Is there any saving my GPU?

Hi all, I've had some issues with my GPU in that two nights ago my pc crashed just after I got into a game of BF1 and wouldn't boot after (It'd only boot in safe mode and even then there was artifacting everywhere even on the bios). I've got it working using the integrated graphics and have deducted that my GPU may have just given out on me. I'm trying to investigate what may have killed it and if I could save it. I've tried re-installing the gpu 5 or 6 times without success, it gets past the windows logo and just goes to a black screen, without fail it does the exact same things each time I boot with the GPU installed. I don't have another gpu to test in the pc since I gave my old one to my cousin. I'm thinking that the PSU may have damaged it, It hadn't been running hot at all, around 32c idle and 60c load. I decided to check the 12v voltage output and it's saying 12.38v, is that more than normal? it doesn't seem like a huge amount but I don't know a huge amount about PSUs and voltages since I haven't really overclocked things other than the gpu but I can't change any voltages for it in afterburner. Does anyone have any ideas?

CPU: Intel 4590

MOBO: Asus H97-Pro

RAM: 12gb Kingston Hyper X

GPU: MSI r9 270 (not the X)

HDD: some random Samsung 7200rpm thing

PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 700W

Running Windows 10

well 12.38V is a bit high but that shouldent have straight up killed you GPU seeing as the 12V is for more then just the GPU.  the PSU isnt the best tbh so it might have been that

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the PSU isnt the best tbh so it might have been that

Thanks for the response. That's why I suspected it, I got it for $70au almost 3 years ago. it's not even 80+ rated. I think I'll get a new one that's 80+ rated since they aren't that expensive.

27 minutes ago, EggyFishLegs said:

Thanks for the response. That's why I suspected it, I got it for $70au almost 3 years ago. it's not even 80+ rated. I think I'll get a new one that's 80+ rated since they aren't that expensive.

yah heres a list to help you pick a pick a good one: 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah heres a list to help you pick a pick a good one: 

Thanks so much, this will be very helpful. I'm guessing there's not really much I can do to save the gpu though is there?

Just now, EggyFishLegs said:

Thanks so much, this will be very helpful. I'm guessing there's not really much I can do to save the gpu though is there?

you could try "bakeing it" but i think thats just a temporary solution because if its failed once it will fail again

Builds:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you could try "bakeing it" but i think thats just a temporary solution because if its failed once it will fail again

That seems kinda hit or miss. I'd rather just get a new one to be honest, the 1050 ti has arrived just in time, although I would prefer the 1060. I'll just stick with my integrated gpu for now I suppose. I was able to run BF1 on it before, albeit at the lowest resolution I've ever played a game at but it ran at 60fps.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Baking is exceptionally iffy on good results. I've baked two cards back to life from dozens of attempts. Baking essentially just reflows dead/broken connection points on the circuit board. If the GPU core is dying, it won't do anything. Baking a GPU is super SUPER specific and isn't at all a remedy.

If you bake a working GPU, you can kill it too. :/ 

But I agree that the PSU is the best option to go for here. Grab a high quality 500w and upgrade to something like an RX 460 since that's essentially equal to what you're using now.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

4 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

Baking is exceptionally iffy on good results. I've baked two cards back to life from dozens of attempts. Baking essentially just reflows dead/broken connection points on the circuit board. If the GPU core is dying, it won't do anything. Baking a GPU is super SUPER specific and isn't at all a remedy.

If you bake a working GPU, you can kill it too. :/ 

But I agree that the PSU is the best option to go for here. Grab a high quality 500w and upgrade to something like an RX 460 since that's essentially equal to what you're using now.

It's not a completely dead card since it works in safe mode but with a lot of graphical glitches and artifacts. I'm not going to bake it, since it probably won't do anything anyway. I'm looking at the Corsair CX series, my not really local but closest PC shop has a 10% off all GPU's and PSU's right now so I might end up getting that stuff tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

It sounds as though your graphics card has gone bad.

You said you tried re-installing 5 or 6 times, but do you mean you re-installed the drivers or did you physically remove and re-insert the card itself?

If it was only the drivers then open up the machine and take out the 290. While it's out, clean any dust out of the card and check the motherboard slot for bent contacts and dust, pet hair, etc. Then re-insert the 290 making sure it's fully seated. Also, check after it's re-installed, that the 290's fan(s) is running properly. (Power on)

If it still doesn't work, try replacing the 290 with a new RX 480. :)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

6 hours ago, Quaker said:

It sounds as though your graphics card has gone bad.

You said you tried re-installing 5 or 6 times, but do you mean you re-installed the drivers or did you physically remove and re-insert the card itself?

If it was only the drivers then open up the machine and take out the 290. While it's out, clean any dust out of the card and check the motherboard slot for bent contacts and dust, pet hair, etc. Then re-insert the 290 making sure it's fully seated. Also, check after it's re-installed, that the 290's fan(s) is running properly. (Power on)

If it still doesn't work, try replacing the 290 with a new RX 480. :)

I did infact completely remove the card and clean everything, the fans were spinning and it all seems like it should function normally. I hadn't checked for bent contacts but I can't see any now. I guess I'll be getting a new GPU soon then. I think I might get a new PSU today since there's a sale on at my local PC shop. Thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it.