I don't see screen tearing?

ShadyOrb09
Go to solution Solved by Kc7vwc,

On a 144hz panel, you shouldn't see it.

In Slower panels, it will depend on the game, and if vsync was enabled. 

I used to play WoW, and only saw it there while moving forward & rapidly spinning the camera. In shooters, i usually only saw it regularly on the muzzle flash of rapid fire weapons. 

But it can be one of those things you can't unsee, if you get OCD about it. I've had a couple games in the past where vsync was enabled by default, so that would keep tearing to minimum. 

Mostly, it only happens to vertical shapes when camera rotates in a hurry. 

Also, FPS counts under your panel's refresh rate should not have tearing. The panel will just delay a frame until it gets an update, so no tearing there either.

TL;dr - stop spinning, enable vsync = no tearing ;)

Hello, I just finished watching a video on Nvidia fast sync and they talked a lot about how much screen tearing bothered them, but how it doesn't as much anymore. I don't know if I'm just blind or crazy but I've never seen screen tearing before, I've seen still frame example pictures of it but I've never actually noticed it in-game. I'm currently using a 144hz monitor so maybe it's harder to notice, but even when I use to use a 60hz monitor I never recall seeing it.

Am I the only one in this boat or have many of you not seen screen tearing before? I've been playing PC for years and years and still have yet to see it, I'm by no means complaining, but It just interests me that everyone else seems to notice it but me.

Unless it's really big I don't really notice or care either, take it as a good thing - means you don't need to invest in more expensive monitors and/or gpus ;) 

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 @4.4GHz Motherboard: Intel DX79TO | Graphics Card: XFX RX 480 RS RAM:  16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3 @ 1600MHz Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: 1x Kingston UV400 120GB | 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 1x WD Green 1TB | PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W | Case: NZXT S340 White | Cooling: NZXT Kraken x31

Also depends on the type of games you play, As far as I remember people complained massively about it in GTA V where it was noticeable on lamp posts near the edge of the screen. I'm sure if you're looking for it you'll be able to see it. 

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

1 minute ago, Jekub said:

Also depends on the type of games you play, As far as I remember people complained massively about it in GTA V where it was noticeable on lamp posts near the edge of the screen. I'm sure if you're looking for it you'll be able to see it. 

I did play a lot of GTA V and haven't seen it there. I'm curious to look for it but I'm scared it's one of those things you seen and then can't un-see.

Could be your eye or that 144hz monitor. I have tried it myself and on a 144hz monitor its definetly less noticable even at the same fps. 

It could be just placebo though. I dont have any proof to back it up so I might be telling straight up lies.

I used to play WoW, and only saw it there while moving forward & rapidly spinning the camera. In shooters, i usually only saw it regularly on the muzzle flash of rapid fire weapons. 

But it can be one of those things you can't unsee, if you get OCD about it. I've had a couple games in the past where vsync was enabled by default, so that would keep tearing to minimum. 

Also, FPS counts under your panel's refresh rate should not have tearing. The panel will just delay a frame until it gets an update, so no tearing there either.

1 hour ago, ShadyOrb09 said:

Hello, I just finished watching a video on Nvidia fast sync and they talked a lot about how much screen tearing bothered them, but how it doesn't as much anymore. I don't know if I'm just blind or crazy but I've never seen screen tearing before, I've seen still frame example pictures of it but I've never actually noticed it in-game. I'm currently using a 144hz monitor so maybe it's harder to notice, but even when I use to use a 60hz monitor I never recall seeing it.

Am I the only one in this boat or have many of you not seen screen tearing before? I've been playing PC for years and years and still have yet to see it, I'm by no means complaining, but It just interests me that everyone else seems to notice it but me.

I'm kind of with you on this.  For the longest time I never noticed it either... until Far Cry 3.  And it was always in the cutscenes that had a lot of vegetation in them.  And it felt like once I realized what I was seeing was "screen tearing", I couldn't UNSEE it haha.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

1 hour ago, Kc7vwc said:

I'm so bad for not being able to unsee things, they bother the hell out of me so I have to find a way to fix them. Good to know that the 144hz monitor helps though, hopefully I never see it >.<.

Thanks

I noticed it at some points with my old 60hz panel in Tomb Raider (2013), that was the only game where i noticed it and it wasn't horrible either. 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG