So, I've been wanting to build a dual xeon rendering machine for a while now, but I wanted your guys suggestions on which processors are the best bang for the buck.

Requirements:

1: Quad core Xeon with HT

2: Under $150-$200

3: 8gb of ram or more

Wants:

1: Dual socket mobo with 2 quad core Xeons with HT

2: 16gb of ram or more

3: 2.5ghz clockspeed and above

Thanks guys :):DxD 

Main PC(no name yet): CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 1700, MOBO-ASRock AB350 K4, RAM-16gb G.Skill 3000MHz, GPU-Asus Strix GTX960 2gb, CPU Cooler-Stock Cooler rn, Storage-SanDisk 512gb SSD/OCZ Agility 4 128gb SSD/2TB Toshiba, CASE-Corsair Spec-02 Redshift Edition

Laptop: HP EliteBook Folio 9470m

6 hours ago, koolerone said:

So, I've been wanting to build a dual xeon rendering machine for a while now, but I wanted your guys suggestions on which processors are the best bang for the buck.

Requirements:

Wants:

The E5-2670s are pretty good budget Xeons, 8 Cores tho

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Hm, what kind of rendering are we talking about here?

Does it need to be a Xeon? You render 24/7 or something?

There could be a case where getting some GPU would be more beneficial. I'm talking based on my experience with After Effects...

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

I'm pretty sure it's only e5 xeons that can work in dual socket motherboards... 

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

1 hour ago, YoloSwag said:

Hm, what kind of rendering are we talking about here?

Does it need to be a Xeon? You render 24/7 or something?

There could be a case where getting some GPU would be more beneficial. I'm talking based on my experience with After Effects...

lll be editing and rendering videos in DaVinci Resolve, I just want something better than my pentium  g3258 since when i watch it to check if theres anything messed up before i render it, it lags like crazy and uses 100% of my cpu so.... I just want a cheap quad core xeon build i can make for under $200ish 

Main PC(no name yet): CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 1700, MOBO-ASRock AB350 K4, RAM-16gb G.Skill 3000MHz, GPU-Asus Strix GTX960 2gb, CPU Cooler-Stock Cooler rn, Storage-SanDisk 512gb SSD/OCZ Agility 4 128gb SSD/2TB Toshiba, CASE-Corsair Spec-02 Redshift Edition

2 minutes ago, koolerone said:

lll be editing and rendering videos in DaVinci Resolve, I just want something better than my pentium  g3258 since when i watch it to check if theres anything messed up before i render it, it lags like crazy and uses 100% of my cpu so.... I just want a cheap quad core xeon build i can make for under $200ish 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/837wrH/intel-cpu-bx80621e52650

8 cores with HT

2 minutes ago, koolerone said:

http://ark.intel.com/products/64595/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2670-20M-Cache-2_60-GHz-8_00-GTs-Intel-QPI

They're about £60 each on eBay

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

11 hours ago, koolerone said:

Requirements:

Wants:

I mean, how much do you have for this rendering machine?

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

The E5-2670s are pretty good budget Xeons, 8 Cores tho

Those will go for $150USD a pair, and about $350-$400USD for a board

11 hours ago, koolerone said:

Requirements:

3: 8gb of ram or mor

With that low of a budget, you have to go used, either lga 1366/2011, with lga 201- you can get the cpus for like $20 a pair, for the cheaper quad cores, but the boards are going to be atleast $100-$150USD.

1 hour ago, incarnate said:

I'm pretty sure it's only e5 xeons that can work in dual socket motherboards... 

Only e5/e7 2xxx, 4xxx and 8xxx cpus, and older 54xx/55xx/56xx

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

4 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Thx, funny enough i was looking at xeons and found that exact one earlier, i think im gonna convince my dad to help me pay for one of those and a mobo xD 

5 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

I mean, how much do you have for this rendering machine?

and i think the most i could get my dad to pay (I'd pay him back when I get the $$$) is like $150-$200, and I already have like $85 (im going to buy GTAV tho since its on sale on steam) so like $50 from me plus however much I can "loan" from my dad :/ 

52 minutes ago, koolerone said:

and i think the most i could get my dad to pay (I'd pay him back when I get the $$$) is like $150-$200, and I already have like $85 (im going to buy GTAV tho since its on sale on steam) so like $50 from me plus however much I can "loan" from my dad :/ 

$150-$200 for the whole machine???, and you want dual xeons, go look up prices for dual socket boards a dual lga 1366 board will $100USD used, and a dual 2011 board will be $350 used for just the motherboard not even including the cpus, or any other parts.

For that budget you would be looking at lga 771 if you want dual cpus which are quite frankly terrible, my suggestion is to look for used parts like an older dell/hp workstations with a sandybridge, or nehalem cpu like an i5 2400, or an e3 v1 xeon, and put in a gpu, you may need a new psu for the gpu.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

3 hours ago, SLAYR said:

$150-$200 for the whole machine???, and you want dual xeons, go look up prices for dual socket boards a dual lga 1366 board will $100USD used, and a dual 2011 board will be $350 used for just the motherboard not even including the cpus, or any other parts.

For that budget you would be looking at lga 771 if you want dual cpus which are quite frankly terrible, my suggestion is to look for used parts like an older dell/hp workstations with a sandybridge, or nehalem cpu like an i5 2400, or an e3 v1 xeon, and put in a gpu, you may need a new psu for the gpu.

I know that I wont be able to do dual Xeons for $200...I was just saying I'd like to have dual Xeons in the future :P, but I've found parts to build a quad core, HTed, with 16gb of ECC and a dell MOBO for about $162 so....yah.

I already have a PSU and case (probably wont fit in case but I'll find somewhere to put it) but yah...

3 hours ago, SLAYR said:

heres the links for the parts

cpu http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2650-2GHz-Eight-Core-CM8062100856218-Processor-SR0KQ-/191999229019?hash=item2cb40bbc5b:g:6jYAAOSwmLlYBRSs

mobo http://www.ebay.com/itm/131955919942 (i know that that mobo sale is about to end but he'll probably put it back up/theres other mobos like that around the same price)

ram http://www.ebay.com/itm/302103029494

1 hour ago, koolerone said:

mobo http://www.ebay.com/itm/131955919942 (i know that that mobo sale is about to end but he'll probably put it back up/theres other mobos like that around the same price)

There is a reason why oem boards are so cheap, they will not fit in any standard atx case look the rear io and how it sticks out, they only take 5 pin dell fans on the motherboard headers without them you will get errors everytime the board boots, the front io requires a seperate daughterboard, and cables to get the board to even turn on, and then you will most likely need a psu that is better or as good as the oem one in respect to the amperages on each of the rails, some dell oem boards won't boot with a 3.3v rail with a lower the stock amperage.

Also with oem boards the bios may have a password set on them preventing changes because they are used in companies, and they lock them down, hopefully the seller can provide you with this.

If you look up the price of a decent one like a x79 board,or any supermicro board they will be $200+, I would not suggest going for the cheap knock-off looking boards that don't list a maker that are under $200. If you go for the oem board you are better off buying a complete system that will have all the necessary parts.