BIOS issue with RX 480

I got my new RX 480 this morning and after installing it I got no video out, not even a POST. After working down the list of causes I was able to rule out the power supply, all delivery was okay. I also ruled out a dead card because it worked just fine on a different motherboard. The PCIe slot is fine because the old GPU works as well as an older one from the HTPC.

The last possible cause that I can find is that the card doesn't work with the motherboard's BIOS. I looked on the website and I'm pretty sure my BIOS is very old. The problem is that the auto update utility I ran from the desktop says it is up to date (which I'm 99% sure isn't true). I'm going to try the flash option from the BIOS itself but I'm expecting similar results. Can anyone give me some advice on making a bootable flash drive which is apparently necesarry for this motherboard to force a BIOS update.

My card is an XFX RX 480 GTR (1288 MHz)

My motherboard is a MSI P67A-C43(B3)

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I had the same issue with my Z77 board from Biostar and RX480 as well.  I had to turn the EFI mode in the BIOS from EFI mode back to Legacy.  Took me all morning a day over the weekend to figure that one out!  (Not quite sure it was EFI mode or something similar)

I'm looking at the download site and it doesn't have just the bios file, if you run it in a pendrive, does it extract the file there?
Then you'd try creating a bootable drive with rufus and use afudos

You can check your BIOS version with CPU-z

You'll have to update the BIOS with the old card obviously, and first try what @cpuwaiy said. That's a high chance of being the problem with new cards

This is a signature.

21 minutes ago, 79 Potatoes said:

I'm looking at the download site and it doesn't have just the bios file, if you run it in a pendrive, does it extract the file there?
Then you'd try creating a bootable drive with rufus and use afudos

You can check your BIOS version with CPU-z

You'll have to update the BIOS with the old card obviously, and first try what @cpuwaiy said. That's a high chance of being the problem with new cards

I think the download creates a file with an exe. I tried it once before but never suceeded in creatung the actual bootable USB. Can you link the sites for the programs you mentioned (I'm at dchool right ow and I'm also incredibly lazy).

I will also double change ck the BIOS version with CPUz. I can't remember what I used to check last time. I was trying to flash it for a more stable overclock.

39 minutes ago, cpuwaiy said:

I had the same issue with my Z77 board from Biostar and RX480 as well.  I had to turn the EFI mode in the BIOS from EFI mode back to Legacy.  Took me all morning a day over the weekend to figure that one out!  (Not quite sure it was EFI mode or something similar)

I saw someone online mentioned the same thing but I couldn't find the legacy option in the BIOS, just EFI enable or disable (I guess it's the same thing).

I'm going to give the BIOS settings another try before flashing. That's a headache that I would rather avoid if possible.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

33 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I think the download creates a file with an exe. I tried it once before but never suceeded in creatung the actual bootable USB. Can you link the sites for the programs you mentioned (I'm at dchool right ow and I'm also incredibly lazy).

I will also double change ck the BIOS version with CPUz. I can't remember what I used to check last time. I was trying to flash it for a more stable overclock.

I saw someone online mentioned the same thing but I couldn't find the legacy option in the BIOS, just EFI enable or disable (I guess it's the same thing).

I'm going to give the BIOS settings another try before flashing. That's a headache that I would rather avoid if possible.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

www.download3k.es/DownloadLink1-Asus-Afudos.html

The thing in the txt of afudos is the command for DOS

This is a signature.

There was no EFI legacy mode in the BIOS. I finally managed to flash the BIOS to a newer version and the card is now working.

Apparently to flash the BIOS the flash drive that you use needs to be in FAT32 file format, a detail that was overlooked by every tutorial that I tried to reference; even MSI's official YouTube tutorial. The only reason I figured this out was I was reading through the motherboard manual for answers.

The BIOS update was an exe in a compressed folder that I extracted to the FAT32 flash drive. After that I simply ran the exe and it took care of everything. It needs to stay in the system until you log into windows again.