Using iMac 27" (late 2009-2010) as a monitor for my gaming pc.

JeremyW

Okay, I am looking for a good monitor for my gaming pc. then I came across people who are willing to let go their old iMac at a very reasonable price so I thought why not buy an iMac which I can use as a Mac + using it as a external monitor for my ps4 + pc gaming.

I have spent the previous 2 hours researching on using iMac as a monitor (Target display mode ) for gaming, Specifically the late 2009 and 2010 models as those are the only ones that I can be used as an external monitor. I found that it is possible to connect ps4 and my pc gaming to iMac (2009 and 2010 27-inch) as an external monitor (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.) 

The other thing is that I'm wondering about response time and the latency and lag and also 60 or 144 hz. Im basically wondering if playing my games on an iMac will be equivalent to play game on other ASUS monitor for example. Anyone has any ideas?

This is not my area of expertise, but I don't think that's going to work out so well. I get the feeling that the response time, refresh rate, etc, won't be as good as a standalone display for the same price.

If you wanted to do it for aesthetic then that'd be one thing, but in terms of quality/dollar, it seems off to me.  

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Well you laptop monitor already has a set resolution and refresh rate. I've never heard of anyone using a laptop as a screen alone, but i've also had no experience with macs. It's all the same hardware so I would assume no but I couldn't tell you for sure

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

A 1080p IPS monitor will perform better and still look great for about the same price- assuming you're looking at $100 or so. I wouldn't pay a penny more for a 2009 iMac.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s2316m-23-ips-led-hd-monitor-black/4443601.p?skuId=4443601&ref=199&loc=8BacdVP0GFs&acampID=1&siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-FXJgFci5Bi266u2yVE.Jpg

And instead of getting an ancient Mac to use as a Mac, see if you can partition your Windows drive and do a Hackintosh install, or better still, just buy an SSD and put Hackintosh on that. Voila- a more elegant solution than a 7-year-old iMac.

1 hour ago, JeremyW said:

Okay, I am looking for a good monitor for my gaming pc. then I came across people who are willing to let go their old iMac at a very reasonable price so I thought why not buy an iMac which I can use as a Mac + using it as a external monitor for my ps4 + pc gaming.

I have spent the previous 2 hours researching on using iMac as a monitor (Target display mode ) for gaming, Specifically the late 2009 and 2010 models as those are the only ones that I can be used as an external monitor. I found that it is possible to connect ps4 and my pc gaming to iMac (2009 and 2010 27-inch) as an external monitor (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.) 

The other thing is that I'm wondering about response time and the latency and lag and also 60 or 144 hz. Im basically wondering if playing my games on an iMac will be equivalent to play game on other ASUS monitor for example. Anyone has any ideas?

As far as I know, Target display mode can only be used with other Mac computers. You may want to check on that.