PSU Coilwhine?

Arkitos

Hey there,

I wanted to ask if this "electric noise" from my PSU is normal or coilwhine or some other issue.

My PC overall is pretty quiet with the fans running on 400-500rpm but when everything is quiet and i dont wear headphones i hear a silent noise out of my PSU.

Also i'm having a Corsair AX760, so it's not really a PSU with cheap components in it.

Here's a video to show what noise i mean. Recorded with a Blue Snowball mic really close up to the PSU. Don't mind the clock in the background ^^

Hi i had the same issue on a  evga g2 psu in fact i still have it but only if i put my ear right next to my psu, i can hear the buzzing and it is the exact same as mine. If you run games on it or benchmarks for a while there is a chance that it will reseat the coils inside. Not sure if it will work for you as it did for me its nothing bad just really annoying. If it continues try to rma it. This is coilwhine.

Also if you just purchased this psu give it awhile some people think the coils need to be broken in, so theres a chance it might get better.

The coils vibrate at frequencies that they pick up but in case on PSU, there are lot of coils like transformers and inductors. Some may be lose wired and then it vibrates and that makes the sound of coil whine. It shouldn't be a problem but if you can't live with it then RMA it and try to ask for PSU that doesn't whine (that may be stupid tho :D )

PS for the electrical engineers: That's what they taught me in school. 

45 minutes ago, Powis21 said:

Also if you just purchased this psu give it awhile some people think the coils need to be broken in, so theres a chance it might get better.

I actually have it for quiet some time, like 1-2 years. I guess im going to rma it.

Thank u guys! :)