A bit confused about overclocking my GPU

gizmetti

Ok so here's the scenario. I put together my first ever liquid cooled build. Took about 14 hours and I learned a lot. Air cooled my GPU would sit at about 78c under load. Now it sits at about 38-40c under load. So that's obviously a huge difference in temperature. So my problem is that I'm not able to overclock my video card really any higher than I was able to when it was air cooled. I still get the same lock ups at the same threshold and I'm starting wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I have a GIGABYTE G1 1080GTX. I can get about +120 GPU and +360 MEM clocks but that's what I was doing air cooled. Every time I try to push it farther it locks up. Is this just the capacity of the card? Did I reach a dead end? Does anyone have a good scale to use for voltage to mhz? I think maybe I'm not adding the right voltage? Someone please give me some advice. I'd love to take advantage of all this work I did haha oh and I included a picture in case you guys wanted to see how I did on my first custom loop. Thanks!

IMG_0811.JPG

If you can't push the clock speed higher, start pushing the voltage a bit and continue pushing the clock speed. There is no voltage to clock speed relationship though. And even if a voltage bump doesn't get your more speed, that just means you lost the silicon lottery.

All i can say is that your card has reached its limit & you just didn't won the silicon lottery. You might be able to get a couple of more MHz but that's all that you might get but don't expect significant increase in frequency.

Does your bios have a 120% or 130% power target limit?   

I would try putting memory to stock and just trying to OC the core.

After you reach a limit to where it locks up or artifacts, drop the core down a bit.

Then run something like unigine valley benchmark and pause it.   With it pause bring up what ever OC tool you are using and up the memory and watch the FPS counter.  Up it tell you see the FPS go down then back the memory back down.   To high of memory OC can cause lower performance. 

Alot of these 1080 cards have bios with limited power targets of 110 or 120 and this will be the factor in an core OC wall if you have a good chip that can get OC higher then 2.1ghz.   

Good luck and have fun.

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

4 hours ago, doomsriker said:

Lower temps do not necessarily lead to higher overclock potential. All components have limits to what they can do.  

this, just because your gpu is running cooler it doesnt mean you can overclock the hell out of it.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire