair isnt working out

I guess RMA it is. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Cla55ifi3xd said:

The max ram supported is 8gb I don't think haveing it on one stick would make a difference but weirder things have happened.  

I bought one 8gb stick because it was on sale. Originally it had only one 4gb stick

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

3 minutes ago, Alesek said:

I guess RMA it is. Thanks

I bought one 8gb stick because it was on sale. Originally it had only one 4gb stick

Could have bought a 4gb stick and added it to the other just make sure they are compatible. 

If you're looking for brand suggestions, I've had good experience with G.Skill.  Had 4x 1GB DDR2-800 (red low-profile heatspreaders) in my previous desktop, have 4x 8GB DDR3-1600 red Ares in my desktop, and an 8GB + 2x 16GB DDR4-2133 Ripjaws (no heatspreaders cause they're SO-DIMMs) in my laptop.  Never had issues with them.  (I almost wonder if they might be good enough to use with something like FreeNAS, which strongly prefers ECC RAM for integrity.)

And @Cla55ifi3xd if he did that, it would have needed to be the exact same stick, for multi-channel compatibility.

9 minutes ago, Cla55ifi3xd said:

Could have bought a 4gb stick and added it to the other just make sure they are compatible. 

Yeah but they cost the same. Like this I can sell the the 4gb one :)

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

20 minutes ago, Alesek said:

Yeah but they cost the same. Like this I can sell the the 4gb one :)

Double the capacity and cheeper I can't blame you.