I got a possible problem with my CPU

So, my almost 8 year old PC is kind of falling apart at this moment; I get CPU overheating (not shutting down, but with HWMonitor it can reach up to 80/85ºC under heavy load.

My current RIG is this one: zSGMKa6.png

Plus, i've also been hearing coil whine, i think?; Because i keep hearing a really loud high-pitched buzzing from inside the computer, and i can't determine if it's the MB, PSU (which i don't think it is), HDD since it's moving and it's rather old, or my CPU.

I did the following things:

Cleaned the inside with my pencil (i'm pretty patient, so...what you gonna do).

Let it cool off for a while (even for a day sometimes, and still will rise the temp a lot under an hour or two of playing games)

Applied thermal paste to the heatsink (i did it 4 months ago, and since it was kind of wrongly applied, i cleaned it and applied it AGAIN two days ago).

Defragged the HDD.

Cleaned it with CCleaner.

Cleaned the Fan and made sure it's running as normal (it runs at 3k rpm as usual).

So, my questions would be:

1. Even while browsing on Firefox, CPU usage goes around 100% while initializing it for like 3 seconds, and then it goes up to 40 or 50% when i'm watching a video, and the CPU Temperature raises up to 70ºC (monitored by HW Monitor or Speccy, the same thing); Could it be that the CPU is pretty much dying, and i should replace it with some other CPU that has the same socket as the motherboard?

2. Sometimes a week ago, it shutted down randomly without the CPU or GPU (or even the MB) reaching any critical temps or voltages, but it didn't matter, because it turned off by itself without even giving me a BSOD (this excludes HDD and RAM issues as far as i'm concerned); What can i do to tell if the MB or PSU is dying? (i don't see any physical anormalities on the PSU or MB; No capacitors blown or leaking or anything).

3. What can cause the coil whine that i keep hearing?; Keep also in mind that the high-pitched buzzing sound ONLY occurs when loading...pretty much anything, basically. and "sometimes" it likes to be quiet, but most of the time it's kind of annoying if i don't have my headsets.

Thank you anybody who responds to this thread and gives any tips or advice.

Probably not your CPU, they rarely die. Not having any spare hardware makes it rather hard to troubleshoot, but if I had to guess, the power supply is dying.

5 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

What type of cpu cooler do you have. What does your case's air circulation look like? 

Sorry for the blurryness, but this is how my pc looks like:

index.jpg

dffbhsghsdgsdg.jpg

could be cpu fan making that whiny noise when cpu under load fan gets faster

also I use old clean paint brush to clean fans and fins on heatsink while pc is off. there is a fan in the psu as well

4 minutes ago, jools said:

could be cpu fan making that whiny noise when cpu under load fan gets faster

Nope, i stopped the fan half a second while doing the coil thing and it kept going.

2 minutes ago, jools said:

also I use old clean paint brush to clean fans and fins on heatsink while pc is off. there is a fan in the psu as well

I did that as well, still whining it seems.

EDIT: Also, i don't think fans really do that super high-pitched buzzing (seriously, it's probably just me since i had an ear surgery when i was a kid, but sometimes it can get intense as hell with the coil-whining...if it's even that)

Edited by Dyroo
Clearifying.

could be the psu then. listen carefully to locate sound , disable fans if you have too but not for long.

Alright...after i cut with cissors a little piece of wood, i touched with the tip of it slightly the capacitors of the MB, AND the mb itself, and it still made the sound.

Also touched the metal of the PSU, GPU and CPU, no vibration outside of the fans.

The weird thing, is that for example: Whenever i scroll down a Skype chat, the coil makes the annoying sound, but when the pc is staying still, the sound disappears, or it barely does it.

So, everytime i perform an action that makes SOMETHING work, it starts acting up; So i might discard the possibility of the PSU failing (prove me wrong, tho, if i am), since it would seem logical to do this sound the whole time, and the psu is always working, it ain't idle or anything.

What component can make the high-pitched noise whenever you, for example, execute a program, launch a game (and loads heavily), or even scrolls down a chat or a webpage?

Could it be the HDD, whenever it loads something it starts whining like hell?

Also, another note: Whenever i do the gpu stress with gpu-z, or the cpu stress with cpu-z, the coil whine goes CRAZY (not THAT unbareable, but you know, it does somewhat lot of high pitch buzz), and when i stop them, it goes almost entirely quiet.

EDIT: I did a test; While scrolling the Skype chat, CPU Usage on the windows task manager goes up to 50%, and so does the high-pitched noise, but when it drops down to 10% or 0%, it stops almost completely.

Does it mean that the CPU might be the cause of the intense noise whenever it's working under a heavy load?

2 hours ago, Dyroo said:

1. Even while browsing on Firefox, CPU usage goes around 100% while initializing it for like 3 seconds, and then it goes up to 40 or 50% when i'm watching a video, and the CPU Temperature raises up to 70ºC (monitored by HW Monitor or Speccy, the same thing); Could it be that the CPU is pretty much dying, and i should replace it with some other CPU that has the same socket as the motherboard?

There is nothing good worth upgrading to on that platform, it goes to 100% usage because it is really slow compared to modern cpus, and just can't handle the load.

Even one of the lowest end cpus today is over twice as powerful.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Athlon-64-X2-Dual-Core-5200--vs-Intel-Pentium-G4400/m1721vs3539

2 hours ago, Dyroo said:

2. Sometimes a week ago, it shutted down randomly without the CPU or GPU (or even the MB) reaching any critical temps or voltages, but it didn't matter, because it turned off by itself without even giving me a BSOD (this excludes HDD and RAM issues as far as i'm concerned); What can i do to tell if the MB or PSU is dying? (i don't see any physical anormalities on the PSU or MB; No capacitors blown or leaking or anything).

The motherboard would die when it stops working, it wouldn't slowly die this sound more like a psu problem then a motherboard issue.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •